Why is Thailand making it so difficult to retire

They don't want farang retiring here. Simple. 

The Thai elites have been waiting for decades for the opportunity to rid Thailand of non rich foreign pensioners. 

They believe their opportunity has come with the arrival of the Chinese middle and upper classes. 

They will happily and quickly replace farang with their Chinese cousins. 

If you goto immigration, you will see plenty of Chinese. If you watch for who is buying Thai real estate, you will likewise see many Chinese. 

What nonsense. Chinese citizens wishing to live here long term have to fulfill the exact same requirements as farangs and are subject to the exact same laws (property ownership etc)

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, RBOP said:

10. Copy of TM.30 (new instruction...report residence by the house owner. As you're the owner, I have to check if you have to do or not.). My understanding not needed as we are all in my yellow book. We also have our pink cards and/or drivers licences.

Yellow book does not negate need to do TM 30 if house owner, IMO.

Your requirements seem far more onerous than for a normal retirement extension.

In my case an agent made all the problems go away. Bliss.

18 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

To be fair do you know another Asian country that is less xenophobic than Thailand.  I only speak from experience but Korea and Japan are 10 times more xenophobic than Thailand.  

The Philippines welcomes everyone, including retirees. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Gweiloman said:

What nonsense. Chinese citizens wishing to live here long term have to fulfill the exact same requirements as farangs and are subject to the exact same laws (property ownership etc)

Sent from my iPad using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Did you look up that information on a form or website somewhere?

I also note there is no prostitution or corruption in Thailand. 

Well, there could not be, could there? It's against the law. ????

19 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

To be fair do you know another Asian country that is less xenophobic than Thailand.  I only speak from experience but Korea and Japan are 10 times more xenophobic than Thailand.  

Is there any other country in Asia, or indeed the world who has this 90 day reporting and TM 28 and 30 nonsense?

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You'd need to ask the British (or EU government) that.

One of the reasons I want Brexit.

People can (note the word can) apply for permanent resident status and then can (note that word can again) apply for British Citizenship. Both will be subject to the rules in force at the time of application.

Are you suggesting it's automatic in some way?

6 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

Is there any other country in Asia, or indeed the world who has this 90 day reporting and TM 28 and 30 nonsense?

A Google search "countries where foreigners must report their address" will give the answer, always assuming you're actually interested in finding out, rather than just having an anti-Thailand rant. First on the results list is Croatia

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, ianezy0 said:

I sometimes think that that is what the IO’s prefer you to use an agent. This way they get a slice of the action under the table. If you do everything yourself then the 1900BHT goes directly to the government.

Doesn't the government and IO's work together?

Just now, Kurtf said:

I think you have got the picture. We are not wanted. If we were wanted they would be doing everything in their power to make it less onerous and difficult. They would be greasing the wheels of bureaucracy but they have been doing the exact opposite. So it is painfully obvious to the most casual observer, farangs are being discouraged about retiring in the land of smiles.

I would add that it's not about shaking out all foreigners and is more like they have raised the financial bar. Go Elite. OR. Season your money much longer than before. OR. Transfer in full requirements money (to the lucky nationals) when before the annual import requirement was ZERO. OR. The corruption path, also about money.

• Like 1

Thailand is screwing with their future. I was just told today after being on a retirement visa for four years, and I show consistent income that because I'm an American, my income statements me nothing (now registering as married here) and that I am forced to make the minimal deposit of 400k because I am married. I predict the continual undoing of Thailand; their economy is truly in the toilet though they may try to paint a facade of success. More and more expats I know are moving to Vietnam and other places. Too bad to see Thailand going down the toilet so quickly. Sabai good bye

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, johnc925 said:

Thailand is screwing with their future. I was just told today after being on a retirement visa for four years, and I show consistent income that because I'm an American, my income statements me nothing (now registering as married here) and that I am forced to make the minimal deposit of 400k because I am married. I predict the continual undoing of Thailand; their economy is truly in the toilet though they may try to paint a facade of success. More and more expats I know are moving to Vietnam and other places. Too bad to see Thailand going down the toilet so quickly. Sabai good bye

Really? You're married, but opted for the 800K avenue? With that approach, monthly deposits would perhaps be the choice for many; others may just deposit the full amount and be smiling at their next renewal.

When married to a Thai, the 400K approach seems more reasonable (although there are associated costs, e,g, the pictures in front of the house, etc.). In the same vein, monthly deposits can be made (or so I understand), but why not just deposit the 400K in one lump sum... and keep it there "forever"?

Everybody seems to worry about the financial requirements. I personally am pissed off at the onerous necessity to renew one's stay every freaking year. Is this requirement something that Buddha would like? Heck no! From what I understand, he believed in moderation.

