40K-ish salary and NON-O visa question

2 hours ago, problemfarang said:

actually you get non-o NOT for living together but for married with a thai. (please correct me if im wrong) Although yes i understand they want to check this... But what if they are married like 6-7 years already?

Correct. The Non O is granted to visit your wife. You can also get a 60-day extension to visit your wife.

However, a one-year extension of stay on the basis of marriage to a Thai follows different rules. The marriage must be de jure (married according to the law) and de facto (a current marriage with the husband and wife living together).

I am aware that genuine marriages where people must spend most of the time apart exist, but Thai immigration does not accommodate this in their rules.

Edited by BritTim
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, stament said:

Wow this 40k requirement is news to me and concerning. I'm currently on a multi Non-Immigrant that expires on Jan 1st 2020.

I am under 50, married with kids and I was under the assumption that I can just show 400k when I go to get the 1 year extension. Is my thinking correct or do I also need to show income? 

You do not have to wait until your non-o visa expires to apply for a one year extension of stay. You can apply during he last 30 days of any of 90 day entries from your visa.

It is 400k baht in a Thai bank for 2 months or proof of 40k income. 

On 7/26/2019 at 9:03 PM, KhaoYai said:

Out of interest, given that some English teachers don't earn 40k per month - how do they meet the income requirement? Are there special rules for teachers?

Yes, there are. 

There's no minimum wage requirement, even 15,000 baht per month would satisfy immigration and labor department. 

The OP made the statement that his friend does not want to apply for a Non-B.  It's possible to convert his current Non-O at the local Immigration, and the Non-O status will continue, and the applicant has to visit the Immigration every 90 days.

Or is he/she employed as a trainer or assistant? I was on a Non-O ME before but then extended my visa at the local Immigration because it was inconvenient to leave every 90 days. 

He/she will need the same documents required for a Non-B, plus the marriage certificate.

Does the OP's friend have a provisional teacher's license from the Teacher's Council of Thailand?

• Thanks 1

On 7/27/2019 at 7:22 AM, KhaoYai said:

OK, yes I agree that many are on B visas but as far as I know the income requirement for a B visa is even more - 50K per month.

There is no income requirement for teachers for the non-B visa and extension of stays. I would say the majority of TEFL/government school teachers earn less than this. 

If the OP's school takes care of visas, its easier to be on a non-B visa. No income requirements/requiring to live with your wife, etc. The only benefit, I see, is that if you have more time to change jobs, or take a few months off on an extension based on marriage on the mothtly salary method. I'm on a non-B, but have been in the same school since 2001, and my school takes care of the paperwork. If I was to change schools now, I would probably for the 400K (in the bank) based on marriage route. 

7 hours ago, BritTim said:

Correct. The Non O is granted to visit your wife. You can also get a 60-day extension to visit your wife.

However, a one-year extension of stay on the basis of marriage to a Thai follows different rules. The marriage must be de jure (married according to the law) and de facto (a current marriage with the husband and wife living together).

I am aware that genuine marriages where people must spend most of the time apart exist, but Thai immigration does not accommodate this in their rules.

thanks Brit, so what happens if they stay together like when they come to check or something like that? Do they call you like 2-3 days before the house visit? Also do they want photos like together doing things?

thnx

3 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Yes, there are. 

There's no minimum wage requirement, even 15,000 baht per month would satisfy immigration and labor department. 

The OP made the statement that his friend does not want to apply for a Non-B.  It's possible to convert his current Non-O at the local Immigration, and the Non-O status will continue, and the applicant has to visit the Immigration every 90 days.

Or is he/she employed as a trainer or assistant? I was on a Non-O ME before but then extended my visa at the local Immigration because it was inconvenient to leave every 90 days. 

He/she will need the same documents required for a Non-B, plus the marriage certificate.

Does the OP's friend have a provisional teacher's license from the Teacher's Council of Thailand?

No need license, hes teaching at a university. Marketing & logistics.. Bur he has work permit and all. And his salary just been 40K this month, so he doesnt need to show last year tax papers. 

3 hours ago, DavisH said:

If the OP's school takes care of visas, its easier to be on a non-B visa. No income requirements/requiring to live with your wife, etc. The only benefit, I see, is that if you have more time to change jobs, or take a few months off on an extension based on marriage on the mothtly salary method. I'm on a non-B, but have been in the same school since 2001, and my school takes care of the paperwork. If I was to change schools now, I would probably for the 400K (in the bank) based on marriage route. 

Well, he doesnt want NO-B because hes in 20 countries that needs to go back to their country and get non-b from thai embassy in his country. To go back and do that things.. costs great amount of money.

Thats why hes on non-b plus he doesnt want to do all immigration nightmare. But as i said he told me hes tired and bored of going and coming back to thailand every 90 days, but so far my understanding is, even hes on 1 year non-b he must do 90 days... so i will give him all info

thnx

32 minutes ago, problemfarang said:

thanks Brit, so what happens if they stay together like when they come to check or something like that? Do they call you like 2-3 days before the house visit? Also do they want photos like together doing things?

thnx

They'll want photos of them together in the kitchen, bedroom, outside the house with the house number showing, living room, etc. But again, different immigration offices want different photos, so he should ask them first what they want (or just print many different photos and let them pick the ones they want).

If they are together when they come to visit there shouldn't be any problems. As long as they don't talk with the neighbors and they tell them that his wife doesn't actually stay there.

They should call in advance before they come, but you never know how far in advance. We got a call in the evening and they came early next morning.

7 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Yes, there are. 

Thanks for the clarification, I had always wondered how they met the requirements.

7 hours ago, DavisH said:

There is no income requirement for teachers for the non-B visa and extension of stays. I would say the majority of TEFL/government school teachers earn less than this. 

Yes, I have already raised that issue and been answered - I was not refering to teachers in that post.

I apologise if I have caused any confusion in this thread, I have been replying to issues raised by whitetiger rather than the OP - confused myself.

I think its much better, when someone has their own particular problem/question, that they start a fresh thread on that matter - even though it may be related.