Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
6 hours ago, atyclb said:

import and craft beer in thailand is a ripoff. the big beer companies maintain a monopoly and tailor laws to keep it that way.  

lots of fairly priced craft beer made in vietnam as they do not try to stop microbreweries as does thailand.  even those with deep pockets feel like they are being raped and lost enthusiasm.

http://7bridges.vn/

I'll give the same response as I do to posts complaining about wine. If you only go somewhere for the booze, then go elsewhere. Thailand has more attractions that grog, if one cares to look.

i was just addressing the beer comments. primary reason i like da nang is the beach and surfable waves, big wide open streets, no terrible traffic, good food.  alcohol is never a reason for choosing a place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Up from what to what.... easy to have impressive increments in % terms when the starting point is low.

"International visitors to Viet Nam in September estimated 1,561,274 arrivals, increase 3.2% over last month and up 28.8% over the same period last year. Total international arrivals in 9 months reached 12,870,506 arrivals, increasing 10.8% over the same period last year."

Up from the same period last year.

Not a bad increase for only 12 months. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'll give the same response as I do to posts complaining about wine. If you only go somewhere for the booze, then go elsewhere. Thailand has more attractions that grog, if one cares to look.

Thailand has cheap booze, just pop a laukhao open. Since all grog is equal, eh?

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

The Pattaya Hilton is 6,591 baht a night, and the Hilton Hotel Danang is 4,280 baht a night.  I used the same date for the search, which was tonight, the 24/10/19. 

Other than the Pattaya Hilton being closer to more entertainment options, the fact you chose a last minute booking at the resort's top hotel might not quite be like to like. How about a last minute room in Pattaya at 200 baht.... no reservation required. 

On 10/24/2019 at 3:10 PM, jacko45k said:

Other than the Pattaya Hilton being closer to more entertainment options, the fact you chose a last minute booking at the resort's top hotel might not quite be like to like. How about a last minute room in Pattaya at 200 baht.... no reservation required. 

I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying a comparison of the cheapest accommodation available would be better?

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying a comparison of the cheapest accommodation available would be better?

If wanting to compare the average price of accommodation I believe so, rather than comparing the absolutely top end. Pattaya generally wins out on cheap accommodations. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If wanting to compare the average price of accommodation I believe so, rather than comparing the absolutely top end. Pattaya generally wins out on cheap accommodations. 

I see.  You do have an interesting point, however, the Hilton chain maintains Hilton standards, globally, so I thought it a fair hotel comparison. 

Pattaya is a lot bigger, as a tourist destination, than Danang, so, the range of accommodation would be greater, as would be the competition.  The average price of accommodation would be difficult to accurately compare, but I do take your point.  

What about The Big Mac Index?  A Big Mac in Thailand is exactly the same product as a Big Mac in Vietnam, and any other country, for that matter.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/

This shows a Big Mac in Thailand is $3.72USD and the same Big Mac in Vietnam is $2.80USD, which is are 25% cheaper. 

At 25% more purchasing power in Vietnam, that makes a holiday to Thailand 25% more expensive than a holiday to Vietnam, thus making Vietnam "scary" for Thailand. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 3:36 AM, moontang said:

Plenty of excellent viet doctors... all practicing in the US. So try not to get blacklisted in LOS.. it will be a lot more convenient.  I heard they do the warm beer idiocy in Hanoi.  Any truth to that, or is that only at places in LOS where the Brits used to go, before they were knocked off their high horse. 

You can come and hang off our coattails again then ? 

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

This shows a Big Mac in Thailand is $3.72USD and the same Big Mac in Vietnam is $2.80USD, which is are 25% cheaper. 

At 25% more purchasing power in Vietnam, that makes a holiday to Thailand 25% more expensive than a holiday to Vietnam, thus making Vietnam "scary" for Thailand.

I don't know how Thailand handles these foreign companies, generally the foreign outfit has to pay more for things. Even a sign or label, put some English, price goes up. I expect Vietnam or Saigon would on average be cheaper for food... but on variety surely Pattaya could win out, and may be cheaper for that great British staple.... a curry! Thai food is one of the pluses. I would have to live for a spell in both places, but, for example, I think my old home in UK is cheaper than Pattaya. I usually don't have to pay for accommodation there, else the situation would be opposite. Beer and food and transport all cheap, although no dancing girls come with that beer. 