The Thai government does not preach Buddhism, much less practicality; otherwise they would drop their nonsense of wasting paper (e,g, massive photocopying of documents) and other environment waste.

P.S. Back to my original line of thought, if 400K is too much for you to swallow, please go home. Even with that paltry amount, it is unlikely the US gov't will even allow for your Thai wife to immigrate (and this has nothing to do with the current administration!).

10 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Really? You're married, but opted for the 800K avenue? With that approach, monthly deposits would perhaps be the choice for many; others may just deposit the full amount and be smiling at their next renewal.

When married to a Thai, the 400K approach seems more reasonable (although there are associated costs, e,g, the pictures in front of the house, etc.). In the same vein, monthly deposits can be made (or so I understand), but why not just deposit the 400K in one lump sum... and keep it there "forever"?

Everybody seems to worry about the financial requirements. I personally am pissed off at the onerous necessity to renew one's stay every freaking year. Is this requirement something that Buddha would like? Heck no! From what I understand, he believed in moderation.

The Thai government does not preach Buddhism, much less practicality; otherwise they would drop their nonsense of wasting paper (e,g, massive photocopying of documents) and other environment waste.

P.S. Back to my original line of thought, if 400K is too much for you to swallow, please go home. Even with that paltry amount, it is unlikely the US gov't will even allow for your Thai wife to immigrate (and this has nothing to do with the current administration!).

I got married to a Thai this year and I am remaining with the 800k baht method. It worked for me last year and see no reason to change. It is peace of mind for me. It is not sitting there doing nothing. It is buying my presence in Thailand where essentially everything is cheaper than where I come from. It's a net plus (in my eyes)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, murraynz said:

`not everybody who pays an agent, is bad....i pay an agent, my application is 100% legit, bank deposits etc..

i just cant stand the 'ever changing' requests from immigration people...

the agent does everything, in very quick time...

Mind if I ask how much your Agent charged for a 100% legit application & what documents you needed to provide ?

I've been quoted 8,500 to do mine (Plus 5,000 for a Re-entry Permit) but the lady I spoke to doesn't speak English very well so when I asked her what documentation I needed she just said Passport, but I figure Passport, TM30/Proof of Address, 2 Photos & proof of 800k in the Bank (though can probably get this from the Bank on the day),

Oh, and did you need to visit immigration in person (I believe you have to for Extensions).

Thx

MTV

1 minute ago, Mike Teavee said:

I've been quoted 8,500 to do mine (Plus 5,000 for a Re-entry Permit) but the lady I spoke to doesn't speak English very well so when I asked her what documentation I needed she just said Passport, but I figure Passport, TM30/Proof of Address, 2 Photos & proof of 800k in the Bank (though can probably get this from the Bank on the day),

No, she just means passport, that's all you need through an agent.

19 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

Why,

400k/year is more than 4x what most Thai families live on.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Martyp said:

I got married to a Thai this year and I am remaining with the 800k baht method. It worked for me last year and see no reason to change. It is peace of mind for me. It is not sitting there doing nothing. It is buying my presence in Thailand where essentially everything is cheaper than where I come from. It's a net plus (in my eyes)

One good thing about this 800k method, easier to do without a wife knowing.

If marriage, and Thai wife knows there is 400k in the bank, how long will it last?

lol

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

No, she just means passport, that's all you need through an agent.

I can understand that being the case for somebody not able to prove the financials but would have thought the costs of that would be higher than 8,500 (15,000 or so) 

21 hours ago, dbrenn said:

That sums it up. 

It's harsh, but you should never make plans that extend beyond the visa expiry date that is stamped in your passport. To do otherwise is running the risk of disappointment if the rules change, as they do.

Doesn't only apply to Thailand either, unfortunately. 

Yes well said, the word "retirement"in the Visa and Extension offerings, perhaps creates an illusion (perhaps not in the past the way it was administered), most folk hopefully will view retirement lasting for many years with a good degree of continuity.

I think it is like in the UK, many who have the opportunity to build a nice pension early on, but as they know there is a "State pension" they put it as a low priority, as they think the State Pension will magically may meet their aspirations, without knowing any detail, but for most it won't, and they don't realise  for many years.

How many Retires would now up-sticks, and move here if they gave it detailed scrutiny with their head, with the heart aspect  on pause. But Thailand can still give a magical first impression, that you fall in love with....

It's a miss-match of expectation and reality that causes a lot of grief IMHO.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 8:22 AM, RBOP said:

So many hoops to jump through.

Lucky you, no requirement for a hand drawn map besides the Google-map, and a not more than one week old medical certificate from a hospital, as some of us others need to supply for an extension based on retirement...????

• Like 1