Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

Just now, Sticky Wicket said:

TOURIST - a person who is traveling or visiting a place for pleasure.

Nothing more, nothing less. There is NO specification on time in any definition anywhere

Don't be silly.  I've been having pleasure here since 1968 - am I a tourist?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pete Webb said:

The dodgy figures are probably because an arrival at Suvarnabhumi is being counted as a tourist visitor ! Then people change planes and fly elsewhere ! Somewhere cheaper, cleaner, smarter and less dangerous, that listens to the needs of it's guests and doesn't take them for granted. Somewhere that doesn't make it's visitors jump through hoops of fire to stay for a while in the country and spend their money. Thailand is suffering because of its 'take it or leave it' attitude. Clearly, people are leaving it. I want Thailand to do well, but it needs to do much better for people who are used to a much better standard of living.

Don't forget all the long stay border visa jumpers. Out and in. Out and in. More tourists to the Los!! 5555

• Like 2

1 minute ago, crazykopite said:

It’s not always about money it’s about all the stupid changes they keep making year in year out when it comes to renewing the extension of stay it’s become a pain in the @$$ sadly it’s no longer the land of smiles and that’s why I will be leaving when my extension of stay runs out in June 2020 if I can sell my property otherwise I will have to look at renting it out long term which I want to avoid.

Maybe you.  I don't know you.  I know me and I've had no changes in my extension except it took me only 12 minutes this year. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Metapod said:

Exchange rate is bad, costs are going up, visas are getting a lot harder to get, and more competitive alternatives are arising.

it isn't really surprising stuff. Thailand ain't that cheap anymore. Aussie dollar is like 21.7 thb these days. A lot of things are cheaper back in Aus now,

Nam isn’t just scary for the loss of tourists but also expats .... But mentalities will not change ... Its the rise and fall

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Sticky Wicket said:

YES, you have no rights, and can be chucked out at a moment's notice like the rest of us common plebs.

I've been on a long stay visa for 15 years.  Clearly different than a 15 or 30 day tourist permission to stay. 

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Sticky Wicket said:

Well done !! Two graphs with absolutely no headings or titles. GENIUS work!!

Tourist arrivals Thailand to Vietnam Millions to thousands.  Go to the website on the bottom of the graph to see Vietnam is not even in the ballpark. 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Thai tourism in trouble.  This is clearly the right time for Immigration to revive some archaic regulations from the 80s and deny entry to anyone wearing sandals, silk pants or other forms dress arbitrarily deemed impolite by Immigration officers.  

love beads?

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

wait a minute..

if visitors from china, europe, oceania and the middle east are down but tourism is still up where are the new tourists coming from?

russia, india? they dont have the numbers to offset europe never mind china, so are they counting surrounding countries too?

this cannot be good either way (well for thailand, good for me :D)

Probably a bit of truth for both sets of Thai speakers,only problem is the American,European spenders are staying away,some ex long stayers are moving to easier countries Visa wise and better for spending wise and happy to put up with a bit lower conditions. where as the lower spending Chinese and Indianans have risen slightly.

• Like 2