Caucasian man found dead in abandoned Buri Ram building with plastic bag over his head

Jonathan Fairfield

22 hours ago, andre47 said:

"A coming autopsy would show whether he killed himself or was murdered, said police."

plastic bag over his head - can somebody kill himself like this?????

Should come with a warning: "Don't try this at home!"

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, Beggar said:

Plastic bag only will be hard since you can't get rid of the Co2. The Co2 forces you to breathe. Just try it with a plastic bag - not to the end... If you remove the Co2 and the oxygen you will get unconscious and die without much suffering. You might not even realize the problem until it is too late. 

I got dizzy and almost fainted......thanks for telling me not to go to the end. I almost liked it..... What a head rush!!

22 hours ago, Guitar God said:

It’s one of the most common ways. People usually take an overdose of sedatives and once they’re drowsy they’ll tie a bag over their head. 

Based on the fact that absolutely nothing was mentioned that would suggest foul play , I’ll wait for more details before I automatically assume what looks like suicide is actually murder. 

Expat bar stool pilots love to add their “expert” opinion that every elderly farang who died here was murdered. Every 190 cm tall drunk Brit who falls off a balcony was pushed. 

I’m 193, my center of gravity is about 10 cm higher than the old, low hotel balconies. A couple times I’ve checked into a hotel, leaned against the balcony and almost fell over. 

Some terminally ill retiree in chronic pain decides to kill themselves rather that suffer and a dozen armchair quarterbacks feel the need to declare he was murdered by some gold-digging wife he’d been married to for 20 years.  

If i were you ,i would start using ground floor rooms in hotels or motels,and eliminate the possibility of one day taking a header over a balcony!!

22 hours ago, Guitar God said:

It’s one of the most common ways. People usually take an overdose of sedatives and once they’re drowsy they’ll tie a bag over their head. 

Based on the fact that absolutely nothing was mentioned that would suggest foul play , I’ll wait for more details before I automatically assume what looks like suicide is actually murder. 

Expat bar stool pilots love to add their “expert” opinion that every elderly farang who died here was murdered. Every 190 cm tall drunk Brit who falls off a balcony was pushed. 

I’m 193, my center of gravity is about 10 cm higher than the old, low hotel balconies. A couple times I’ve checked into a hotel, leaned against the balcony and almost fell over. 

Some terminally ill retiree in chronic pain decides to kill themselves rather that suffer and a dozen armchair quarterbacks feel the need to declare he was murdered by some gold-digging wife he’d been married to for 20 years.  

But there is a number of suicide that must be cheked by FBI

19 hours ago, leeneeds said:

The young in the video, are so

ghoulish, they are a breed for phone sensationalism, 

I can think of better places to be.

R.I.P.

Yet you clicked on the video.  And, before anyone asks, no, I have no intention of watching it.  That would be ghoulish.

23 hours ago, andre47 said:

"A coming autopsy would show whether he killed himself or was murdered, said police."

A pro assisted suicide doctor in Australia Dr Nitschke used to supply suicide plastic bags and instruct patients how to suicide with them 

5 hours ago, Bundooman said:

Don't you just love the way the police, with bare hands, rummage through the poor guy's belongings - looking for ................... what? What we might think of as money, goodies, valuables, or just his passport, etc.

It would have been less suspicious if they had worn surgical gloves to avoid smearing and potential evidence, don't you think?

the video gave them the look of avarice and enthusiasm........ worrying, eh? would they do that in my house when I die?

Yet amateur speculation and rummaging through this poor guy's life and death by a bunch of clueless barstool cowboys is perfectly okay?  Give me someone rummaging through my belongings any day.

Yet amateur speculation and rummaging through this poor guy's life and death by a bunch of clueless barstool cowboys is perfectly okay?  Give me someone rummaging through my belongings any day.

And you’ve joined in because...

1 hour ago, Beggar said:

This is wrong here. In other news sources they write buthan gas what makes sense. 

Now yes, makes perfect sense. Cooking gas will easily replace both O2 and CO2 and is easy to obtain. Even thought about asking if it could be used for the purpose. The only issue would probably be the smell.

On 23 July 2019 at 2:17 PM, thesetat2013 said:

Dropped his bag at a different place with his notebook inside but all forms of ID he decided would identify him so he must have placed those elsewhere or buried them. Then he went to an abandoned building and wrapped his head in plastic and then tied a rope around his neck to a gasoline can. I will love to read how this is spun into a suicide. 

Where did you read tied rope round his neck in the OP? Or did you decide to "juice" it up a bit

4 hours ago, Billy The Kid said:

Definitely was murdered , impossible to kill himself with plastic bags ... 

