Why is Thailand making it so difficult to retire

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

25k gets you an easy retirement VISA.

No, the same documents required. The agent just holds your hand through the process and gets your que number ahead of time so you don't have to wait all day. Cheapest agent wants 15K per person not including government fees and other fees.

Edited by RBOP

9 minutes ago, justin case said:

we are all tourists, from the guy that landed yesterday to the person that worked and lived here 40+ years...

people referring to how difficult it is to get your wife into your country:

that is once... than she get a 5 year card, no money showing required, she can work from day 1, own house, car and when you get divorced, YOU WILL pay for her as your government will make you sign papers she will be on your cost..

so, please, don't start to compare

you and I all have the right to spend money and follow silly rules or HAVE to go home, even you paid for everything, have family, etc...

wish I new this crap 15 years ago, would have never moved

as my evil ex turned into the monster b.each once we moved here and I found out I had 0 rights ... yeah yeah, blabla, can always return ...but not without my daughter and she is keeping her here against her will also... thai law bullcrap

It was so simple to get my Lao wife a 10 year visitor visa for Canada.  Only needed our marriage certificate, passport and her driver license. 

Hmmm. I see you are organized and have a checklist of things to do. All documents readily available and it requires some time in the copy shop. It's a little more work because you have a family too. The first time can seem a little daunting but after that is is more-or-less repeat the process. You may have been here a long time but you are still a foreigner. What country doesn't treat foreigners differently and keep track of them? An what country doesn't change policies over time? Even in the US I have to prove who I am to comply with new policies.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, wilailuk said:

How any farang from velfunctioning western countries choose to work in LOS as a teacher, or in other lowpaying jobs, is totally beyond me, I don´t understand it!

It should be the other way around: Work at good paying jobs offshore, at sea, fishing boat (Alaska crab fishing) etc. etc. - and when you have a s..tload of dough, THEN move here, much, much better..

To use your best working years like that, is just plain stupid, and I don´t accept any crying and whining, when people have chosen like that, som nam naa..

"I don´t understand it!"

Indeed you don't!

• Like 1

I do wonder about Vietnam. I think it has a real mystical appeal. Much like Thailand had but more than Thailand, it is developing at a rate that which could be interesting for farang. I have a few contacts there I should get there.

I guess my questions would be:

How would the wife take it

Would our son have a better education in Vietnam.

It's really not that far from us either.

Guess I'd wonder how it would be for medical for all there too.

17 hours ago, BritManToo said:

25k gets you an easy retirement VISA.

I sometimes think that that is what the IO’s prefer you to use an agent. This way they get a slice of the action under the table. If you do everything yourself then the 1900BHT goes directly to the government.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I feel for you that in one hell of a long list . Everyone goes on about agents but it’s illegal as far as I am aware , a friend of mine is using an agent it’s costing him 15,000 baht a years extension costs 1,900 baht so someone is making a lot of money I wonder who ! It’s the same when you do your 1st 90 day after your extension of stay renewal the IO told me I have to bring an updated bankbook showing the 800 k and a letter from the bank yet another 200 baht the bank make  ☹️☹️☹️☹️

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crazykopite said:

I feel for you that in one hell of a long list . Everyone goes on about agents but it’s illegal as far as I am aware , a friend of mine is using an agent it’s costing him 15,000 baht a years extension costs 1,900 baht so someone is making a lot of money I wonder who ! 

I use a 25k agent, she gets 5k, immigration get 20k.

But it's not 1 CM immigration officer getting the money, it's spread right up to head office in Bangkok.

BJ would have been getting his cut.

If you've worked in Thailand for 25 years you might have considered to apply for permanent residence during that time. Once obtained you may choose to work or not, and there are no more hoops, except to obtain a re-entry stamp in the Certificate of Residence book & your passport in case you leave Thailand at any time and wish to return. You might also compare your situation to other countries...what if a Thai family wanted to retire in the UK for example...do you think they could so easily?

14 minutes ago, Uptooyoo said:

How many expat-teachers are contributing to their nation's retirement system? Even if I had earned $5000/month as a teacher, I'm glad I did not move here at a young age. If I had, I wouldn't be looking forward to a monthly social-security check, a company pension, and a company sponsored 401K savings plan. When you're young, such matters seem distant and far into the future; so it's easy to push thoughts of retirement to the back of the mind, until one day, you wake up, look into the mirror, and see a 50 year old man wondering how the years slipped by so quickly. Cold sweat and heart palpitations kick-in when you realize it's too late now, that you're destined to a life of slogging through endless teaching sessions, while others your age are off to a daily round of golf and spa treatments...without the anxiety of needing to earn money. Their only worry?  Where to have dinner after the evening swim.  

Doesn't matter any more, in the Uk the young guys aren't getting company pensions, and little hope of government pensions. The entitlements you expected in the boomer years are all gone now.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, RBOP said:

Yep. But I just leave the 800K alone collecting 1.625% interest then file for a tax refund to get back the 15% withholding tax. The girls at the Revenue department are actually very helpful and fill out the forms for me. 

May I ask what bank and account you are using to gain that rate?

I often think about it but as I have not seen a rate that high.... AND I am always wary the account type or some other silly detail will make it not accepted net RV extension ....  Yes I see the title "accessable funds" is all we need, however, depends if the clerk had a nice coffee or not...

Thanks all.

That is a good point that one of the contributors made. The Thai people make no difference between good and bad foreigners. A foreigner is a foreigner.

It seems that the large majority of people here are not used to or interested in diversity.

It is a homogenous and quite closed society. I'm not sure they have many friends from outside.

It's all a bit "frog under the coconut shell", if you know that story.