Cheap Car? Suggestions?

RAZZELL

30 minutes ago, androokery said:

Even a cheaper car spending most of its time just being parked is also a massive waste of money.

You live in Bangkok. You rarely need a car - and when you do need one you can rent. Or let someone else drive you.

Think of the sweet delivery from any kind of vehicular responsibilities like cleaning, checking, fixing, servicing, parking, etc

I live in a city - well, on the outskirts - and I sold my car a few months ago after being a car owner for 30+ years. It has been great:)

OK... lets go to Koh Samet... 

I'll pack the car and go...  my Wife will book a hotel on the way.

You will have to hire a car, but first find somewhere in town that has cars for rent with last minute availability, you won't be able to, you'll have to go out to the airport to collect and return it, then you'll have to make sure its adequately insured etc... and then drop it off at the same place at the end (the airport)... Or, as you say you can pay someone to drive for you, but then it will cost 4000 baht or so each way - would you still think as freely about traveling to Koh Samet on a Whim if its was going to cost you 8000 baht in Transport alone? OK.. go in a van, it'll take an age to get there and you'll be taking your life in an idiot (van drivers) hands... 

While we were 'in-between' cars last year my Wife and I were unable to find a car to hire for 2 weeks. The insurance was either inadequete or they could not rent out for the full 2 weeks (we tried all the major's and some minor companies) - Ones that did have an available car were charging extortionate rates. 

Thus... Don't pretend that not having a car is more convenient than having a car, it's not. Especially with kids. Parking is very rarely an issue in Bangkok and at the times it is you can park nearby or those are the times you take a taxi.

Our car is used daily, we couldn't get our son to school safely without it. 

If you can afford it, having a small car is a great convenience, if you can't afford it you can make all the excuses you like - but the reality is those who can afford a car have one. 

4 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

OK... lets go to Koh Samet... 

I'll pack the car and go...  my Wife will book a hotel on the way.

You will have to hire a car, but first find somewhere in town that has cars for rent with last minute availability, you won't be able to, you'll have to go out to the airport to collect and return it, then you'll have to make sure its adequately insured etc... and then drop it off at the same place at the end (the airport)... Or, as you say you can pay someone to drive for you, but then it will cost 4000 baht or so each way - would you still think as freely about traveling to Koh Samet on a Whim if its was going to cost you 8000 baht in Transport alone? OK.. go in a van, it'll take an age to get there and you'll be taking your life in an idiot (van drivers) hands... 

While we were 'in-between' cars last year my Wife and I were unable to find a car to hire for 2 weeks. The insurance was either inadequete or they could not rent out for the full 2 weeks (we tried all the major's and some minor companies) - Ones that did have an available car were charging extortionate rates. 

Thus... Don't pretend that not having a car is more convenient than having a car, it's not. Especially with kids. Parking is very rarely an issue in Bangkok and at the times it is you can park nearby or those are the times you take a taxi.

Our car is used daily, we couldn't get our son to school safely without it. 

If you can afford it, having a small car is a great convenience, if you can't afford it you can make all the excuses you like - but the reality is those who can afford a car have one. 

Perhaps it’s different if you have kids.  I will concede that point.  But to say that those who prefer not to own a car here (myself included) can’t afford one is misplaced snobbery.  I’ll gladly pay the ฿4000 each way (as I have done multiple times in the past) to have a driver chauffeur me to my destination.

5 hours ago, mvsaraburi said:

Mitsubishi Evo 7s and 8s are quite cheap (In fact saw one modded to 780 bhp for sale for under 800k recently)

A complete animal on twisty bumpy roads - had 2 highly modified ones in england, loved them.

Second that so far I found Evo/E-car and JZ swapped retro bimmer are best bang for horses, perhaps because they look like normal sedan so price never overbloated

6 hours ago, Airalee said:

It’s amazing how skewed my perception has become with regards to car values after living here for 8 years.  You are so right...anything that has an ounce of “coolness” is overpriced.

