BANGKOK
oceaneyes

Subaru Forester

I just saw a 2020 Forester in a mall and while it looked good it felt cheap. The panels were light and hollow sounding. The doors flimsy and didn’t have that satisfying close that signals quality. The interior leather seemed thin. Reading about it I saw that back home the 2.5L engine is regarded as power starved and here it’s a 2.0L. It must be an utter dog. I was really disappointed because I wanted to like it. 30 years ago Subaru was superior to Honda and Toyota, but today it seems not. I walked away feeling the Forester is an underpowered tin can. 

Go for it! Anything that keeps another ugly Pajero from taking to the streets is a winner.

On 7/28/2019 at 7:41 PM, fredge45 said:

We went with the Forester 2.0i rather the the next model up (2.0iP) as I couldn't see paying more for bells and whistles I have no need of.  That was  year ago.

Dealer in Chiang Mai are foot draggers and really do not know their product.  Seem to have a very high turnover of staff, both sales and service, as well.  The service department there is very easy to use - I've never seen it busy.  Perhaps that is telling me something?

So far service has been OK but I'm one of those who watch each and every move.  Had a Toyota before and really appreciated that I could sit in air con room while watching them service the car.

Love the car and very happy with it.

Confusion on the service timing.  Booklet with the car says every 10,000 km, owner's manual (both Thai and English versions) say 15,000 km.   BKK Subaru center says thzat it is from the translation being incorrect - until I had them eat their words by going to the exact pages in the books.  Still no decision on this.

Not at all happy with the latest service in Chiang Mai.  No used parts presented to verify that the oil (engine and differentials) had actually been changed.  At the very last moment before I got into the car to leave a technician came running up with torque wrench in hand to torque the lug bolts after the tires had been rotated.  When I got home I noted one tire (the spare going into the rotation) had very low pressure - about 35% of what is required.  Technicians obviously had not done any checking of tire pressure.  As noted, one is not able to observe the car while being serviced so who is to know what is done or not done.  This has been brought to the attention of the BKK center.

On 1/24/2020 at 6:59 PM, Bay Ridge said:

I just saw a 2020 Forester in a mall and while it looked good it felt cheap. The panels were light and hollow sounding. The doors flimsy and didn’t have that satisfying close that signals quality. The interior leather seemed thin. Reading about it I saw that back home the 2.5L engine is regarded as power starved and here it’s a 2.0L. It must be an utter dog. I was really disappointed because I wanted to like it. 30 years ago Subaru was superior to Honda and Toyota, but today it seems not. I walked away feeling the Forester is an underpowered tin can. 

Did you drive it...?

• Like 1

I drive the Subaru Forester 2.0ip 2018 four wheel drive when in Phuket. Nothing bad to tell you. Drives well, feels well, only 9,500 km, did not fell apart. No idea about service etc., I am just an occasional driver. 

Edited by Gene1960