Why is Thailand making it so difficult to retire

My wife is the owner of the house and when I do a long stay extension each year I have to have a copy of her blue book plus a copy of her Thai ID card plus a TM 30 for her.  So, I figure you too must have a TM30 for yourself and for your wife.  This is for C/M immigration at least.   Good luck!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fishtank said:

Looks like you are appliying for a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement and your wife and child are applying for the same extension based on being your wife and child.

800,000 Baht will need to be in your bank for 2 months before application.

800,000 will have to stay there for 3 months after application.

You then have to leave 400,000 in the bank for the remainder of the period until you top up to 800,000 for next time.

Yep. But I just leave the 800K alone collecting 1.625% interest then file for a tax refund to get back the 15% withholding tax. The girls at the Revenue department are actually very helpful and fill out the forms for me. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Honestly man... you should have applied for PR many years ago, and then Thai nationality and all of this would go away.

Too late now.

No honestly, I have never had any interest in becoming Thai, absolutely not. I don't think its even possible to become Thai unless your a refugee or get adopted. I do know chap who did the adopted route 40 years ago.  I'll ask my friend who has a PR what hoops he has to jump through. 

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, wilailuk said:

How any farang from velfunctioning western countries choose to work in LOS as a teacher, or in other lowpaying jobs, is totally beyond me, I don´t understand it!

It should be the other way around: Work at good paying jobs offshore, at sea, fishing boat (Alaska crab fishing) etc. etc. - and when you have a s..tload of dough, THEN move here, much, much better..

To use your best working years like that, is just plain stupid, and I don´t accept any crying and whining, when people have chosen like that, som nam naa..

Believe it or not not ever teaching job in Thailand is not crap. A job in a good international school will net you 5,000 us dollars and up a month. But you have to do your home work to figure out how the system works

Edited by moe666
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

Honestly man... you should have applied for PR many years ago, and then Thai nationality and all of this would go away.

Too late now.

This.

People not bothered to research how relatively easy it is to get either of these, particularly if you are working and married.

Instead they rely on bar stool talk on it being neigh impossible, which is just cr@p.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, RBOP said:

Yep. But I just leave the 800K alone collecting 1.625% interest then file for a tax refund to get back the 15% withholding tax. The girls at the Revenue department are actually very helpful and fill out the forms for me. 

Yes mine too was done by a nice lady, after the initially frustrating efforts of getting the tax ID in the first place. Then after being messed about by the bank, before finding a helpful person at another branch. Better get some chocs for next year.

• Like 1

In process of prepping for application for Visa extension via an Immigration Agent.

Had Retirement Visa for 9 yrs & was relatively easy to use "income requirement" by producing letter from my Accountant backed up w/ Stat Dec witnessed @ Embassy. Not any more! 

I usually transfer funds to acc every 2 -3 mths, Nup!! Must transfer min 65k Bht every mth!!

Plus, need PROOF of deposit to Thai Bank account; statement insufficient, Bank Book insufficient, want "info" ( whatever that may be!!) stamped by Bank!! Tried to explain the Transfers are done 'electronically'; no paper chase!!

It's a bureaucratic nightmare... They love paper!!  Next time @ Immi office, take a look @ Immi Officers desks, piled high w/ files!!

• Like 2

18 hours ago, fishtank said:

Looks like you are appliying for a 12 month extension of stay based on retirement and your wife and child are applying for the same extension based on being your wife and child.

800,000 Baht will need to be in your bank for 2 months before application.

800,000 will have to stay there for 3 months after application.

You then have to leave 400,000 in the bank for the remainder of the period until you top up to 800,000 for next time.

Such a ridiculous post. I don't think OP wants t know the requirement. He is venting is anger in the only place where he could. 

40 minutes ago, Henryford said:

Because they don't want you here

And I get a big hassle from bank when want to transfer money out but depends on the branch and person behind the counter. Last year when paying for overseas purchased health insurance (because local insurance is poor value for the cost) the counter girl wanted my work permit. Another year didn't need it. Lets see what they need this year.  

• Like 2