Compensation coming next week, Praewa’s family tells victims

snoop1130

Compensation coming next week, Praewa’s family tells victims

By The Nation

800_8dcfbb8844aa7d1.jpg

The families of nine people killed in the 2010 road accident involving an underage driver widely known by her nickname “Praewa” will finally receive monetary compensation next week, the driver’s mother has been quoted as saying.

TV news presenter Kanchai “Noom” Kamnerdploi on Tuesday quoted Laddawan Devahastin Na Ayudhya as saying the wealthy family’s land in Prachuap Khiri Khan had been sold for the purpose and she would receive the money the next day.

Laddawan, who has been accused of ignoring a court order to pay compensation, said the victims’ families should next week receive cashiers’ cheques representing compensation plus 7.5 per cent annual interest.

Together it amounts to nearly Bt41 million.

Orachon “Praewa” Devahastin Na Ayudhya, then a teenager too young to have a driver’s licence, crashed her borrowed car into the back of a public van operating on the Thammasat University-Victory Monument route in Bangkok on December 27, 2010.

Nine people were killed and six injured. 

Praewa, continuously rebuked in public, has since changed her name.

Some of the survivors complained last week that they still hadn’t received any compensation, even though the Supreme Court on May 8 ruled in a civil case that Praewa, her parents and the owner of the car she was driving had to pay a combined Bt25 million plus interest to the injured and the next of kin of those killed.

Earlier on Tuesday, Justice Minister Somsak Thepsuthin, meeting a Thammasat University legal team aiding the victims, urged Praewa and her family to quickly sell their land and pay the compensation.

If they did not, he warned, the Legal Execution Department would seize the land on August 28 and put it up for auction.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373502

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-23

Looks like a serious threat from the govt motivated the wealthy family to finally sell the land so they could pay compensation....something they could have really done long ago.   The wealthy family probably figured if the govt seizes and auctions the land they would lose a lot...not as much would be paid for the land. 

3 hours ago, otherstuff1957 said:

She married, and them divorced, a member of the NLA. 

I wonder what the sinsot negotiations were like!

25 mil. PLUS unterest...??? 

4 hours ago, legend49 said:

Do we take bets on if it will happen?

Little miss hi-so gets off with a pat on the head even when she refuses to complete her community service.

Make a "bet", and you will be tossed in the deepest of Thailand's dungeons to rot, well, unless you're independently wealthy and connected.  Then you too would get a pat on the head.

14 hours ago, Pib said:

Looks like a serious threat from the govt motivated the wealthy family to finally sell the land so they could pay compensation....something they could have really done long ago.   The wealthy family probably figured if the govt seizes and auctions the land they would lose a lot...not as much would be paid for the land. 

It seems like they were hoping it would all go away if they ignored the court's compensation order. 

That threat of seizure made them act quickly. I seriously doubt anything else may them suddenly do so after 9 years

Can someone explain this country's legal system and its application to me please? 

A foreigner steals a bathrobe - which is wrong - and is handed a one year jail sentence. 
A poor couple - wife being pregnant - work on a coconut farm in Phattalung (if I remember correctly) and steal on the way out, after work, three coconuts - which is wrong. They are thrown in the slammer and would have to cough up Baht 50'000 bail money (if they would have had 1/1000th they might not have stolen the coconut in the first place.

Then along comes little spoilt hiso - underage for driving with then 16 years of age, girl, and kills nine and some other six are injured by slamming a vehicle - after the accident she, cool as she is, messages around on her smart phone. 
She was handed down a suspended jail sentence and some community work apart from some "compensation payments" to the family (and possibly some other beneficiaries). The little brat did not even finish the community work; something the judges might have assumed as she was playing on her phone, never showed any remorse and thinks that she is definitely the next best thing after sliced bread.

If this is true, then this country has more than serious issues - I clue ya!  

It seems that only once threat of property seizure was ordered did these nasty people get off their asses and do what they should have done years ago, assuming they really will deliver the money to their victims. With these type of low-life people, nothing is certain.  

I'm very happy to see that 7.5% interest p.a. was tacked on for their awful behaviour.    

45 minutes ago, Sydebolle said:

Can someone explain this country's legal system and its application to me please? 

Money! 

Buying one's way out of legal trouble is a commodity in places like Thailand, which is not alone by any means. 

On 7/23/2019 at 8:29 PM, otherstuff1957 said:

She married, and them divorced, a member of the NLA. 

I wonder what the sinsot negotiations were like!

with that face she'd have to pay the sinsod to the groom

15 hours ago, Baerboxer said:
On 7/23/2019 at 8:47 PM, Pib said:

It seems like they were hoping it would all go away if they ignored the court's compensation order. 

That threat of seizure made them act quickly. I seriously doubt anything else may them suddenly do so after 9 years

social medial leads to more justice than decades of legal proceedings

17 hours ago, atyclb said:

social medial leads to more justice than decades of legal proceedings

It does seem to be the case that key gov't offices pay close attention to social media and are often quick to act when public opinion demands it. 

I wonder how much attention they pay to this forum. If they're keeping a list of people who have regularly been critical of The Junta plus openly admit to using cannabis and endorsing its legalization, I may be blacklisted by now. ???? 

Archived