Crackdown on tourists in Pattaya! "Arabs" without driving licences surrounded

webfact

5pm1.jpg
Picture: Pattaya Update News

Pattaya Update News reported on Facebook that a contingent of regular police and traffic cops were out in force in South Pattaya just after midnight this morning. 

The whole Soi Yen Sabai and Soi VC area was surrounded after complaints about Arabs making a noise on motorbikes. 

Some fled but many were upset about having their bikes seized. 

Twenty vehicles were taken in. Many had been illegally adapted with exhausts to make more noise.

5pm2 copy.jpg

Picture: Pattaya Update News

The news media said that the crackdown was on all tourists - but especially Arabs. 

And the shops that rented to them were also being fined if the people renting did not have international licences. 

An unspecified number of shops were fined 2,000 baht for each case. 

What happened to the tourists was not reported on this occasion. 

The crackdown appears twofold - dealing with gangs of tourists going about making noise on bikes and shops renting to them who flout the regulations. 

Pattaya Update News called the riders "Chao Arab" (Arabs) without specifying nationality, notes Thaivisa. 

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Moonlover said:

What's this got to do with Arabs on noisy motorcycles?

It has everything to do with the BiB subjectively enforcing one noise ordinance, but not others.

By the way, since you are reading this thread, I suppose the only thing that captured your attention was that it was about Arabs. I suppose if the Arabs were squeezing rubber duckies and making a racket, it too would have piqued your interest.

This article is more to do with enforcing noise ordinances; not Arabs. 

1 minute ago, BestB said:

Only guessing but might be because it’s a Buddhist country, just like church bells in your home country 

I think some people are knocking the fact that there is a well established muslim community in Thailand.

3 minutes ago, BestB said:

Only guessing but might be because it’s a Buddhist country, just like church bells in your home country 

Church bells rarely ring in my country, and if they did, it would not be at earlier hours of the morning.

2 hours ago, Kim J said:

Any campaign by the Police to reduce antisocial behaviour has to be applauded, in particular something that might help to improve Thailand's woeful road safety record. But I do wonder when they are planning to do the same to all the Thai males that constantly mirror the exact behaviour this latest crackdown has targetted, also all the Thai renters that do not check licences. I do hope we can see that happening soon.

I agree with what has been posted above and must also say that I would be very surprised if the people renting these motorcycles had adapted the silencers for the bikes this must have therefore been modifications made by the owners of the bikes. I also agree with the comment regarding locals, on Pattaya Road 3 the noise that some bikes make especially early morning is ridiculous and the police do nothing, plus they Thai's ride 3+ on one motorbike and no helmets between them. This type of dual standards has to stop, no wonder the tourist numbers are down..!!

Many comments from those who've no experience. Two in a photo with helmets, I have NEVER EVER in years, seen an Arab in these sois with a helmet. And they do NOT have noisy motorbikes. They travel 2 to a bike round and round staying in one place for a while, then up and in convoy off to another place. Just irritating but not illegal. If they have no licences then they should be fined but don't expect the cops to stop the flow of "customers" from the shops. 

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

I think some people are knocking the fact that there is a well established muslim community in Thailand.

Why do you think that the article only states Arabs, not ALL Arabs are Muslim.

3 hours ago, KhunKenAP said:

Guess Arabian countries no longer on the TAT target list of quality tourists.

They never really were. I remember many pars in Pattaya with signs saying "No f---------g Arabs allowed.

P.S. That's not my personal view. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

No problem….the police can take the modified bikes….but our resourceful Arab friends are already ‘pimping out’ their new rides.

pimp 3.JPG

4 hours ago, Gumballl said:

It has everything to do with the BiB subjectively enforcing one noise ordinance, but not others.

By the way, since you are reading this thread, I suppose the only thing that captured your attention was that it was about Arabs. I suppose if the Arabs were squeezing rubber duckies and making a racket, it too would have piqued your interest.

The whole Soi Yen Sabai and Soi VC area was surrounded after complaints about Arabs making a noise on motorbikes. The news media said that the crackdown was on all tourists - but especially Arabs. 

I would say that the article is MAINLY concerned with Arabs making noise on motorbikes!

P.S. You don't happen to be an Arab, do you?

5 hours ago, Gumballl said:

5 hours ago, Gumballl said:

"the crackdown was on all tourists - but especially Arabs". Are you blind or what? 

29 minutes ago, sambum said:

The whole Soi Yen Sabai and Soi VC area was surrounded after complaints about Arabs making a noise on motorbikes. The news media said that the crackdown was on all tourists - but especially Arabs. 

I would say that the article is MAINLY concerned with Arabs making noise on motorbikes!

P.S. You don't happen to be an Arab, do you?

No, I am not. I am also not a bigot; not that I am accusing you or anyone else of such, but some of the posts in this thread seem to suggest such.

Archived