Brexiteer Boris Johnson to be Britain's next prime minister

snoop1130

4 minutes ago, tomacht8 said:

After all, 92,153 people from the UK have elected him.
Everything is good as long as the people choose their idiots themselves.

Absolutely no-one elected Mother Teresa but - as should be obvious - in the UK the leader of the government is not elected by "the people" but by "the people's representatives"

• Replies 218
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, cleopatra2 said:

If Mays deal is not Brexit how would voting for it achieve Brexit

DOH! ... who said May’s deal wasn’t Brexit ?

May’s deal would have achieved Brexit.

Are you confusing Brexit with No Deal?

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

I wonder what Nigel is offering Boris, give me a post in your government and I will give you a post in my government after the GE... 

The usual deal is to not to split the vote.

Conservatives who don't support no-deal Brexit will be deselected by the Cons, and each constituency will have a Conservative or Brexit party member (not both) standing. They then form a coalition government. Fairly easy to do.

5 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Absolutely no-one elected Mother Teresa but - as should be obvious - in the UK the leader of the government is not elected by "the people" but by "the people's representatives"

The conservative party members who voted for Johnson aren't "the people's representatives." They're just Conservative Party supporters willing to fork up the money to be able to vote. They represent only themselves.

12 hours ago, Loiner said:
14 hours ago, 7by7 said:
 Which is what May tried to do, but Rees-Mogg's ERG and other traitors to both country and party stopped her.

No it’s not what May tried to do. She tried to subjugate us by stealth. Fortunately for everyone in the UK, the ERG saved us from becoming a vassal state.

I won't bother asking you why you think May 'tried to subjugate us by stealth' nor what you consider to be bad about her deal as in the past you have simply ignored questions such as that.

In my post which you quoted from I asked:-

What deal do you think Boris will come up with? 

How will it differ from May's?

Do you have an answer to these questions?

8 hours ago, Thainesss said:
8 hours ago, simple1 said:

Got empirical data to backup your claims?

So the only things that can be said on this forum are things with 'empirical data' to back them up?

No; but when opinion is presented as fact some sort of evidence should be presented to back it up.

21 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The conservative party members who voted for Johnson aren't "the people's representatives." They're just Conservative Party supporters willing to fork up the money to be able to vote. They represent only themselves.

I and all my friends forked out five quid to join the Labour Party and vote for Jeremy Corbyn. We thought he would be fiasco and so he has proved to be. But you are confusing leadership of the party with leadership of the country. If (as happened with Mother Teresa) the leader of the government loses the confidence of the elected members, that person can no longer stay as leader of the country. The party members outside the parliament have no say in the matter.

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

MSM has predictably had a downer since Boris was confirmed as PM. 

Here in the UK that is not the case.

BTW, got that link to Rees-Mogg 'having the BBC for breakfast' yet?

5 hours ago, evadgib said:

Thankfully not everyone has joined in:

That your only source appears to be Hopkins, it is not surprising how wrong you are.

1 hour ago, Jip99 said:
3 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

Yet Boris voted for Mays deal in Parliament

There wasn’t any other to vote on !!

He was trying to achieve Brexit.....now he can try his way.

May was trying to achieve Brexit.

You can't have it both ways; her deal was bad, but Boris voting for it was good!

37 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Except Boris was not elected by the people's representatives, he was elected by unelected members of the Conservative party.

Who voted for them?

6 hours ago, cleopatra2 said:

Still waiting Boris to lie down in front of the bulldozers to prevent Heathrow expansion

If he calls an election about 5k majority over Labour and the other parties are prepared to stand down then out he goes. Plus his constituency is now over 30% ethnic minorities who can get their vote out and he's gone weak on his opposition to Heathrow expansion. Now that would be a joke and a half.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/meet-working-class-muslim-labour-18341921

38 minutes ago, Jip99 said:
1 hour ago, cleopatra2 said:

If Mays deal is not Brexit how would voting for it achieve Brexit

DOH! ... who said May’s deal wasn’t Brexit ?

May’s deal would have achieved Brexit.

Are you confusing Brexit with No Deal?

I thought you Brexiteers all said that May's deal was Brexit in name only?

38 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The usual deal is to not to split the vote.

Conservatives who don't support no-deal Brexit will be deselected by the Cons, and each constituency will have a Conservative or Brexit party member (not both) standing. They then form a coalition government. Fairly easy to do.

Not even Boris is stupid enough to get into bed with Farage.

His Brexit party may have done well in the EU Parliament elections when they attracted the protest vote because as we will be leaving their presence there is temporary and meaningless, but when it comes to a general Election, I foresee lost deposits all round.

10 minutes ago, 7by7 said:

Except Boris was not elected by the people's representatives, he was elected by unelected members of the Conservative party.  Who voted for them?

Clearly you fail to understand the process. The Conservative leader is elected by the elected representatives who merely present the "unelected members of the Conservative party" with a choice of two and only two. The "unelected members" can choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee, both of whom must already be elected MPs in their own right, with no other alternative. It's no contest, as close to a coronation as you can get. Did anyone doubt for a moment that Boris would be the winner? The great unwashed did not elect Jeremy Corbyn to be leader of the Labour Party either

6 minutes ago, beautifulthailand99 said:

If he calls an election about 5k majority over Labour and the other parties are prepared to stand down then out he goes. Plus his constituency is now over 30% ethnic minorities who can get their vote out and he's gone weak on his opposition to Heathrow expansion. Now that would be a joke and a half.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/meet-working-class-muslim-labour-18341921

Indeed, Uxbridge and South Ruislip is a marginal and unless he does stick to his promises about Heathrow expansion he is quite likely to become the first serving PM to lose his seat at a general election.

