BANGKOK
webfact

Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

In Cambodia you just drop your Passport in at almost any travel agent store, along with $300, and a week later collect your passport with a 1 year multiple entry VISA, no TM30s, no 90 day reporting, no financial requirements.

If you don't think that's easier than Thailand, you're out of your mind.

And the hospitals are so wonderful too

3 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

1 year visas are not on hold for American citizens, my friend just returned with his second in a row.

I suggest you read the first sentence of my post again.

You will see I clearly said Americans get a 1 year multiple entry tourist visa for around $195USD.  

Off topic posts removed, please do not hijack the topic asking which is the cheapest telephone package

On 9/10/2019 at 6:30 PM, Percy P said:

Yes. But they can still come back here for a 90 day stay.

Just not back to back.  Right?  Not to mention all the other visa BS hoops to jump through. 

Have you considered, once people have a look over the other side of the fence, they just might see the grass is greener. 

Edited by Leaver

20 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

And the hospitals are so wonderful too

No argument from me.  In general, Thailand has better medical than Cambodia and Vietnam.

I don't know about expats in Cambodia, but I know a couple of expats in Vietnam that were diagnosed in Vietnam, and then flew to Bangkok for an operation.  I know one Vietnam expat that required specialized long term treatment, so he simply returned to his home country where he received free medical treatment.

Common ailments and injuries are easily treated in Vietnam.  Things like a broken wrist from a motorbike accident are no problem.   

Some on TV believe that if you collapse of a heart attack or stroke in your house in Thailand, you have a higher chance of survival than if the same happened in Cambodia or Vietnam.  I have admitted medical is better in Thailand, but what percentage of people benefit from immediate and life saving medical intervention for a stroke or heart attack in Thailand?  The percentage survival rate from such intervention would be so small that it is of little consequence.  

Many in their home countries have to travel some distance to major cities, or perhaps their capital city, for specialized medical treatment. Bangkok is only a short flight away from Vietnam, so the travel for medical treatment is similar.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 11:01 AM, tideout said:

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your post and if so, no offense intended. I'm also going a bit off your post to save time. Again, no offense.

One of the most common scams here in the Ben Thanh market area is to give a certain colored shopping bag to tourists who've come through and bought something a specifically colored shopping bag. This bag indicates another shop has marked them as suckers for a big up-sell.

Lying and scamming here in Vietnam, not limited to but particularly any tourist area is as second nature as breathing.

I'll repeat a few things from other posts but it may be worth something to a few.

There is no retirement visa.

The previously easy to get "business visa" which lasted for a year and might otherwise be known as the retirement and beer visa, is becoming much, much harder to get. I personally know people who are being denied that visa who are not only well connected but have been here before on that visa. Illegal, "coffee money" versions of everything from drivers licenses to permits are getting second and third looks and are much more likely to a "no" response. 

Don't like waves of Chinese tourists or Indians in your Thai city? I don't have time to go into it but trust me the increase in Africans, Indians and Chinese related deals here is rapidly on the increase.

I could go on about this but there are too many details that one could go into.......

Sorry for my late reply, but I was nearly one month travelling through Germany.

I didn´t mean scams or at markets, I was writing about entrance fees for temples and other landmarks. 

17 hours ago, CNXexpat said:

Sorry for my late reply, but I was nearly one month travelling through Germany.

I didn´t mean scams or at markets, I was writing about entrance fees for temples and other landmarks. 

There is some dual pricing in Vietnam, but only for a few major attractions.