Suggestions for front door replacement

My wife's house has a pair of thin wooden side-by-side doors (french door style?) as our main entrance (see attached pic). These doors face westward, with the sun beating down on them almost everyday for the last 6+ years. The doors have now become an eyesore, and they (along w/ perhaps other issues) affect our attempts at keeping the house cool (with aircon).

My wife's family is in the home construction business, and my BIL has suggested that we replace the door with an aluminum sliding door (w/ tinted glass). This sounds reasonable, however I am concerned about losing out on the overall width that we currently enjoy when both of the existing doors are open. After all, should the need arise, how will we be able to bring inside a large sized appliance and/or furniture with a sliding door that only affords us half the width of the original opening?

Does anyone have thoughts on some other type of door? I've seen pics of an accordion style door, however I am not sure if this style is available in Thailand. Is there a better door available that will not shrink/warp when the extreme heat of the sun hits it? I suspect anything made of wood is out of the question.

Any links and/or pics of alternate suggestions for a door would be appreciated.

TIA.

DoorBig.JPG

What is wrong with this door. It looks beautiful and gives a certain appearance to the house. Once replaced by the door you mentioned this appearance has gone and your house will look like a shop.

Suggest to paint the doors 1 time per year / two years. This is an minimal effort and will keep the price of your house up.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Halfaboy said:

What is wrong with this door. It looks beautiful and gives a certain appearance to the house. Once replaced by the door you mentioned this appearance has gone and your house will look like a shop.

Suggest to paint the doors 1 time per year / two years. This is an minimal effort and will keep the price of your house up.

Please take a closer look at the pic I posted. The bright lighted areas is the sunshine peering through the door. At the moment I happened to take the pic, the main door (on the right side) was locked. When unlocked, there is a substantial gap along where the two sides join. When locked, the gap is only apparent on the lower half.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 6:55 PM, Gumballl said:

Please take a closer look at the pic I posted. The bright lighted areas is the sunshine peering through the door. At the moment I happened to take the pic, the main door (on the right side) was locked. When unlocked, there is a substantial gap along where the two sides join. When locked, the gap is only apparent on the lower half.

Its appears from the photo, that the door could be relatively easily repaired in a way to eliminate the gaps using some simple trimming and perhaps putting a shim into the hinge(s) to make to make the doors square.

It may also require some paint afterwards to hide trim/shim add ons.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2019 at 6:07 PM, Halfaboy said:

Seriously, did you actually notice the condition/poor build quality?

Perhaps a perspective issue from the camera used, but the frame doesn't look square. That's something which would need to be redressed before fitting new doors.

If you like the style of the door and a new frame is needed, choose one that fits a thicker door. Mai Daeng is quite robust at a lesser price than Makha (teak).

If you see doors and frames that have obviously been around for a while and other than needing a good sanding down are sound. Choose those.

Recycled teak could also be worth a look.

For certain I would check out Scorpion doors. 

I had my original developer supplied doors replaced  by Scorpion security doors

They will solve all your problems

2 Downsides

1) They are in Pattaya

2) They are not cheap. From memory my arrangement which was 1.5 door plus a 0.5 door cost 40000  Baht

Web site

http://www.scorpiondoors.com/

3 hours ago, Delight said:

For certain I would check out Scorpion doors. 

I had my original developer supplied doors replaced  by Scorpion security doors

They will solve all your problems

2 Downsides

1) They are in Pattaya

2) They are not cheap. From memory my arrangement which was 1.5 door plus a 0.5 door cost 40000  Baht

Web site

http://www.scorpiondoors.com/

How is the steel-wood door made? Is the outer shell of the door made of steel?

Bear in mind that my current predicament is that the sun shines on my front door almost daily. The wood door has contracted to the point where there are literally gaps in the wood (it would almost seem that the original door was glued together from various decorative pieces, and the frame encompasses it all.

Most appliances /  furniture will fit through a single-width door, so no real worries on that front.

BUT

I would apply a two pronged approach.

Wood looks good and good quality hardwood doors will last well. Is it possible to provide shade from the ravages of the sun, some nice plants perhaps to kill the bad rays?

The frame isn't square and consequently the doors aren't fitted squarely either when referenced against the ceramics. The doors have shrunk and the filler has fallen out of poor joints.

Exposure to the elements could well have exacerbated the issue and a canopy would be helpful in the future.

Squaring the frame is really important if a good fitting door is what's needed. Do it well and increase the frame thickness (reduces the size of door you need) then the existing doors can be trimmed to fit. Use filler on the remaining gaps (which were filled originally) and re-paint/re-stain accordingly.

6 hours ago, Gumballl said:

How is the steel-wood door made? Is the outer shell of the door made of steel?

Bear in mind that my current predicament is that the sun shines on my front door almost daily. The wood door has contracted to the point where there are literally gaps in the wood (it would almost seem that the original door was glued together from various decorative pieces, and the frame encompasses it all.

My door is a steel door-that said it looks like  an aluminium  door outer frame but suspect that it is not. For certain there is no corrosion .In truth I do not know what the front skin  of the door is made from . It must be steel.The man from Scorpion advised me that I had to have the same door which had  been supplied to other co -owners-so I did.This was a committee decision. 

There are several cosmetic  designs. For certain it is robustly made. 

The sun shines on my door. I have noticed that on occasions the door handle is  a bit hot.

The door is exactly the same as the day it was installed -between 7 to 8 years ago.

You  will not have any problems with this type of door.

Edited by Delight

• 5 months later...