BANGKOK
webfact

Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't blame Thailand for your home currency being TP, can you?

There are plenty of nice restaurants that have food at reasonable prices, but you just haven't found them yet.

I just arrived in pattaya and will be visiting my favourite restaurant Cafe Petini on soi buakhao. The food they serve here appears to be of a high standard I think. 

On the subject of beer. I was passing through Korat (not much to see here, just being honest) and visited one of the few bars in the city. The drinks menu at the bar displayed a massive selection of bottled beers from around the world. Surprisingly the price of each bottle was between 200 and 250 baht. No way will I pay that much for beer. Anyway there was a pub next door called the George and Dragon which I visited. It had a nice selection of drinks at a more reasonable price. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

Tourism up 28% in Vietnam. 

Up from what to what.... easy to have impressive increments in % terms when the starting point is low.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Up from what to what.... easy to have impressive increments in % terms when the starting point is low.

at least them UP is real 555

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:
6 hours ago, atyclb said:

import and craft beer in thailand is a ripoff. the big beer companies maintain a monopoly and tailor laws to keep it that way.  

lots of fairly priced craft beer made in vietnam as they do not try to stop microbreweries as does thailand.  even those with deep pockets feel like they are being raped and lost enthusiasm.

http://7bridges.vn/

I'll give the same response as I do to posts complaining about wine. If you only go somewhere for the booze, then go elsewhere. Thailand has more attractions that grog, if one cares to look.

i was just addressing the beer comments. primary reason i like da nang is the beach and surfable waves, big wide open streets, no terrible traffic, good food.  alcohol is never a reason for choosing a place.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

"International visitors to Viet Nam in September estimated 1,561,274 arrivals, increase 3.2% over last month and up 28.8% over the same period last year. Total international arrivals in 9 months reached 12,870,506 arrivals, increasing 10.8% over the same period last year."

Up from the same period last year.

Not a bad increase for only 12 months. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I'll give the same response as I do to posts complaining about wine. If you only go somewhere for the booze, then go elsewhere. Thailand has more attractions that grog, if one cares to look.

Thailand has cheap booze, just pop a laukhao open. Since all grog is equal, eh?

3 hours ago, DrTuner said:

Thailand has cheap booze, just pop a laukhao open. Since all grog is equal, eh?

Smells like gasoline, good for constipation.

13 hours ago, atyclb said:

alcohol is never a reason for choosing a place.

I agree, but it is a bonus.  🙂

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

The Pattaya Hilton is 6,591 baht a night, and the Hilton Hotel Danang is 4,280 baht a night.  I used the same date for the search, which was tonight, the 24/10/19. 

Other than the Pattaya Hilton being closer to more entertainment options, the fact you chose a last minute booking at the resort's top hotel might not quite be like to like. How about a last minute room in Pattaya at 200 baht.... no reservation required. 

On 10/24/2019 at 3:10 PM, jacko45k said:

Other than the Pattaya Hilton being closer to more entertainment options, the fact you chose a last minute booking at the resort's top hotel might not quite be like to like. How about a last minute room in Pattaya at 200 baht.... no reservation required. 

I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying a comparison of the cheapest accommodation available would be better?

8 hours ago, Leaver said:

I'm not sure I understand.

Are you saying a comparison of the cheapest accommodation available would be better?

If wanting to compare the average price of accommodation I believe so, rather than comparing the absolutely top end. Pattaya generally wins out on cheap accommodations. 

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

If wanting to compare the average price of accommodation I believe so, rather than comparing the absolutely top end. Pattaya generally wins out on cheap accommodations. 

I see.  You do have an interesting point, however, the Hilton chain maintains Hilton standards, globally, so I thought it a fair hotel comparison. 

Pattaya is a lot bigger, as a tourist destination, than Danang, so, the range of accommodation would be greater, as would be the competition.  The average price of accommodation would be difficult to accurately compare, but I do take your point.  

What about The Big Mac Index?  A Big Mac in Thailand is exactly the same product as a Big Mac in Vietnam, and any other country, for that matter.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/274326/big-mac-index-global-prices-for-a-big-mac/

This shows a Big Mac in Thailand is $3.72USD and the same Big Mac in Vietnam is $2.80USD, which is are 25% cheaper. 

At 25% more purchasing power in Vietnam, that makes a holiday to Thailand 25% more expensive than a holiday to Vietnam, thus making Vietnam "scary" for Thailand. 

Edited by Leaver
  • Like 1

On 10/20/2019 at 3:36 AM, moontang said:

Plenty of excellent viet doctors... all practicing in the US. So try not to get blacklisted in LOS.. it will be a lot more convenient.  I heard they do the warm beer idiocy in Hanoi.  Any truth to that, or is that only at places in LOS where the Brits used to go, before they were knocked off their high horse. 

You can come and hang off our coattails again then ?