Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

1 minute ago, Traubert said:

How come you don't believe TAT but you do believe VAT?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/981987/vietnam-number-international-tourist-arrivals/

These fellers say 12.1m of whom 4.99m were Chinese?

Ok fair enough. Let's then divide fake 38M with fake 15.5M

And let's assume they both inflate.

Tourism is growing in Vietnam.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

Would you trust a man who came to your country with no money?  And said, "trust me I have money in the bank of Mumbai."

1 hour ago, FarFlungFalang said:

As a rule I don't trust anybody who says "trust me".

1 hour ago, cnx355 said:

Maybe if this man has a proper visa and legit bank account I may trust him ….

This is actually 3 fantastic posts that all totally missed the point. Would you trust somebody that say? No? Maybe if? <deleted>???

The reality is that you have to show proof! Ok, no can do. Right, there is always Vietnam and more. I do really wonder if it is so good, though? In that case, why is it so many that complains if it only can get better?

Just stop complaining all the time. Get in line, and own up to your stay in this country.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

You must have misunderstood my post.  I was booking hotel accommodations for the family who came and had a nice weekend on the beach and shopping.  

Not really into humour are you?

9 hours ago, Matzzon said:

That´s great news! Maybe the bigger part of all foreign criminalty in Thailand can move to Vietnam too. Then this nice country can go back to what it once was.

A sleepy backwater?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, ukrules said:

A sleepy backwater?

If that´s what you thought about it when you came here, why are you still talking about it? Or maybe it was your way of degrading the country and a big effort to be funny?

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

This is actually 3 fantastic posts that all totally missed the point. Would you trust somebody that say? No? Maybe if? <deleted>???

The reality is that you have to show proof! Ok, no can do. Right, there is always Vietnam and more. I do really wonder if it is so good, though? In that case, why is it so many that complains if it only can get better?

Just stop complaining all the time. Get in line, and own up to your stay in this country.

I have not seen anyone complain who had the 800k in the bank for any length of time.  Most just leave it there.  Some guys have a lot more guts than me that they would move to an Asian country without a substantial amount of cash in the bank.  I'd have been afraid to come. 

But this thread is about tourism and most of the posts are about non tourists who were trying to stay on a tourist visa. 

Why would a tourist go to Vietnam as opposed to Thailand 10 years ago.  I think most of information that tourists get is at least 10 years old.  They don't know about the governments of either country or about Visa things or lines at the airport. 

But I'm not a good example because I'd have nightmares if I went to Vietnam so I'm not a good person to comment only about the Thai side of this topic and the obvious statistics that make Vietnam a 3rd world country that will take 20 years to get where Thailand is today.

Edited by marcusarelus
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I have not seen anyone complain who had the 800k in the bank for any length of time.  Most just leave it there.  Some guys have a lot more guts than me that they would move to an Asian country without a substantial amount of cash in the bank.  I'd have been afraid to come. 

There is no need for complaining for all the guys and dames that have the required amount. The only ones that have to worry is the ones that been trying to cheat the system as long as it has lasted. The end of days always comes.

22 minutes ago, lkv said:

Ok fair enough. Let's then divide fake 38M with fake 15.5M

And let's assume they both inflate.

Tourism is growing in Vietnam.

Not my numbers.

Asian tourism is growing in Vietnam. From the 12.1m only 202k were from outside Asia. Westerners aren't abandoning Thailand for Vietnam. They're staying home.

China has a 785 mile border with Vietnam with a few dozen crossing points. That's where their growth is coming from.

Now let's recap on Chinese tourists shall we? ????

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jane Dough said:

Beer never was cheap in Thailand. 

Rooster

Compared to the UK at that time, beer/lager was cheap in Thailand (less than a pound a bottle) when a bottle of lager in the UK cost more than 2 pounds. Now, at 80 baht a bottle (more than 2 pounds) it is not cheap compared to the UK.

