Single Entry Tourist Visa - Advice needed

Hi, this is my first post here. I've been in the last 7 months so far 3 times in Thailand, 2 time on VOA, and 3rd time on SETV. I've got my SETV from London in May, before they changed the rules.

My problem is that in my residence country, it's almost impossible to get the visa for me because of the requirements.(eastern europe country)

I am not employed in my country, I have my own online business registered in UK(also not employed, just getting dividends),  and I don't have a resident permit in UK.

So my question is, where would I be able to get the SETV without having to provide a resident permit from that Country, preferable somewhere in Europe, thank you.

Eastern European country, presumably not in the EU, leaves a few possibilities. If we knew your actual nationality, it could help. You may be able to apply in Kuala Lumpur on your way to Thailand.

Edited by BritTim

I am actually from Romania, so I am in EU. I was thinking about Budapest, Hungary since it's very close to me, few hours drive. Anyone has any experience with getting SETV as a foreigner in Budapest without having a resident/work permit?

1 hour ago, YAOsabi said:

I am actually from Romania, so I am in EU. I was thinking about Budapest, Hungary since it's very close to me, few hours drive. Anyone has any experience with getting SETV as a foreigner in Budapest without having a resident/work permit?

Presumably, in Bucharest, your problem is the employment certificate. Have you actually spoken to the embassy to see if they can waive the requirement, or suggest an alternative for someone who is self employed? Surely, there must at least be alternatives for people who are retired. From prior experience, a bank statement showing a large balance may do the trick.

As far as Budapest is concerned, I would doubt they would help you. I suspect they rarely issue visas to foreigners who are not resident in Hungary. They would be suspicious about why someone from a neighbouring country does not apply in home country.

29 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Presumably, in Bucharest, your problem is the employment certificate. Have you actually spoken to the embassy to see if they can waive the requirement, or suggest an alternative for someone who is self employed? Surely, there must at least be alternatives for people who are retired. From prior experience, a bank statement showing a large balance may do the trick.

As far as Budapest is concerned, I would doubt they would help you. I suspect they rarely issue visas to foreigners who are not resident in Hungary. They would be suspicious about why someone from a neighbouring country does not apply in home country.

The problem with the Embassy in Romania is that the same old crazy communist lady works there for the last 20 years. Actually the entire Internet is filled of horror stories about that lady denying visas left and right. Last year a friend of mine who has the same setup as me, applied in Bucharest for SETV after he wired 5k euro in is Romanian bank account for income proof, and the crazy woman denied his visa for motive that his income doesn't come from Romania. So I'm afraid the chances for me to get it from Bucharest are very slim. 

Regarding Budapest, I think I have a reasonable motive as I live next to their border, its like 2 hour drive to Budapest from my city, and on their embassy website it doesn't say anything about proof of residence or employment. Also my flight ticket to Bangkok would be from Budapest as well.

Edited by YAOsabi

So the Thai Embassy in Budapest states they want to see 3 month of bank statements for non Hungarian citizens. It's unclear if in an account in Hungary or any account.

The best idea would be to call them up and ask rather than us speculating.

Instead of going somewhere else in Europe and spending money on trips, a cheaper solution is to arrive in Bangkok with the VOA (which is free of charge until October 31st, potentially even longer since they keep extending the visa fee exemption). That will give you 15 days.

Then travel to Ho Chi Min for example, on a cheap flight, and get an SETV from there and return.

The cost of travelling around Europe to "take your chances" would exceed flight and accomodation costs in a country like Vietnam or Laos. Even with the visa fee for these places.

Alternatively, Phnom Pehn may work with a clean passport, Vientiane if you make an online appointment, Savannakhet, Kuala Lumpur as Tim said (but with a clean passport), Yangon in Myanmar.

I would personally recommend Vientiane (no documentation), or Ho Chi Min.

For Vientiane, from Bangkok, cheaper route is Bangkok to Udon Thani domestic flight, then airport van to Nong Khai, then cross the land border, then take a tuktuk for 1 hour to Vientiane. It's close to the border.

Edited by lkv

19 minutes ago, YAOsabi said:

Just heard back from Budapest Embassy, I won't be able to apply for Visa if I don't have resident permit. I'm thinking of also writing to The Hague Embassy in Netherlands, as I see here it doesn't specify anything about bank statements/permits: http://www.thaiembassy.org/hague/th/services/76467-Tourism,-Medical-Treatment.html

It will cost you less to do a visa run in Asia. Air Asia / Thai Lion Air / Nok Air flights cost 30-50 euro one way, accomodation you can find starting at 20-30 euro per night for 3 star hotels.

If you prefer to pay for flights to Netherlands and spend nights in hotels there, it's your choice, but it will cost you more.

Up to you at the end of the day, what I suggested above are virtually guaranteed visa options.

Edited by lkv