Impossible to kill himself with plastic bags. Really?

This must be the most stupid post I have read this year. Ignorant and bare of facts, not even a simple link to anywhere. What a crock of sh1t.

Try Googling "suicide by plastic bag" and you get about 17,100,000 results (0.42 seconds).

Here are 3 to be going on with. Sadly you will not be allowed to read the first link as you have to be over 18 to do so.

http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/plastic-bag-drugs

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29785586

https://insights.ovid.com/crossref?an=00000433-200209000-00005

Impossible to kill himself with plastic bags. Really?

This must be the most stupid post I have read this year. Ignorant and bare of facts, not even a simple link to anywhere. What a crock of sh1t.

Try Googling "suicide by plastic bag" and you get about 17,100,000 results (0.42 seconds).

Here are 3 to be going on with. Sadly you will not be allowed to read the first link as you have to be over 18 to do so.

http://lostallhope.com/suicide-methods/plastic-bag-drugs

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29785586

https://insights.ovid.com/crossref?an=00000433-200209000-00005

I think it was a joke

11 hours ago, xerostar said:

"I have talked it over with my wife already. I would rather the money stays with my wife than paid out to a hospital in large chunks for the sanctity of life."

I have have heard the same story many times in Thailand:
The elderly parent being kept alive in hospital. The son or daughter given false hopes of a cure by the doctor, spending every last dime in a vain attempt to "save" their parent.

The costs are so great as to send some people bankrupt!
The medical profession take advantage of this situation. It's an industry. No wonder they are against euthanasia.

I'd hate to think my children would waste large sums of money trying to keep me alive despite me having had a good innings and being past my use-by date.

The USA has a terrible history of nursing homes keeping the elderly alive, force feeding them to keep the income stream going.  My ex and I went through a battle after the ex's mom got brain cancer.   She opted for surgery and stroked 3 weeks later.  Virtually all mental abilities were gone.  

We had a living will, full power of attorney and a DNR.  We instructed the nursing home to stop force feeding her, but would come every day,  and several times find the staff putting food in her mouth.   Her instructions were very clear,  but the home challenged us, even saying we were trying to kill her.

A week later, after dark and between shifts, we drove my SUV to the back door, went in, loaded her up and moved her to a hospice facility.   They allowed her to die naturally. 

Bottom line?  Do not end up in a nursing home and brain dead.  Worse experience ever.

The USA has a terrible history of nursing homes keeping the elderly alive, force feeding them to keep the income stream going.  My ex and I went through a battle after the ex's mom got brain cancer.   She opted for surgery and stroked 3 weeks later.  Virtually all mental abilities were gone.  

We had a living will, full power of attorney and a DNR.  We instructed the nursing home to stop force feeding her, but would come every day,  and several times find the staff putting food in her mouth.   Her instructions were very clear,  but the home challenged us, even saying we were trying to kill her.

A week later, after dark and between shifts, we drove my SUV to the back door, went in, loaded her up and moved her to a hospice facility.   They allowed her to die naturally. 

Bottom line?  Do not end up in a nursing home and brain dead.  Worse experience ever.

Yes, EU countries are much more civilized, when people get old and their medical care becomes too expensive they just help them along.

1 minute ago, mogandave said:

I didn’t mean you were joking.

I understand that but IMHO this subject is somewhat sensitive to many of us older people simply because of what may happen to our wife and friends/neighbours if the police get the wrong idea about how we decided to end our lives.

What is needed should we decide that is the best way to go is someone reliable who can disappear the equipment used. Remember that at that point we may not be able to write very well so a note to be left can be printed out and signed wherever possible.

The police HAVE to investigate every farang's death in Thailand to their respective embassies and the body has to be taken to the hospital to certify that the death was not the result of external sources, ie shot, stabbed etc. After which the body is released to the Thai family and taken to the wat or wherever.

It may help, at least in rural Thailand, if the local Pu Yai Ban was aware of the circumstances and could explain to the police that the farang knew he was dying anyway and that this was his way out.

On 7/23/2019 at 2:19 PM, andre47 said:

Yes.  Whether intentionally or accidentally, once the available oxygen is depleted you'll pass out and eventually die.  It's not as common anymore, but some people will be stupid enough to soak a rag in gasoline or saturate a rag in spray paint (gold colored spray paint is preferred for some reason) and then inhale the fumes (often called "huffing") to get a high.  Some geniuses will go as far as to place the rag in a plastic bag and then place the bag over their head, tying it around their neck.  If they are overtaken by the fumes and pass out, odds are they will die unless discovered by someone before it's too late.

Archived