Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

Hehe. Check this out.

Survey results released Tuesday by the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism, reveal the average daily spending by the Chinese increased from $118.6 in 2014 to $130 last year. Compared to other regional countries, the daily spending was below that of Chinese visitors in Thailand ($180), Indonesia ($183) and Singapore ($446).  

https://www.ampe.vnexpress.net/news/travel-life/vietnam-cashes-in-on-spending-boom-by-chinese-tourists-3825698.html

Vietnam has to handle issues like new payment methods and zero dong tours to actually reap the benefits of the great inflow of Chinese tourists.

Various media reports point out that many of these tourists have arrived in Vietnam through so-called “zero dong tours”organized by Chinese tourist companies. During these tours, Chinese tourists stay at Chinese-run hotels, eat at Chinese restaurants, and shop at Chinese shopping outlets. They also use Chinese tour guides instead of local ones. Just like the use of Chinese e-wallet services, these problems reduce the trickle-down effect of Chinese tourists to the economy and local businesses.

https://ampe.vnexpress.net/news/perspectives/spike-in-chinese-tourists-presents-new-challenges-for-vietnam-3814121.html?vn_source=amp_detail&vn_medium=box_relatedtop&vn_campaign=boxtracking

Zero dong tours.

Rings a bell?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Metapod said:

Exchange rate is bad, costs are going up, visas are getting a lot harder to get, and more competitive alternatives are arising.

it isn't really surprising stuff. Thailand ain't that cheap anymore. Aussie dollar is like 21.7 thb these days. A lot of things are cheaper back in Aus now,

Especially golf ! Which is very expensive in Thailand 

Survey results released by John Lindquist at the Vietnam Travel and Tourism Summit Wednesday showed that foreign tourists spent $96 a day on average in Vietnam last year, three times lower than in Singapore ($325), and well below that of the Philippines ($115), Indonesia ($132), Malaysia ($134), and Thailand ($163).

Lindquist is a member of VisitBritain, the tourist board of the Great Britain, and a consultant of the U.S-backed Boston Consulting Group.

According to the Vietnam National Administration of Tourism (VNAT), on average, a foreign visitor spent $900 on a trip to Vietnam, compared to Singapore ($1,105), Indonesia ($1,109) and Thailand ($1,565).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/ampe.vnexpress.net/news/travel/places/vietnam-unable-to-cash-in-on-high-tourist-numbers-3851069.html

So Thailand has managed to milk more money out of tourists so far. Maybe people are waking up and the balances are shifting.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, john ianson said:

Especially golf ! Which is very expensive in Thailand 

So true, even the local chicky babes are cheaper in just about any country. With Thai working ladies asking outrageous prices - a local massage and handie is the way to go. Or go to a reputable masturbation school to learn DIY again -hahah.

Edited by Melbun

18 hours ago, Matzzon said:

That´s great news! Maybe the bigger part of all foreign criminalty in Thailand can move to Vietnam too. Then this nice country can go back to what it once was.

Apart from there always being foreign criminals in Thailand, I have never been directly affected by any, so I don't see why it's such a big deal to some.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pookondee said:

But lets be honest. The tourists only ever came because its cheap.

Don't know how long you've been coming to LOS, but that's wrong. They came, like me, because Thailand was brilliant in the 90s, and before. Alternatives like Vietnam didn't exist as a destination for most.

It's gone downhill because of greed, sadly, but every country I've been in has gone downhill this century, for one reason or another.

Let's face it, the world for most of us was way better last century than now.

I say most of us referencing the people likely to be on TVF, not the world at large. 

6 minutes ago, fullcave said:

Long cues at the airport will fix it. Oh and force expats to buy your insurance scam. They will be leaving in the droves. Mission accomplished! 

LOL. Been to Heathrow recently? They have queues to terrify, but it doesn't stop tourists going to the UK.

Insurance is a necessity, and if people won't buy it before travelling they should be required to buy it on arrival. Too many scammers not paying hospital bills for it to go on as usual.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

None of the money handed over to prostitutes shows up on government books 

Well you can input any data you wish in the mathematical model, including the cost of a prostitute, which we know, and how many of Thailand's tourists were sex tourists, which, if I am not mistaken, was estimated at about 30% a few years ago.

Then you average the number of encounters a tourist will have during his holiday, based on various factors like age ????

Maybe that's why it indicates a high cost for Thailand ????????

Edited by lkv

45 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Apart from there always being foreign criminals in Thailand, I have never been directly affected by any, so I don't see why it's such a big deal to some.

So, considering that would be an effect to how the Thais look at the foreign population would be all wrong.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, remorhaz said:

You aren't going to replace this with Indians trying to put pencils into your hands then demanding money

I have certainly had them try to sell me a suit in Thailand, but never try to put a pencil in my hand. 

15 minutes ago, lkv said:

Well you can input any data you wish in the mathematical model, including the cost of a prostitute, which we know, and how many of Thailand's tourists were sex tourists, which, if I am not mistaken, was estimated at about 30% a few years ago.