10 minutes ago, Booboo101 said:

Let’s face it, this military government has destroyed Thailand, they’ve destroyed the tourist market and the lives of most expats with their constant meddling with visas, money kept in the bank and having to notify immigration every time you leave the house, the PM treats foreigners like we’re recruits in the army.....do as your told, obey all the rules, don’t ask questions.....we’re only one step behind Burma now !

It was the government before military that started many negative trends.  Three embassies wrecked the lives of their expats who didn't have cash in the bank.  I think you are wrong, not that I'd not rather have a democracy but it's still a long way from the governments of Burma, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.  

9 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

wait a minute..

if visitors from china, europe, oceania and the middle east are down but tourism is still up where are the new tourists coming from?

russia, india? they dont have the numbers to offset europe never mind china, so are they counting surrounding countries too?

this cannot be good either way (well for thailand, good for me :D)

Eh? India has twice as many people as Europe

20 minutes ago, Booboo101 said:

Let’s face it, this military government has destroyed Thailand, they’ve destroyed the tourist market and the lives of most expats with their constant meddling with visas, money kept in the bank and having to notify immigration every time you leave the house, the PM treats foreigners like we’re recruits in the army.....do as your told, obey all the rules, don’t ask questions.....we’re only one step behind Burma now !

Regarding my Thai friend, a psychiatrist, the Junta has created quite a lot of different problems for younger and older people.

Of course also for the rest. 

The suicide rate was never so high amongst Thais.

They haven't just destroyed the country for tourists, they've destroyed it for their own folks. For the future of this country. 

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

But this thread is about tourism and most of the posts are about non tourists who were trying to stay on a tourist visa. 

Why would a tourist go to Vietnam as opposed to Thailand 10 years ago.  I think most of information that tourists get is at least 10 years old.  They don't know about the governments of either country or about Visa things or lines at the airport. 

But I'm not a good example because I'd have nightmares if I went to Vietnam so I'm not a good person to comment only about the Thai side of this topic and the obvious statistics that make Vietnam a 3rd world country that will take 20 years to get where Thailand is today.

How can you speculate that most tourists use at least  10 year old information and pass it off as a valid point ?

• Like 2

i just was in los and left in exactly one week.. i just got disgust as i've never been before.. in comapred pi,viet were just so refreshing and authentic... don't stay in your comfort zone if you feel it's not as good as it was there are so many options those and much better than los!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Anyway, here is the beach:

beach.jpg.817aa04fef38ea5fc89013b49da80b32.jpg

The only person on this beautiful beach was me..... oh, no hotels, no restaurants, nothing.

Patong beach in Phuket looked a lot like this the first time I went there in June 1983.  Sure there were a few more people but no high rise hotels.  

3 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I. for one, am listening to him because he points out things that are real and are a problem.   Sometimes, the truth hurts.  It doesn't mean we do not like Thailand or Thai people.

The charts you presented are fine but they do not represent the fact that  Westerners are in short supply in Thailand and the reasons they are not coming have been spoken about in the forum.

There is no doubt that many tourists are giving Thailand a pass and going to other countries and even the Chinese are not coming in prior numbers.

There is a reason for all this and those who depend on tourists should listen to the reasons why people are not coming.  A smart business person listens to his/her customers or potential customers and never dismisses their complaints.

There are many people on this forum that have a love for Thailand and its culture and want the country to succeed.  

As I said , sometimes the real truth can hurt but it is not always meant fo be destructive but a positive force for making the right changes.

But people are coming. It not the truth he say.

That the point. That the chart I post.

i was at my friend elephant village today. 21 bus full of chinese tourist.

Here another one. 

Better to look at truth, don’t listen to him, he don’t know.

60A6FB8E-C346-48F2-8A42-7FA81B8AA663.png

Edited by Yinn
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, emptypockets said:

Don't let facts get in the way of his oh so predictable rant.

Here another one.. 

other country should learn from us. 

1409C96A-799C-4B9B-BAB3-700188BC99FD.png

• Haha 1