Sorry to hear about your friends 87.  I sold my 88 to a friend who spun out and basically totaled the thing while driving through the mountains in Colorado.  It’s probably still in the shop getting repaired...but he’s a Porsche mechanic/collector so he couldn’t let a sunroof delete example go to the graveyard.

My friend also devoted to restore his 87 Carrera, when he bought the car we were both amateurs barely know welding now he's fabricated large chunk of car body himself, having new panels in better steel and hot dipped for longevity, according to him the 80s Porsche body isn't fully galvanized so they rust faster than later peers

He's also kind of people don't modify power and like to keep everything factory-accurate. Never understand them but sure respect his love for the car????

48 minutes ago, Coremouse said:

My friend also devoted to restore his 87 Carrera, when he bought the car we were both amateurs barely know welding now he's fabricated large chunk of car body himself, having new panels in better steel and hot dipped for longevity, according to him the 80s Porsche body isn't fully galvanized so they rust faster than later peers

He's also kind of people don't modify power and like to keep everything factory-accurate. Never understand them but sure respect his love for the car????

Actually fwiw, Porsche started fully galvanizing their cars in the mid 70s

https://presskit.porsche.de/specials/en/porsche-1mio-911/topic/the-innovations-of-the-911/id-1975-galvanised-body.html

I can see we have car fans here...cheap runabouts and we start talking about Porsches! ????

Evo's are great cars - I remember being in a few from the same guy who imported them from Japan ( a lot of stolen ones/ringers were knocking about - had to check to see if they got in through the boot lock and if it was resprayed)

I can't see my Mrs driving an EVO! SCARY thought!

To get back on topic...I'm not a big fan of driving in Bangkok but it is the convenience factor really.

We also have a few business ideas which would require a car to get about etc.

RAZZ

I hopefully shall be in the market soon.Heard very good reports about the Honda city or maybe for a touch more power and money the Toyota Altis,but trying to find a low mileage one ain't easy as they are the taxi drivers choice of car.My son in the uk has just paid £1000 under 40k baht for a 2007 immaculate Mini Cooper with 45,000 miles.Ive just seen a 2005 model with 120,000km for 850,000 baht,but everythings relevant,here pay expensive sell expensive,UK buy cheap sell cheap.

800,000 baht should buy you a Ford Ranger, 4 door, 2.2 Turbo, we purchased this instead of the Isuzu MU-X which was 400,000 baht more expensive and as I was paying for it, had the last say.

My wife feels safe in the Ranger and loves it, as it's high up, goes when you want it too.

We have had ours for almost 4 years without an issue, got the back tray an electric cover so shopping doesn't get wet, and it's great for carrying stuff around, plus 4 kids ????

Don't know about Bangkok, but have driven it from Issan to Bangkok, Hua Hin, Pattaya and it's like being in a plane.

Highly recommend and would NEVER buy 2nd hand here as you could be buying a lemon and have little recall, if any, and a new car holds its value well.

20 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

800,000 baht should buy you a Ford Ranger, 4 door, 2.2 Turbo, we purchased this instead of the Isuzu MU-X which was 400,000 baht more expensive and as I was paying for it, had the last say.

My wife feels safe in the Ranger and loves it, as it's high up, goes when you want it too.

We have had ours for almost 4 years without an issue, got the back tray an electric cover so shopping doesn't get wet, and it's great for carrying stuff around, plus 4 kids ????

Don't know about Bangkok, but have driven it from Issan to Bangkok, Hua Hin, Pattaya and it's like being in a plane.

Highly recommend and would NEVER buy 2nd hand here as you could be buying a lemon and have little recall, if any, and a new car holds its value well.

The "outlaws" have got the old shape Ranger. I quite like it. 

RAZZ

Someone mentioned Chevy Trialblazers and I see they have depreciated quite a bit from new.  Any reason for this besides it being a Chevy?  Are they a lot less reliable than Toytotas, Mitsubishis etc.?

They are unpopular. GM builds a fine product and s late model used would be a good choice, particularly if you’re in Bangkok with plenty of dealers around.

Archived