Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

Recommended Posts

A troll post removed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/15/2020 at 3:00 AM, kiever said:

not crowded as before . phangan is very quiet. and samui also same. roads in samui are overcrowded but mostly by locals. bars are empty. not many customers at hotels as well but accommodation  prices on samui is still very expensive

Sounds pretty much like what is happening in the tourist areas, nation wide. 

 

If I had to chose, I would say Samui would be one of the the first dominos to fall in Thailand's tourism industry.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/11/2020 at 7:42 AM, Leaver said:

I'm in Pattaya, but freely admit Vietnam is my Plan B.  Been there many times.  I've said before, I have even picked out the condo block, and I am in constant contact with the manger there. 

 

Now's the time to make sure you have options. 

Indeed wises words, in fact it might be worth having a Plan C if Vietnam goes ahead with its plan to cut Tourist Visas from 3 months to 1 month from July 1st, unless of course they reinstate their annual retirement visa which they also curtailed. I think you previously mentioned you thought it was only temporary. If there is an aim to stop people living long term on 3 month tourist visas I can't imagine them allowing 12 back to back renewals a year. 

 

Will be interesting to see how the Vietnam visa changes play out. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, kinyara said:

Indeed wises words, in fact it might be worth having a Plan C if Vietnam goes ahead with its plan to cut Tourist Visas from 3 months to 1 month from July 1st, unless of course they reinstate their annual retirement visa which they also curtailed. I think you previously mentioned you thought it was only temporary. If there is an aim to stop people living long term on 3 month tourist visas I can't imagine them allowing 12 back to back renewals a year. 

 

Will be interesting to see how the Vietnam visa changes play out. 

 

 

 

 

 

Once again, you are thinking that Vietnam MUST think like the Thai's do.  You need to forget all the Thai BS, because it doesn't exist in Vietnam.

 

Personally, I haven't heard Vietnam is stopping 3 month tourist visas, or Temporary Resident Cards, but I will look into this.  They are certainly still on offer online.

 

On my visits, I have met many English teachers, both young and old, and they have been doing back to back tourist visas for years, yes, years, and yes, working on tourists visas.  Vietnam is completely different to Thailand in this regard. 

 

I do have concerns that Vietnam MAY tighten up their visas in the short term, in order to control, or monitor, the exodus from Thailand that is landing on its shores, but I can't see them stopping back to back tourist visas any times soon. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Leaver said:

 

Personally, I haven't heard Vietnam is stopping 3 month tourist visas, or Temporary Resident Cards, but I will look into this. 

 

I do have concerns that Vietnam MAY tighten up their visas in the short term, in order to control, or monitor, the exodus from Thailand that is landing on its shores, but I can't see them stopping back to back tourist visas any times soon. 

 

It's a government directive not a personal thing. Have a word with that  condo manager you're in regular contact with. Sounds like there will be some good monthly deals coming up in July. God's waiting room is emptying very fast on this latest development,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Worth a watch if you are thinking about visiting Vietnam for longer than 30 days or perhaps considering a longer term move. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, kinyara said:

 

Worth a watch if you are thinking about visiting Vietnam for longer than 30 days or perhaps considering a longer term move. 

 

 

So the grass isn't always greener?  🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On January 17, 2020 at 5:27 AM, Leaver said:

Once again, you are thinking that Vietnam MUST think like the Thai's do.  You need to forget all the Thai BS, because it doesn't exist in Vietnam.

 

Personally, I haven't heard Vietnam is stopping 3 month tourist visas, or Temporary Resident Cards, but I will look into this.  They are certainly still on offer online.

 

On my visits, I have met many English teachers, both young and old, and they have been doing back to back tourist visas for years, yes, years, and yes, working on tourists visas.  Vietnam is completely different to Thailand in this regard. 

 

I do have concerns that Vietnam MAY tighten up their visas in the short term, in order to control, or monitor, the exodus from Thailand that is landing on its shores, but I can't see them stopping back to back tourist visas any times soon. 

I phoned the viet embassy yesterday, no changes to the visa after July 1

anyone can still come for 30,60,90 days and not have to leave the country. The change had to do with e- visa or something else.

no difference than what it is now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, kinyara said:

 

Worth a watch if you are thinking about visiting Vietnam for longer than 30 days or perhaps considering a longer term move. 

 

Thanks for the video.

 

It's the first I have heard of this.

