Teacher's License Renewal HELP PLEASE

sensei

As the title suggests, I need to have my license renewed. It is valid until the 25th of January next year.

I've been told that I can renew my license 180 days before it expires.

I WANT TO GO TOMORROW- 24 July which is 185 days before the expiration of my license because it's midterms and this trip would not cause any disruption to my classes.

Is there anyone here with any experience regarding this? KURUSAPA is about 2 hours away from where I live so it is not convenient to go just to comeback again after 5 days. I have been calling their ONLY phone number listed on the website but it's been busy since I started calling it an hour ago.

Please HELP...

Disregard this AFTER 24 July, 2019.

THANK YOU

The notice that I’ve seen that is sent with new licenses states that you MUST renew 180 days before expiration ... so 185 seems spot on for timing.

Everyone I know who has renewed a 5-year does so around 7 months or so... but never less than 180 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

21 minutes ago, new2here said:

Everyone I know who has renewed a 5-year does so around 7 months or so... but never less than 180 days.

Everyone... 7 months...
How many is "everyone" 555+

I might try and risk it

Why not just apply by mail? You will not get it any faster because applying in person. It still has to go through a committee and than the license itself has to be printed, which I believe they do in batches. 

2 minutes ago, Preacher said:

Why not just apply by mail? You will not get it any faster because applying in person. It still has to go through a committee and than the license itself has to be printed, which I believe they do in batches. 

I think it has to be done personally. Besides, it is not easy to entrust my documents to the local postal service. 

2 minutes ago, Preacher said:

If the OP goes there in person, at least they'll tell him what they'd like to see, or if something is missing.

He'll immediately know when he receives the new card, pays the 500 baht and it's sorted. 

Using the post isn't as effective. Khurusapha isn't well known for fast replies. 

Just now, sensei said:

I think it has to be done personally. Besides, it is not easy to entrust my documents to the local postal service. 

Yep, you're right. Go there in person, they told me 180 days before, so you should be fine.

Best of luck and please report back!!

1 minute ago, Isaanbiker said:

If the OP goes there in person, at least they'll tell him what they'd like to see, or if something is missing.

He'll immediately know when he receives the new card, pays the 500 baht and it's sorted. 

Using the post isn't as effective. Khurusapha isn't well known for fast replies. 

i've been on the phone for over an hour now. how can such an office have ONLY ONE number to call!?  It's still BUSY!

3 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

Yep, you're right. Go there in person, they told me 180 days before, so you should be fine.

Best of luck and please report back!!

180 days, TOMORROW is 185 days before the expiration of my license... 

I've been turned away before (90-day check in) when i was one day off their grace period...

I'll report back tomorrow.

If I am not mistaken, this can't be done by mail...

16 hours ago, sensei said:

180 days, TOMORROW is 185 days before the expiration of my license... 

I've been turned away before (90-day check in) when i was one day off their grace period...

I'll report back tomorrow.

If I am not mistaken, this can't be done by mail...

I did it by mail last February. Took a couple of months to get my new license. Only the pay by post option didn't work this time, so had to send cash.

Be sure to apply before the 180 days deadline. It looks like you have to apply within the last 180 days, but as far as I know and has been pointed out it must be before the 180 day deadline. Otherwise you have to explain why you apply to late.

Just got back...

I went there early this morning. I got there with a couple of hours to spare before the lunch break.

Got a number and waited for it get called. I submitted my documents and was asked to sit and wait.

The man at the counter asked me to fill out the empty parts of the KS02.10  renewal form (pages 3 and 4) because I really didn't have anything significant to write there.

I just wrote stuff that Ie I did but didn't have certificates to show for it and went back to submit the documents (the school did not give certificates to everything that we do there). Once again, I was asked to sit and wait.

Half an hour before the lunch break, the man summoned me again and said that the 1x1 picture that I gave him is an old one and that I need to get a new one taken at a shop he pointed out. The picture that I included in the application is actually the same one that used in the previous license but to be honest, I still look exactly the same.

I did what he asked me to do and was able to return with a few minutes to spare.

I paid the THB200 fee and I was done.

Everything that I was worried about yesterday was nothing to worry about after all. It is a good thing that I came in person rather than trying to send it by mail because it was easier for me to correct those faults that they found.

Anyway...

I'll just wait for 2 months for the new license to arrive by mail.

I'll keep you posted about this around 25 September this year

THANK YOU FOR ALL OF YOUR INPUT

I REALLY APPRECIATE IT

24 minutes ago, sensei said:

the man summoned me again and said that the 1x1 picture that I gave him is an old one and that I need to get a new one taken at a shop he pointed out.

his sister owns that shop. count on it.

1 minute ago, NCC1701A said:

his sister owns that shop. count on it.

That was exactly what I was saying under my breath as I smiled and went on my way. By the looks of it, the lady could be his mom. 

10 hours ago, Number 6 said:

A question for all those that have done the renewal. What does your professional development look like? Certificates and what not? How much is necessary and the quality of any of the coursework?

I left out a lot of spaces empty because I really didn't have much to write specifically on pages 4 and 5. The man insisted that I write something there. He sounded like the approval of my renewal is depending on this. He was looking like if I did not do what he asked me to do, he would not accept my papers so I did what he asked and took the paper back. I was torn because I...

- did not participate in a training course and received certificate that accrediting expertise in professional practice from the Teachers’ Council of Thailand

-have not taken training course relevant to the performance of duty

- have not obtained an academic standing promotion

-have not written a textbook or published an academic report within the past 5 years

- have not been awarded by the Teachers’ Council of Thailand or other educational agencies

and many other things... The man was literally asking me to pull stuff from my arse... 

Many of the things listed there did not apply to foreign teachers at all. Foreign teachers rarely get a pay raise and a promotion. We do not have ranks or levels to start with

Many of the seminars and conferences offered are in Thai- a language I do not understand.

I wrote stuff there but i didn't have certificates to support nor prove that I have done those things I listed there. 

I was asked provide a new picture and was asked to pay..

we'll see what happens in 2 months

• 4 weeks later...

I am back as I have promised.

I got a message from the office today that they have received something for me. It came in a brown rectangular envelope with my name written in Thai. I asked someone to read it for me and yes, it belonged to me.

I was feeling a bit anxious because it had the words The Teachers' Council of Thailand on the upper left hand corner. Some questions were popping in my head. Are they asking for more documents? Did they reject my request for a renewal? Then I felt something that felt like a credit card inside. I knew what it was... 

My new license.

THANK YOU for all of your input.

Much appreciated

Archived