Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

webfact

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

That´s great news! Maybe the bigger part of all foreign criminalty in Thailand can move to Vietnam too. Then this nice country can go back to what it once was.

You want Thais to leave their native land? - 555555 ! -"Foreign"? - Don't think so!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Percy P said:

Thai goods are very cheap but not against your own Countries currency. So that the problem

Just by repeating that 10 times, people are not going to believe it more ????????????

If it's not against my currency, then against what? 

Local purchasing power?

Yeah sure, Thais will agree with that. Not. If the BTS keeps pumping the prices, they will be taking the bus.

Edited by lkv
  • Like 1

I think that not only fewer tourists head for Thailand than before, but also many 'long-stayers' probably stay in Thailand shorter than they used to. 3-4 months instead of 6; 1-2 months instead of 3, etc.

But, still, Thailand remains as one of the top destinations for tourists worldwide; and I don't think there will be a SIGNIFICANT decline in tourist numbers/revenues (unless the baht continues on its march of course).

Edited by JemJem
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Metapod said:

Exchange rate is bad, costs are going up, visas are getting a lot harder to get, and more competitive alternatives are arising.

it isn't really surprising stuff. Thailand ain't that cheap anymore. Aussie dollar is like 21.7 thb these days. A lot of things are cheaper back in Aus now,

Why is it only 21.75 Baat.It's not because the Baat has value.

7 hours ago, Metapod said:

Exchange rate is bad, costs are going up, visas are getting a lot harder to get, and more competitive alternatives are arising.

it isn't really surprising stuff. Thailand ain't that cheap anymore. Aussie dollar is like 21.7 thb these days. A lot of things are cheaper back in Aus now,

But it is, you can't compare it to the poor performance of your own Country.

How are visas harder to get for tourists coming to Thailand?

Tourists from more than sixty countries can travel to Thailand visa exempt, compare that with Vietnam you can almost count on one hand the countries from which you don't need a visa.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, crazykopite said:

It’s not always about money it’s about all the stupid changes they keep making year in year out when it comes to renewing the extension of stay it’s become a pain in the @$$ sadly it’s no longer the land of smiles and that’s why I will be leaving when my extension of stay runs out in June 2020 if I can sell my property otherwise I will have to look at renting it out long term which I want to avoid.

Why wait for 11 months. Why not go now? You can still rent out. The likelihood of a sale is remote if you listen to the pessimists on this forum. Cheeseman seems to be having a lot of problems selling or renting.

5 hours ago, Garybaldy said:

Not only are the tourists down but the ones that are coming are not spending as much because it’s too expensive. If you can go to Vietnam for less then most people have no loyalty they will go. As for us who live here full time then we are feeling the pain of the strong Baht and ever increasing hoops to jump through at immigration etc so we have 2 choices, tighten our belts and hope for a better exchange and dance to the Thai tune or leave Thailand for pastures new.

I agree that the baht has resulted in a drop in the value of a number of currencies but what are the ever increasing number of hoops to jump through at Immigration?

I am not doing anything differently than when I came here years ago and from memory the cost of the retirement extension and retry permit hasn’t increased.

I had more hoops to jump through just with daily living in Australia. 

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Tourist arrivals Thailand to Vietnam Millions to thousands.  Go to the website on the bottom of the graph to see Vietnam is not even in the ballpark. 

Yet!

But it is ,but not in comparisons to your own countries exchange rate but you can blame that on your own C countries poor performance economically.

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

No. Nearly everything the hapless army does makes the Thai people less happy, lowers their quality of life and diminishes the nation. They are in way over their heads. They need to get out or the nation needs to remove them from their daily lives. They serve no useful function whatsoever and degrade the country. 

So the dear leader did not succeed on Friday nights in bringing happiness back to the people?

• Haha 1

But it is cheap, but not in exchange to your own Countries exchange rate. It's your Country that's the problem

Flames troll posts and off topic posts removed also replies, topic is about:

Thai tourism in trouble: And competitor Vietnam is "scary" for Pattaya

38 minutes ago, atyclb said:

and i left 20% tip for drinks at a sports bar in bkk and server openly expressed her unhappiness while pointing to 100 baht bills in change she gave me.

fact is at a. thai pub or bar the staff would never dare do that nor the band request tips for doing what they are paid to do, play music.

they just dont get it

nor do they learn

and for those of you that are here for the girls, forget it, most are fat. even at gogo's hard to find a normal weight one.  used to be some friendly ones would take initiative and sit on your lap and that was ok but now it actually hurts and impedes your breathing.

I've got the name of a good optometrist it's close to the Oasis.  I took the photo down.  I forgot how you fellows respond.  Pearls to ....... and so on.

Edited by marcusarelus