 

I contacted my agent in Vietnam, who is quite professional, and they have no idea of it, but told me if I didn't want a tourist visas, or couldn't get a tourist visa, they can arrange a business visa for me, as they have done in the past.

 

I have spoken with friends in Vietnam who also have no idea about this.

 

I am not questioning the content of the video.  The guy seems quite genuine and informed. 

 

I checked the links in his video, and I note the changes seemed to be for certain nationalities.

 

Without being racist, I would not be surprised if the new visa law is targeting Africans, namely, Nigerians, who have been drug dealing and operating online scams in Vietnam. 

 

This comment leads me to believe it will be more targeted, rather than across the board.

"The representative of the Immigration Department declined to reveal specifics on the identified groups of foreign violators to the local media due to the sensitivity of the issue."  "Foreigners have taken advantage of this visa policy to enter Vietnam to commit technology-related crimes or work illegally."

 

It this visa law was across the board, I can only see a huge increase in sham marriages,with foreigners getting a 5 year multiple entry visa for around $50USD, which would see the Vietnam government lose out.

 

The video did give me pause to think of a Plan C, and it would probably be The Philippines, another country benefiting from the Thailand exodus.   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ron jeremy said:

I phoned the viet embassy yesterday, no changes to the visa after July 1

anyone can still come for 30,60,90 days and not have to leave the country. The change had to do with e- visa or something else.

no difference than what it is now.

If I understand correctly, Vietnam e-visa is only for 1 month anyway. 

 

It's probably to do with Visa On Arrival.  (VOA)  They may make certain nationalities present at a consulate or embassy for application, so they can be given either 1 month, or refused.

 

Currently, with VOA, they are already on Vietnamese soil, albeit, not past immigration, hence, a deportation problem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/17/2020 at 3:50 AM, kinyara said:

Indeed wises words, in fact it might be worth having a Plan C

I'm leaning towards The Philippines for a Plan C. 

 

I know for many, The Philippines is their Plan B. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/16/2020 at 6:26 PM, Leaver said:

Sounds pretty much like what is happening in the tourist areas, nation wide. 

 

If I had to chose, I would say Samui would be one of the the first dominos to fall in Thailand's tourism industry.

 

On 1/16/2020 at 6:26 PM, Leaver said:

Sounds pretty much like what is happening in the tourist areas, nation wide. 

 

If I had to chose, I would say Samui would be one of the the first dominos to fall in Thailand's tourism industry.

 

I'm in samui at the moment heading to pattaya later this week. 

 

It's been 2 years since I was last in samui and it is dead here! What were the busy bars in chaweng..ark bar,green mango,hush bar,on a Thursday Friday night they were half empty. 

 

The restaurants and quiet bars are scrambling around for customers,I've eaten at a different place for lunch and dinner every day and they're all lucky if they're 30 40% full. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Beanfarmer05 said:

What were the busy bars in chaweng..ark bar,green mango,hush bar,on a Thursday Friday night they were half empty. 

If the bars are half empty, that means they are half full.  The bar owner should be happy with that, compared to other places in Thailand.  Still, only 50% of customers, in a high season, is not a good sign.

 

16 hours ago, Beanfarmer05 said:

I've eaten at a different place for lunch and dinner every day and they're all lucky if they're 30 40% full. 

That's probably more the figures I would be expecting for Samui, with Phuket not far behind, and once again, this is high season.  They may as well close for low season.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Scary" indeed. 

 

Up 32.8% on the same time last year.

 

http://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/statistic/international

 

 

http://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/items/14547

 

"Most outstandingly, Viet Nam was listed among nominees in six world’s leading categories, including World’s Leading Cultural Destination, World’s Leading Destination, World’s Leading Tourist Board (for Vietnam National Administration of Tourism), World’s Leading City Destination (Hanoi), World’s Leading Culinary Destination, and World’s Leading Cultural City Destination (Hoi An)."

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Leaver said:

"Scary" indeed. 

 

Up 32.8% on the same time last year.

 

http://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/statistic/international

 

 

http://vietnamtourism.gov.vn/english/index.php/items/14547

 

"Most outstandingly, Viet Nam was listed among nominees in six world’s leading categories, including World’s Leading Cultural Destination, World’s Leading Destination, World’s Leading Tourist Board (for Vietnam National Administration of Tourism), World’s Leading City Destination (Hanoi), World’s Leading Culinary Destination, and World’s Leading Cultural City Destination (Hoi An)."

 

 

 

Written by the tourist authority of Vietnam 

... Ring a bell? 

55555555555

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...