Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

5 hours ago, Roy Baht said:

Well you still have to do a border run every 90 days.

You can pay for an extension, but at $220USD, it's cheaper to do a visa run, and catch up with some friends for a night or two. 

On 1/19/2020 at 3:34 AM, Ron jeremy said:

I phoned the viet embassy yesterday, no changes to the visa after July 1

anyone can still come for 30,60,90 days and not have to leave the country. The change had to do with e- visa or something else.

no difference than what it is now.

maybe in refer. to visa exempt entries. a friend just last week denied boarding on flight to vn as he had used his ve within the last month, ve entry must have 30 day between uses. no back to backs..

11 minutes ago, IraqRon said:

maybe in refer. to visa exempt entries. a friend just last week denied boarding on flight to vn as he had used his ve within the last month, ve entry must have 30 day between uses. no back to backs..

Why didn't he get a 1 month multiple?  They are cheap? 

You can back to back as many tourist visas as you like in Vietnam. 

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

It appears to be 5am in the morning. 

Maybe I missed a clock somewhere but looks more like sundown than sunset, open shops and restaurants at 5am perhaps not. Don't think he'd get many viewers of his livestream earlier than 5am which he mentioned doing in the morning. Vietnam has been proactive is restricting Chinese tourists so maybe just an indication of a lack of tourists. I'm booked for Hanoi over Songkran so I'm monitoring their situation. 

On 9/9/2019 at 1:31 PM, Max69xl said:

Ordinary tourists don't have to submit the TM30,and I don't think they read posts here at TVF about the TM30 before visiting Thailand. And hopefully they do comprehend what they're reading,because you obviously don't.

i do. And i do have a problem with immigration. As a tourist im only allowed 2 land border crossings per year. Thats a pain so now i go elsewhere.

23 hours ago, kinyara said:

Maybe I missed a clock somewhere but looks more like sundown than sunset, open shops and restaurants at 5am perhaps not. Don't think he'd get many viewers of his livestream earlier than 5am which he mentioned doing in the morning. Vietnam has been proactive is restricting Chinese tourists so maybe just an indication of a lack of tourists. I'm booked for Hanoi over Songkran so I'm monitoring their situation. 

To me, sundown and sunset are the same.  Perhaps you meant sunrise.

I have watched the clip again.  It could be sunset.

From a quick Google, the Immigration Office is at 07 Trần Quý Cáp; Da Nang, This is not near the tourist are, hence, not busy.

You can see the percentage increase in tourists to Vietnam here.  Impressive figures, and Danang is one of the popular tourist destinations in Vietnam.

http://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/statistic/international

The good news in that clip is that Vietnam still remains my Plan B. 

Edited by Leaver

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

To me, sundown and sunset are the same.  Perhaps you meant sunrise.

I have watched the clip again.  It could be sunset.

From a quick Google, the Immigration Office is at 07 Trần Quý Cáp; Da Nang, This is not near the tourist are, hence, not busy.

You can see the percentage increase in tourists to Vietnam here.  Impressive figures, and Danang is one of the popular tourist destinations in Vietnam.

http://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/statistic/international

The good news in that clip is that Vietnam still remains my Plan B. 

Not sure 4.7% growth in high season from a developing low base market as opposed to mature tourist market is particularly impressive. The big increase is in sea arrivals, probably cruise ships passing through for a couple of days. Hope they aren't too badly hit in coming months with the developing crisis. 

• Like 1

I am currently in Danang and it is quiet apart from 5 or 6000 American sailors who were here for about 4 nights from the Theodore Roosevelt which was moored here.

It's my first time in Danang and it's very nice but it has major building work going on in the beach area - seems very Korean / Chinese / Japanese orientated. Lots of stores full of Korean & Japanese food products but not many tourists anywhere that I can see.

It does not appear to have a big nightlife vibe going on but what little it has suits me. Im back off to Saigon tomorrow but will definitely return to Danang.

• Like 1

On 3/4/2020 at 8:50 PM, kinyara said:

Not sure 4.7% growth in high season from a developing low base market as opposed to mature tourist market is particularly impressive. The big increase is in sea arrivals, probably cruise ships passing through for a couple of days. Hope they aren't too badly hit in coming months with the developing crisis. 

Where did you get 4.7% growth from?

9 hours ago, kinyara said:

From the official link that you provided, its there at the top of page. 

You are focusing on this:

"Total international arrivals in 2 months 2020 reached 3.236.856 arrivals, up 4,8% over the same period in 2019."

These figures are definitely skewed by the corona virus.

Look at the percentages in their entirety, including the downturn due to the corona virus. 

2/2020
(Arrivals)
Accrued for 2 months of 2020
(Arrivals)
2/2020 vs last month
(%)
2/2020 vs 2/2019
(%)
2 months 2020 vs same period last year
(%)
Total 1.242.731 3.236.856 62,3 78,2 104,8
By means of transportation