Donmuang airport , NOT refused but......

BestB

Just come back from a short holiday. Don Muang airport empty.

I have Non B , extension of stay, which i have had for over a decade, re entry permit , all correct .

Get to immigration desk, sexy but sour face immigration officer, takes my passport , few mins of whatever she is doing , then asks me how long I Plan to stay?

i am little confused and puzzled , before I get to respond she “remembers” I have non b and re entry permit .

So what does she do? Starts to

go off her dial in Thai why i

did not write visa number on TM 28 form. 

Told her in thai that extension of stay does not have a number but if it did , I can not read it but I did write non b visa in visa section .

Well , no, not good enough , re entry permit has a number so I should have written that.

Without wanting to make any drama I mention that re entry permit is not visa , this is why I did not write it down .

Got entry stamp with no expiration date and passport thrown at me.

Seriously , what is wrong with Thai immigration? They cry about tourists and economy and yet create an elephant out of a mouse and then they do not know why people are not returning or leaving ?

In Indonesia and Malaysia, very easy going immigration , even get a smile here and there, Thai just looking for an excuse to bite your head off.

Do not envy tourists or people with tourist visa at all

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, BestB said:

Got entry stamp with no expiration date and passport thrown at me.

This might be an issue, the IO should have entered the expiration date of the re-entry permit. Perhaps she's punishing you.

If you are feeling masochistic it would be an idea to go to your local immigration to get it corrected.

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

This might be an issue, the IO should have entered the expiration date of the re-entry permit. Perhaps she's punishing you.

If you are feeling masochistic it would be an idea to go to your local immigration to get it corrected.

Will wait for my 90 day report , see what if anything comes of it . 

Its almost surreal to believe they would make an issue out of nothing

1 hour ago, BestB said:

Will wait for my 90 day report , see what if anything comes of it . 

Its almost surreal to believe they would make an issue out of nothing

Sooner sorted the better.

Of course she made an issue out of it, she's a bureaucrat. Being pedantic is how they feel validated in their sad lives.

Just now, tomazbodner said:

"sexy but sour face immigration officer"

Wonder what she thought of you.

And PS: You ALWAYS write Reentry permit number (or Non-Quota Immigrant visa number) in Visa field on arrival card.

Absolutely agree; she no doubt saw what he thought of her & acted out.

10 hours ago, BestB said:

Seriously , what is wrong with Thai immigration? They cry about tourists and economy and yet create an elephant out of a mouse and then they do not know why people are not returning or leaving ?

It's the same phenomena as when sales are down, they increase the prices.

58 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

"sexy but sour face immigration officer"

Wonder what she thought of you.

And PS: You ALWAYS write Reentry permit number (or Non-Quota Immigrant visa number) in Visa field on arrival card.

Who cares what she thought of me? She is there to do a job , nothing more , nothing else.

and if I did not write re entry permit number it only requires either friendly note or even her having to write 5 digits. It certainly does not require someone to go off her dial or even worse you supporting her actions 

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

Who cares what she thought of me? She is there to do a job , nothing more , nothing else.

I reckon she would disagree with you, she is protecting the country, the values, she is "something"! sad init ???? 

24 minutes ago, brommers said:

If you want a really bad time try entering the UK or USA as a non national!

Exactly.  I always thought being a sour-faced, pedantic, miserable bastard was part of the job requirements for Immigration Officers.  It certainly seems to be in the US and UK!

6 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Exactly.  I always thought being a sour-faced, pedantic, miserable bastard was part of the job requirements for Immigration Officers.  It certainly seems to be in the US and UK!

I agree but who would want that job?

They are obviously just sick of dealing with people must be a huge burn out position.

They stay for a steady pay check and benefits otherwise, they hate all of it.

15 hours ago, BestB said:

Well , no, not good enough , re entry permit has a number so I should have written that.

Without wanting to make any drama I mention that re entry permit is not visa , this is why I did not write it down

The re-entry permit, as the name implies, is what you're using to enter Thailand, not the extension of stay or your expired visa. She was right.

