BANGKOK
webfact

Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

35 minutes ago, Leaver said:

It's not just value for their money, it's also infrastructure.

For decades, those in power here have enriched themselves, but not invested in infrastructure, and now with the mass tourism business model, it's really starting to show.  The infrastructure is crumbling here, so it doesn't matter too much what value the place represents, if nothing works properly. 

Not to worry, soon you will be able to pay double to take a train, that takes five times longer than numerous budget airlines.  I do hope their great, great grandkids appreciate the debts they were straddled with.

A troll/baiting post has been removed

On 12/5/2019 at 7:09 PM, DrTuner said:

What will happen is Thais will just continue as they are and do nothing, the country will continue on a downward spiral until it becomes completely irrelevant. We've seen how incapable of any change Thais are.

Sadly, I think you are correct. 

Nothing has been to date to stop the exodus, and bleed out of money.  Same Same the Nokia phone company.  Rested on its laurels, even while it was losing huge market share.

Edited by Leaver

Was watching one of the too many YouTubers.  He went to a Mexican Viet restaurant, paid 4.50 USD for a burrito and he said it tasted sweet and another example of TripAdvisor giving unreliable reviews.  Then he went to a nightclub, and paid 5.58 USD for a small bottle of Corona.  Wouldn't be a value in the US, even with wages 8-20 times higher.  Many are plain bitter about being forced out of Thailand, but no doubt all is not well in LOS, but communist Vietnam is hardly utopia.  I wish the YouTubers would at least stop acting like fairries.

8 minutes ago, moontang said:

Was watching one of the too many YouTubers.  He went to a Mexican Viet restaurant, paid 4.50 USD for a burrito and he said it tasted sweet and another example of TripAdvisor giving unreliable reviews.  Then he went to a nightclub, and paid 5.58 USD for a small bottle of Corona.  Wouldn't be a value in the US, even with wages 8-20 times higher.  Many are plain bitter about being forced out of Thailand, but no doubt all is not well in LOS, but communist Vietnam is hardly utopia.  I wish the YouTubers would at least stop acting like fairries.

Corona is a fully imported beer.  He could have got a Tiger or San Mig beer, or similar, for a lot less.  Not a good comparison example. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Corona is a fully imported beer.  He could have got a Tiger or San Mig beer, or similar, for a lot less.  Not a good comparison example. 

So Vietnam does the import tax ripoffs, too...shocking.  I like tiger, brewed here in Nonthaburi, no tax stamp, but all you hear about are the nasty Thai beers.  I brought an out of town visitor a Heineken..she said let's try some Thai beer..I said, you just did, Sai Noi, Nonthaburi.  Now if only bozo the clown will make room on the shelves of Tesco for some tigers next to his 100 cases of Chang and leo...I will be a happier man.

1 hour ago, moontang said:

So Vietnam does the import tax ripoffs, too...shocking.  I like tiger, brewed here in Nonthaburi, no tax stamp, but all you hear about are the nasty Thai beers.  I brought an out of town visitor a Heineken..she said let's try some Thai beer..I said, you just did, Sai Noi, Nonthaburi.  Now if only bozo the clown will make room on the shelves of Tesco for some tigers next to his 100 cases of Chang and leo...I will be a happier man.

Other factors to consider than just tax.  Transports costs, and the cost to the venue to have slow moving stock on hand. 

34 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Other factors to consider than just tax.  Transports costs, and the cost to the venue to have slow moving stock on hand. 

Retail beer prices are nearly identical, Nationwide in Thailand..50 km from the brewery or 1000 km..620 THB per case...for Tiger.  

4 hours ago, moontang said:

Retail beer prices are nearly identical, Nationwide in Thailand..50 km from the brewery or 1000 km..620 THB per case...for Tiger.  

I thought we were discussing imported beer, namely, Corona.

Around 420 baht for a create of Tiger in Vietnam.  That's retail price. 

Edited by Leaver

I lived in the LoS for 6 years managed to sell up and get out a few years ago.

My wife wanted to visit so earlier this year we had 2 months there, she went off to see parents buffalo etc etc.

I went to Hua Hin I hardly recognized the place not one person who I use to knock about with was there! 

Before I went I was warned by mates who are in Cambodia that I would be in for a shock, they weren't wrong!

It's always been a toilet and corrupted but one put up with the cons because the pros substantially outweighed them.

That's no longer the case when I first went I was getting 72 THB to the pound we all know how the Baht is now.

I always said that Thailand is in for an almighty wake up call and now its arrived.

Of course tourists down should mean quality up again this is Asia and that just don't happen.

I personally don't think Thailand will ever recover ....you reap what you sow!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I thought we were discussing imported beer, namely, Corona.

Around 420 baht for a create of Tiger in Vietnam.  That's retail price. 

Import beer is not less near the port..taxes are way more than transport, for imports or even domestic.