Then you average the number of encounters a tourist will have during his holiday, based on various factors like age ????

Maybe that's why it indicates a high cost for Thailand ????????

Way too many variables to compute how much a monger will pay for that side of things on a visit. It can only be a guess, and wrong at that.

Besides, who can say which tourist is a monger and which is in Pattaya only for the golf?

I can't give specifics as against forum rules.

8 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

So, considering that would be an effect to how the Thais look at the foreign population would be all wrong.

Number of foreign criminals in LOS as compared to non criminal visitors is so insignificant.

If Thais think farangs are a large part of the criminal element, they are mistaken.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Like I said, it's a guess based on a mathematical model- garbage in= garbage out

I actually disagree with you on that. Models are being used by all countries worldwide, you will find them on every tourism website such as Australia, UK, US and so on.

A good model can predict quite accurately the reality, with a margin of error, and they are used by countries to make decisions in regards to visa policies for example.

Vietnam has extended its visa waiver policies for the developed countries until 2021. They came to the conclusion that Westerners spend the most per trip. More than Chinese.

Edited by lkv

Just now, lkv said:

I actually disagree with you on that. Models are being used by all countries worldwide, you will find them on every tourism website such as Australia, UK, US and so on.

A good model can predict quite accurately the reality, with a margin of error, and it's used by countries to make decisions in regards to visa policies for instance.

I'm just not sure of the numbers themselves being fake or not, coming from these corrupt organisations in third world countries.

I'm not disputing that in other countries mathematical models may work, but LOS is unique as it involves so many arriving to take part in activities that will not be reported.

Even leaving that side of things apart, take a young person arriving on Phangan for the full moon party.

They may stay in a place that does not report visitors, there will be no record of how much they spend on food, drink, trinkets, drugs etc. Even the "fees" they may pay to enter the scene will be unrecorded, for obvious reasons.

All the model can predict is what they may pay for accommodation and expenses. No way it can be accurate, and that is probably hundreds of thousands of visitors a year on just one beach.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

All the model can predict is what they may pay for accommodation and expenses. No way it can be accurate

That's your opinion. My opinion is that, if you know the average price of the hotel, the average price of a meal, and you correlate it with real surveys, you can quite accurately extrapolate.

Vietnam is now saying for instance, that their spending of only 90 something dollars per tourist per day, is because of lack of infrastructure and development. Basically, they are saying that if they had Thailand's shopping malls, spending per tourist would increase. And it would.

Edited by lkv

The truth of it is that from whatever source tourists originate the actual numbers are decreasing in proportion to the general downturn in the global economy. Whether it be a lack of affordability or practical caution people are aware of or victim to it. For Europe Spain is the safer option again. The Baht is relatively too strong against most desirable tourist currencies. Global events are also a negative factor with Trump playing demigod and now gloating about his new "Apprentice " in the UK. Now Russia and China are jointly putting their hands up in a sign of defiance.  Things will get worse before they get better IMHO! 

57 minutes ago, lkv said:

So the stats are clearly wrong right from the start, 90% of foreign men visiting Thailand end up having sex with locals.

What label you stick on them is irrelevant.

28 minutes ago, lkv said:

Vietnam is now saying for instance, that their spending of only 90 something dollars per tourist per day, is because of lack of infrastructure and development. Basically, they are saying that if they had Thailand's shopping malls, spending per tourist would increase. And it would.

I spend around $30/day on holiday in Vietnam, I meet many backpackers spending less than $20/day.

I'm not sure why you think foreign tourists would visit shopping malls.

Although I did stand in a shopping mall while waiting for a bus in Da Nang last month.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

Good points,

And to be fair, Vietnam previously did not particularly welcome westerners and nor were they geared for large tourism, but that has all changed.

My son came to Thailand this year with his western girlfriend, he has been many times over the years. He is now 28 years old and has actually been coming for 18 years, as a youngster and now an adult. He is upwardly mobile, great job (in the Nuclear industry), as does she, and plenty of disposable income. These are supposedly the tourists that Prayut and his ilk were aiming for.

He knows the country. He came to Isaarn and then went off to Chiang Mai and Krabi, as well as a couple of Southern islands. When I asked him his thoughts, he told me Chiang Mai was ' not his cup of tea ' as he was more beach person. He used to go to Pattaya but after his last trip, three years ago, he decided it was no longer for him.

He liked Krabi and the islands but thought once was enough and a case of ' Been there, seen it, done it ' He says that there are just ' more interesting places to go that offer more of what they are looking for '

He did two years Australia so he knows his beaches.

He found Chiang Mai dirty, and uninviting. Isaarn he enjoyed because I was here and it was a natural upcountry experience.

He has told me his next trips will be Vietnam and Myanmar and possibly Malaysia. He has done all he wants to do in Cambodia. No further plans to come here.

Quite right too. Why would any adventurous young traveller limit himself to one country? But he'll replaced by another new, adventurous backpacker.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app