Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

20 hours ago, Leaver said:

My experience when visiting Vietnam is they welcome tourists, and their money, where Thailand welcomes the money, and barely tolerates the tourists.  ????

Give it time, Thailand used to be like that!

48 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Yes, truly I go back a long way wrt Thailand. 

Yes, in my opinion, for Vietnam, including the nature there, it could be decades before it's ruined. 

It will be interesting to see if Vietnam manages its tourism in a way that is sustainable, in relation to the environment, rather than destroy the very nature that brings the tourists in the first place, like Thailand has done. 

On October 29, 2019 at 2:26 AM, Leaver said:

It's difficult to compare apples to apples for hotel rooms.  There's just too many variables.  That's why I chose the Hilton.  

I agree that rooms are cheaper in Vietnam, but how do you do a comparison?

Very very simply, I have travelled 9 years in Thailand and SEA, I compare rooms I have stayed at in both countries. For the same money, I have far better accomadations in Vietnam. Without question. 

Now this being said, I don't stay in high end places like the Hilton etc. 

I generally pay $15-30 per night, in SEA , I generally find the best value in the home stays, this is the equivalent of a guesthouse in Thailand. Great value. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

Very very simply, I have travelled 9 years in Thailand and SEA, I compare rooms I have stayed at in both countries. For the same money, I have far better accomadations in Vietnam. Without question. 

Now this being said, I don't stay in high end places like the Hilton etc. 

I generally pay $15-30 per night, in SEA , I generally find the best value in the home stays, this is the equivalent of a guesthouse in Thailand. Great value. 

I have also traveled a lot around South East Asia.

The problem is, people have different tastes, expectations, and opinions.

Also, currency exchange and cost of living, as  well as geographic location, play a factor.  Eg. a hotel in Bangkok versus a hotel room in Udon Thani.

I agree with you that you get a better standard of hotel in Vietnam for the same money that would get you a lower standard hotel room in Thailand, but as these hotels are not like for like, there will always be too many variables. 

Right or wrong, this is why I used The Hilton, but I admit it's not a great example. 

11 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

There happens to be 13 very good Thai restaurants in Danang at the moment. On the left, a Penang in pattaya, chicken broth.rice extra

on the right, Vietnam, huge bowl, fresh veggies, rice included. 

My rental, $350, beach view, kitchenette, balcony, wifi, air, cable tv, free laundry, weekly cleaning, etc, included. And the fridge is stocked with 50 cent beers.

And the beach is clean and so is the water! 

Can't bitch

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Why do TV posters keep talking about living like paupers in crappy fan rooms ? Bizarre like everyone needs to live this way. First pic looks like chicken floating in sewer water. I guess it was cheap..enjoy!

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, madmen said:

Why do TV posters keep talking about living like paupers in crappy fan rooms ? Bizarre like everyone needs to live this way. First pic looks like chicken floating in sewer water. I guess it was cheap..enjoy!

British pensions.......

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, madmen said:

Who's talking about living like paupers in fan rooms???? And eating cheap food??? Certainly not myself, never have never will. I eat well and stay in nice places, not some slum on soi bukaw, eating at tin cup.

• Like 2

Anyone who thinks having a military mind running state affairs is a good thing needs their head read. I initially had high hopes after 'he' banged his fist on the table and said 'guards, arrest everyone'. Bang heads, in and out, job done... but as soon as they get a whiff of that trough and power, it's game over. Sincerely hope not for the people, expats (and myself), but there is every chance the Thailand we know and love will be lost forever.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 2:06 AM, MeePeeMai said:

My brother moved to Danang a few months ago from Chiang Mai and he loves it there.  He found a brand new fully furnished apt. just 2 blocks from the beach with a nice balcony, mountain view, all utilities, laundry, TV and wifi included for just 300 USD a month.

He says the local food is not as good as the Thai food but that the western food is outstanding and it's pretty much everywhere (at very reasonable prices).  No scams or hassles yet and most of the younger crowd speaks at least some English (but the older folks do not).  He says that he would never move back to Thailand again.  I'm looking forward to visiting him there soon.

I guess when my day comes to leave, Vietnam is probably going to be at or near the top of my plan B list too.

yeah you can get great rent deal for 300-400 usd month and is litlle bit cheaper,but whole city is under construction(beach side area) ,beach is nice but water is dirty and city is boring

10 hours ago, madmen said:

For some retirees, the only criteria for retirement location is low cost.  Even includes evaluating which country has a cheaper big mac LMFAO.  Other international expats stay where they like, and often hang a shingle in multiple countries.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RoadWarrior371 said:

For some retirees, the only criteria for retirement location is low cost.  Even includes evaluating which country has a cheaper big mac LMFAO.  Other international expats stay where they like, and often hang a shingle in multiple countries.

Yes, Pattaya is only for wealthy expats, while poorer expats go to Vietnam, where there is better infrastructure, nice beaches, easy visas, and is cheaper.  ????????

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

Yes, Pattaya is only for wealthy expats, while poorer expats go to Vietnam, where there is better infrastructure, nice beaches, easy visas, and is cheaper.  ????????

Bahaha, let us know when you make your make your maiden voyage ! 

42 minutes ago, Ron jeremy said:

For MOST retirees, a major criteria is better value for their money, this was the main reason retirees came to Thailand , but those days are over, much better value elsewhere now,  And yes, retirees stay where they like, and by reading the threads on this forum, once again most ( not all) retirees are not happy with Thailand. 

the joy of Asia is to be able to visit multiple countries in a short period of time, and see where is best to hang your shingle. 

Many have and like what they have found, but no reason for the same members to belittle those that have found happiness elsewhere .

Google currency charts and Thailand ,Vietnam and Cambodia are nearly identical over a 5 year period against the greenback. Posters are in lala land if they think Vietnam is cheaper. Beer is cheaper if your wolfing it down but big ticket items like buying a condo or renting are no different to thailand

Visa for Thailand rejects is cheaper but not for much longer!

Thailand doesn't represent good value for money anymore. 35 Baht to the pound is just taking the p**s. 

Plus I found the natives of Pattaya were rude, unfriendly and money grabbers.

Quite frankly I will be taking my custom elsewhere next year to alternative countries in SE Asia.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mostcurious said:

Thailand doesn't represent good value for money anymore. 35 Baht to the pound is just taking the p**s. 

Plus I found the natives of Pattaya were rude, unfriendly and money grabbers.

Quite frankly I will be taking my custom elsewhere next year to alternative countries in SE Asia.

Where do you think you will be taking your customer next year? 

35 minutes ago, Leaver said:

It's not just value for their money, it's also infrastructure.

For decades, those in power here have enriched themselves, but not invested in infrastructure, and now with the mass tourism business model, it's really starting to show.  The infrastructure is crumbling here, so it doesn't matter too much what value the place represents, if nothing works properly. 

Not to worry, soon you will be able to pay double to take a train, that takes five times longer than numerous budget airlines.  I do hope their great, great grandkids appreciate the debts they were straddled with.