Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

8 hours ago, Metapod said:

Exchange rate is bad, costs are going up, visas are getting a lot harder to get, and more competitive alternatives are arising.

it isn't really surprising stuff. Thailand ain't that cheap anymore. Aussie dollar is like 21.7 thb these days. A lot of things are cheaper back in Aus now,

But it is cheap. Your relating the price to the exchange rate which is due to the economic performance of your own Country.

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 5:05 PM, sharpjwe said:

This to protect the children 

how can parents poison their own offspring 

good law for sure 

8 hours ago, Matzzon said:

That´s great news! Maybe the bigger part of all foreign criminalty in Thailand can move to Vietnam too. Then this nice country can go back to what it once was.

Well said.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cheapcanuck said:

I was one of those tourist who went to Vietnam. It was refreshing change from Thailand. I intend on going back to Vietnam for longer period of time. Which will cut into my visit time to Thailand in the future. Bottom line, my tourist dollars will be going elsewhere and not stopping in Thailand.

Me too, tried Vietnam for brief breaks and now Phucket, Pattaya and co can swivel. 

Sanook has vanished in the Thai tourist resorts and the average Thai just doesn’t appear happy anymore so for me it’s not just about the currency exchange rates.

I live in Udon and outside of the tourist areas attitudes are fine.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, wisperone said:

Must be the new northern Africa program being so successful.

If you read the article elsewhere on TV. it was the Japanese, up 11%+

Now we need a stereotype for the Japanese. We've had the surly, drunk Russians, Then the zero-dollar, street crapping Chinese, now the four to a drink, five to a woman Indians.

What xenophobic tag can TV'ers come up with for the Japanese? We should have a competition. ????

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, HeyHeyHey said:

For someone throwing useless graphs and stats provided by military government you sure lie up to your missing teeth when it suits your trolling.

Vietnam had 15.5 million arrivals in 2018. Up from just 5 million in 2010.

https://www.vietnam-briefing.com/news/vietnams-tourism-industry-continues-growth-2018.html/

Thailand has as many tourists in 2 weeks as Vietnam has all year.  Is that clear? 42 million divided by 52 times 2. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, KhaoYai said:

If they are worried about Vietnam, wait until Myanmar opens up and gets going. Take a look at the map of the Myanmar coast - thousands of small islands. Of course it needs development and not least, investment. It may be a way off but Thailand needs to be prepared.

Unfortunately sounds like the pickings of the next Chinese frontier.

Bottle of beer in the philly's 20b cambo & vietnam same i would miss the food in thailand but a change can be good as other tourists have found out.ps i myself are happy here and except for some lovely islands in the philly's would never move there i am talking about the average tourist staying short term.

Edited by stubby52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

It started a couple of years ago with men from India involved in fake marriages to Thai women and from there Thailand began to see a rising amount of middle class people from India and China taking advantage of marriage and retirement visas.  Both of those countries have the population to completely change Thailand.  And has been said many times on this thread and others like it Europeans don't like to vacation in the same place as Chinese and people from India. 

It would seem that you are saying in one post that Thailand does not want the poorer type of Western ex pat retiree here, and in another you are saying that Thailand does not want the the wealthier middle class retiree from India or China. And your final sentence seems to imply that you would not encourage "Chinese and people from India" as it would discourage Europeans!!! I am still confused!

• Like 1

So even Thai businesses are starting to call the TAT on its happy statistics.  

There are lies, damn lies, statistics - and then the reality on the ground.  It's easier to open your eyes and look at reality.  Statistics simply attempts to paint over the reality you can see with your own eyes.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, lkv said:

I like how you inflate the numbers. Firstly, the reported number by TAT is 38M not 42M.

That 38M, TAT is likely lying through their teeth (they have been caught doing that many times before), rumour is its closer to 24M.

Vietnam currently stands at 15.5M in 2018.

Now Marcus, do you want to divide the fake 38M into 15.5M or the likely real 24M into 15.5M?

42 million in 2019

20 minutes ago, sambum said:

It would seem that you are saying in one post that Thailand does not want the poorer type of Western ex pat retiree here, and in another you are saying that Thailand does not want the the wealthier middle class retiree from India or China. And your final sentence seems to imply that you would not encourage "Chinese and people from India" as it would discourage Europeans!!! I am still confused!

Rank Thai dislike UK, USA, Europe, India, China.  Thais do not believe any expat from UK, Europe, USA can't put 800k in the bank.  It never occurred to them the restrictions would bother expats already here. 

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Source is Trading economics

Source on Trading Economics is Bank of Thailand.

You can equal that to: the source of your data is uncle P.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, lkv said:

Source on Trading Economics is Bank of Thailand.

You can equal that to: the source of your data is uncle P.

How come you don't believe TAT but you do believe VAT?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/981987/vietnam-number-international-tourist-arrivals/

These fellers say 12.1m of whom 4.99m were Chinese?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Bank of Thailand does tourist arrivals?

No, that's TAT. Bank of Thailand takes care of other strange indicators.

They all respond to the Central Comittee.