Fewer tourists are going to Thailand because of its expensive currency

webfact

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know how you guys can read Captain Jack's data.  I got tired of the fatty girls in Pattaya, resorted to a rubber glove and self-satisfaction every night, and now my eyesight is too bad to read anything!

1 minute ago, simon43 said:

I don't know how you guys can read Captain Jack's data.  I got tired of the fatty girls in Pattaya, resorted to a rubber glove and self-satisfaction every night, and now my eyesight is too bad to read anything!

That was actually pretty funny....

Yes the Baht is too strong, yes there are some ripoffs around, but :

Deluxe 1 bedroom condo on the sea in jomtien / pratamnak 20/30k per month

Eat at the foodcourt in Terminal 21 : 35/40 baht

Buy a jeans 2 t-shirts and some shoes at the market : 1000 baht

Get a girl at home for sex if you would like : 1000 baht

Yamaha Nmax, even with the high baht two-thirds of the price in Germany

Power, water and gasoline much much less expensive than in Europe

So yes please the baht back to 38 for the euro, but with 34.5 it's not as if everything suddenly is 10x as much

It's not rocket science.  Many of the posters choose not to travel to Thailand b/c they can no longer afford it, as many are trying to argue.  Instead, they are tired of seeing the value of their currency drop every time they travel there.  I believe many have drawn a line in the sand and have seen the devaluation drop below it.

39 minutes ago, WhatsNext said:

Yes the Baht is too strong, yes there are some ripoffs around, but :

Deluxe 1 bedroom condo on the sea in jomtien / pratamnak 20/30k per month

Eat at the foodcourt in Terminal 21 : 35/40 baht

Buy a jeans 2 t-shirts and some shoes at the market : 1000 baht

Get a girl at home for sex if you would like : 1000 baht

Yamaha Nmax, even with the high baht two-thirds of the price in Germany

Power, water and gasoline much much less expensive than in Europe

So yes please the baht back to 38 for the euro, but with 34.5 it's not as if everything suddenly is 10x as much

What draws anyone to a particular country for a holiday is Value for money,  Clean beaches, ease of obtaining a visa, however Thailand offers the following, long q's when you arrive, ripped off by taxi on way to your hotel, hotel in turn rips you off with the mini bar scam, and this is only day one, so your hot and go out for a beer...more expensive than your own country and tastes downright awful, forget the beer, you go to a restaurant and buy lunch, sure it's cheap and there is an amount that a pecker bird would get his fill on, fed up you cancel your hotel booking and receive no refund, get ripped off with taxi to airport, pay an outrageous price to bring your flight forward, and swear never to return, only to once again the following year fly in to keep tats statistics reasonable ????

2 hours ago, pookondee said:

They'd tell the people that farang countries have failed and people cant afford to travel, instead of ever suggesting anything could have been of their own doing.

Is Thailand responsible for Brexit? 

A "no deal" Brexit would trigger a recession and cause the pound to nosedive, according to official forecasts. Some experts say the pound and dollar could even reach parity.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/23/investing/boris-johnson-brexit-pound/index.html

44 minutes ago, SteveStevens said:

It's not rocket science.  Many of the posters choose not to travel to Thailand b/c they can no longer afford it, as many are trying to argue.  Instead, they are tired of seeing the value of their currency drop every time they travel there.  I believe many have drawn a line in the sand and have seen the devaluation drop below it.

Outside of Turkey where has the pound not dropped drastically? 

Soon it will reach parity with the dollar.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/07/23/investing/boris-johnson-brexit-pound/index.html

22 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

That's the problem with lines in the sand - the next incoming tide washes them away 

Tides may wash away beach sand but not memories.  It obviously hasn't happened, since travel is down from the EU to Thailand by 30% this year.  But if memories are as weak as you're suggesting, there wouldn't be the level of gripping there is on the boards about the strengthening of the baht.

On 7/25/2019 at 10:50 PM, Ron jeremy said:

Thailand simply isn't a cheap destination anymore, better value elsewhere, 

please keep in mind cheaper and better value are 2 totally different things.

its just gotten to be one big scamming shithole.

lowlifes flock there for a reason, pattaya is full of them. 

The Thais had it too good for too long, thought it would never end, scam the tourists, rape the tourists, take every dollar they have, treat them like shit.

guess what's happenning now?

people have gone elsewhere and found places where the locals actuallyWANT you there, treat you well, and welcome you.

its also historically the most unstable country in the region, military junta, protests, airport closures, corrupt police etc etc etc. 

And with the drop in currency, the perfect storm is now complete.

Actually, it's farangs who've had it too good for too long.

It's our currencies that have been overvalued for decades and now markets have realised that countries that are not printing billions are a far better bet.
People may have gone to other places but they'll be back here - it would be silly to think otherwise. It hasn't lost its attractions overnight.
Either way, I don't think Thailand is too bothered about losing cheap charlies who go into a meltdown over a few ticks on the exchange rate.

Things aren't that much more expensive.

A service at a famous bkk establishment in soi 8 used to cost 700 baht 10 years ago - that was about £10 at 70 baht to the pound

Today, that same service is 800 baht but with the pound below 38 baht to the pound, that's £21.

So the price has only risen by 100 baht over the last 10 years but the perceived cost to a Brit has more than doubled.

Don't blame Thailand for managing its currency well, blame the idiots at home managing yours abysmally.

Archived