Supporters of his said on BBC London news last night that he will probably seek a safe seat for the next general election.

2 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

Clearly you fail to understand the process. The Conservative leader is elected by the elected representatives who merely present the "unelected members of the Conservative party" with a choice of two and only two. The "unelected members" can choose between Tweedledum and Tweedledee, both of whom must already be elected MPs in their own right, with no other alternative. It's no contest, as close to a coronation as you can get

I do understand the process; no matter how you try to make it seem like he was chosen by MPs, he wasn't.

They may have been presented with just two candidates, but the winner was chosen by the unelected members of the Conservative party.

That is the fact, no matter how you try to make it seem different.

1 minute ago, 7by7 said:

I do understand the process; no matter how you try to make it seem like he was chosen by MPs, he wasn't. They may have been presented with just two candidates, but the winner was chosen by the unelected members of the Conservative party. That is the fact, no matter how you try to make it seem different.

The UK is not a republic which is what you seem to think it should be. The great unwashed never elect a prime minister, they elect a local MP, however "presidential" an election campaign might be

20 hours ago, darksidedog said:

There goes the pound further south then. Money markets don't like him.

I wish him the best of luck in sorting this awful mess out and coming away with a deal May couldn't manage, though I have to say, I am not overly confident in his ability to pull it off.

You must be referring to Johnson's "<deleted> business" remark!  Worry not though because now he has fulfilled his dream of becoming PM he will be trying desperately to hang on to it. He will be spinning like a top over all that rhetoric he spouted when he was lobbing grenades from the side lines.

Love him or hate him (he is certainly the marmite PM) this is a significant development in British politics.  I hope he does shake it up but just how he does that will be interesting to see.  We won't leave with no deal but I understand why he wants that on the table. I suspect the deal with be a fudge but let's see. However by having no-deal on the table, it continues to hinder businesses expansion plans and it certainly doesn't help the pound.

Unlike May, Johnson is a very personable politician and that will help him with some but unlikely to impress the serious players.

22 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

The UK is not a republic which is what you seem to think it should be. The great unwashed never elect a prime minister, they elect a local MP, however "presidential" an election campaign might be

Might be the facts but not the reality.  People vote for the figurehead, not one of the minions.  The PM chooses the Cabinet and makes all the policies for the party.  They run the show and that is why people vote for them.

When Theresa May called the snap election it almost lost the Tories that election.  It did destroy their majority.  Anyone who thinks that that was due to voters voting for local MPs is extremely naïve.  That was due to Theresa May and her leadership. That is why people voted against her.

34 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:

I never said that the UK is a republic.

All I said was that Boris was not elected by the people's representatives, i.e. MPs, as claimed by you

1 hour ago, ThaiBunny said:

in the UK the leader of the government is not elected by "the people" but by "the people's representatives"

The PM is the leader of the party who can command a majority in the House of Commons.

How that leader is chosen is up to the party concerned. 

For Labour, the LibDems and Conservatives that is by a vote of the party members, not MPs.

MPs may choose the candidates, but it is party members who have the final say.

Boris has always struggled with details. He relies on his humour, enthusiasm and infectious personality. Even as a staunch Brexiteer I wonder if he has what it takes to break the deadlock. 

But you have to wonder how he has become one of the world's most famous and recognisable politicians whilst never holding a position of great power for any length of time. I guess it's because despite his shortcomings he has charisma by the bucket load. Theresa May appeared to have had a charisma bypass. I've seen countless clips of her milling around during EU gatherings like a loner with nobody to talk to. You have to say, when Boris speaks people want to listen. Maybe this simple but major difference between May and Johnson will be a game changer. 

If he also appoints the right people around him, people with the brains and genuine determination to deliver Brexit (no Ollie Robins etc.), maybe he will 'get this done' as he keeps saying. 

With an ego the size of his, he'll not want to go down in history as the shortest serving PM ever. So I can't help wondering if he has something up his sleeve wrt Brexit negotiations. It's going to be an interesting few weeks! 

5 hours ago, Somtamnication said:

God help us all. Our very own Trump!

“We have a really good man who’s going to be the prime minister of the UK now,” the US president said. “He’s tough and he’s smart. They’re saying, ‘Britain Trump’. They call him ‘Britain Trump’ and people are saying that’s a good thing. They like me over there. That’s what they wanted. That’s what they need. He’ll get it done. Boris is good. He’s gonna do a good job”

He said he is confident Johnson and Farage can work together well, he said. Johnson has previously ruled out pacts with Farage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-us-canada-49090804/trump-on-johnson-they-call-him-britain-trump

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

BTW, got that link to Rees-Mogg 'having the BBC for breakfast' yet?

Having watched it live it isn't me that needs one.

1 hour ago, 7by7 said:

That your only source appears to be Hopkins, it is not surprising how wrong you are.

MSM are deliberately side-stepping anything their paymasters don't like. Thankfully they're no longer getting away with it.

Mr. Johnson won handily! I wish him well. He will have it rather easy compared to his predecessor,I think. It seemed she did all the leg work for taking the controversy that went with Brexit!    

Archived