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Absolutely untrue, not speaking of condos etc, but comparing apples to apples. Rooms are far cheaper in Vietnam without question 

• Like 2

On 10/27/2019 at 10:22 AM, Ron jeremy said:

Absolutely untrue, not speaking of condos etc, but comparing apples to apples. Rooms are far cheaper in Vietnam without question 

It's difficult to compare apples to apples for hotel rooms.  There's just too many variables.  That's why I chose the Hilton.  

I agree that rooms are cheaper in Vietnam, but how do you do a comparison?

On 10/29/2019 at 4:45 PM, Bangna Betty said:

In Thailand, road toll numbers are made up of those that die at the scene of the accident. There are a lot of victims who die on the way to or in hospital so the figure given is not accurate. 

And Thailand still has one of the highest road death rates in the world.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2019 at 7:51 PM, mostcurious said:

I just arrived in pattaya and will be visiting my favourite restaurant Cafe Petini on soi buakhao. The food they serve here appears to be of a high standard I think. 

That restaurant ( sic ) was my favourite in Pattaya. Definitely the best breakfast. Unfortunately, Buakhao is so dangerous due to no pavements that I was reluctant to go there.

• Like 2

On 10/31/2019 at 2:52 PM, BritManToo said:

what would that cost in Bangkok?

Step outside nice and cheap accommodation like this in Ho Chi Minh City, and your food, beverage, transport, tourist activities, and "fun" is also nice and cheap. 

The question now is: "Why would anyone bother going to Bangkok when Ho Chi Minh City is so close?" 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leaver said:

Step outside nice and cheap accommodation like this in Ho Chi Minh City, and your food, beverage, transport, tourist activities, and "fun" is also nice and cheap. 

The question now is: "Why would anyone bother going to Bangkok when Ho Chi Minh City is so close?" 

Your right, I feel Bangkok is so much more expensive now. Whilst just an 1 1/2 hours away by plane, you have Ho Chi Minh city. The flights are quite cheap, it's possible to book a return from Bangkok to HCMC for under £100. Last time in HCMC I stayed at a very nice guesthouse for £15 per night in the heart of the city. That is now not possible in Bangkok. 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, mostcurious said:

Your right, I feel Bangkok is so much more expensive now. Whilst just an 1 1/2 hours away by plane, you have Ho Chi Minh city. The flights are quite cheap, it's possible to book a return from Bangkok to HCMC for under £100. Last time in HCMC I stayed at a very nice guesthouse for £15 per night in the heart of the city. That is now not possible in Bangkok. 

Bangkok is only a tourist destination for a few days.  I doubt many tourists spend their whole holiday in Bangkok.

What is interesting is, with cheap flights to Ho Chi Minh City, particularly with Vietjet, out of Suvarnabhumi, you may even start to see what was domestic Bangkok tourism that would normally go to Pattaya on weekends, start to go to Ho Chi Minh City, or, Danang or Nha Trang, as their weekend is nicer and cheaper, and with an overseas feel.  

Once again, "scary" for Pattaya.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2019 at 10:18 PM, mostcurious said:

Of course you can find a guesthouse or cheap hotel for 500-550 baht/ night in Bangkok. 

On 11/4/2019 at 7:18 AM, mostcurious said:

Why even bother with Bangkok?  Just fly straight into HCMC.  From there you can work your way north all the way to Hanoi if you want to.  There are lot of places to visit and sights to see that haven't been destroyed by wars with the Japanese, French, and Americans.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2019 at 12:02 AM, mostcurious said:

That's what I do, stay just one night at a hotel near Bangkok airport and then fly out next day to Vietnam.

New airport being built near Ho Chi Minh City.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_Thanh_International_Airport

Charter flights already go into Vietnam, particularly Russian charter flights into Nha Trang.

Given tourism in Vietnam is up 28% on last year, it's only a matter of time before a lot more airlines start long haul direct flights to Vietnam.  Then, no need to stop over in Bangkok.

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

On 11/7/2019 at 4:28 PM, Hanuman2547 said:

Why even bother with Bangkok?  Just fly straight into HCMC. 

Many use Bangkok for cheap flights and as a stop over, then get a connecting flight to Vietnam.

You can bet the TAT count these passengers as tourists to Thailand, despite them never leaving the airport.  ????

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 3NUMBAS said:

the greedy bar owners and expensive lady of the night are to blame ..punters seek better places now for their boom booms

Where is better to pick up a 30 something issarn beauty with a momma ,papa , and a horde of kids and a motorbike taxi husband ? Pattaya is unique ????

• Haha 1