All your comments about her being sexy but having a sour expression and throwing your passport down are just irrelevant embellishments on your part to rattle the cages of the Thai bashers.

if you've been here over a decade and can't understand how to use the re-entry permit when returning to Thailand that certainly says something about you, not her.

The same happened to me at Swampy last month. The TM6 was filled except the "Visa Number". I passed her the passport opened with TM30 on the extension of stay page. As I had written that my intention to stay in the country was 1 YEAR, after I inserted my fingerprints and she entered some data in the computer she told me: "Do you know that I can give you only 30 days?"...

I told her: "I have 1 year extension of stay", and she answered me: "Why didn't you write the Visa number?"..."Because I don't know which number I have to enter". She threw my passport and told me to go back in the line and ask to the assistant in the queue... This is the attitude...instead of insert herself the number and finish in 5 seconds, she sent me back and she lost another minute to remake everything (and of course I lost a lot of time more because I went back to the queue....)... the Thai bath is stronger compared to other currency, but the main reason about the decreasing number of people here is the Thai attitude, and if you ask me why I stay, it is because I am long married to a Thai lady and we need to stay to "take care her family", but if things continue to be worst, could be that we will leave.....

3 minutes ago, mdalco said:

instead of insert herself the number and finish in 5 seconds, she sent me back and she lost another minute to remake everything

The TM6 is your declaration, not hers, and it is your responsibility to complete it, not hers to do it for you

11 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

The re-entry permit, as the name implies, is what you're using to enter Thailand, not the extension of stay or your expired visa. She was right.

All your comments about her being sexy but having a sour expression and throwing your passport down are just irrelevant embellishments on your part to rattle the cages of the Thai bashers.

if you've been here over a decade and can't understand how to use the re-entry permit when returning to Thailand that certainly says something about you, not her.

Menstruation, also known as a period or monthly, is the regular discharge of blood and mucosal tissue (known as menses) from the inner lining of the uterus through the vagina Menstruation stops occurring after menopause, which usually occurs between 45 and 55 years of age.

Re airports

This dangerous occurrence makes us men more miserable and victimized  at this time when combined with a sense of importance eg immigration it can end in tears  chin up lad!

8 minutes ago, mdalco said:

The same happened to me at Swampy last month. The TM6 was filled except the "Visa Number". I passed her the passport opened with TM30 on the extension of stay page. As I had written that my intention to stay in the country was 1 YEAR, after I inserted my fingerprints and she entered some data in the computer she told me: "Do you know that I can give you only 30 days?"...

I told her: "I have 1 year extension of stay", and she answered me: "Why didn't you write the Visa number?"..."Because I don't know which number I have to enter". She threw my passport and told me to go back in the line and ask to the assistant in the queue... This is the attitude...instead of insert herself the number and finish in 5 seconds, she sent me back and she lost another minute to remake everything (and of course I lost a lot of time more because I went back to the queue....)... the Thai bath is stronger compared to other currency, but the main reason about the decreasing number of people here is the Thai attitude, and if you ask me why I stay, it is because I am long married to a Thai lady and we need to stay to "take care her family", but if things continue to be worst, could be that we will leave.....

She did you a favor by not giving you a 30 day visa. Count your blessings.

Just now, tomazbodner said:

You do know that visa does not guarantee you entry into the country? That it's up to immigration officer whether they let you in or not? So if she thinks you are not a desired person, she could, whether you have visa or not, reject your entry.

It was a re entry permit, n'est pas?

9 minutes ago, tomazbodner said:

You do know that visa does not guarantee you entry into the country? That it's up to immigration officer whether they let you in or not? So if she thinks you are not a desired person, she could, whether you have visa or not, reject your entry.

You do know an immigration officer, by law, doesn't have the authority to deny you unless you meet one of very specific legally-defined criteria, right? Last I checked "didn't fill up TM6 correctly" was not one of those criteria.

Stop being apologists for Thai immigration - the way they have been treating foreigners, and long-term stayers in particular, is abysmal. Many have already left Thailand because of it, many stopped coming, and many will leave in the future if immigration doesn't stop this nonsense. And then they'll cry when the economy goes to shit, which is already starting to happen.

9 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

You do know an immigration officer, by law, doesn't have the authority to deny you unless you meet one of very specific legally-defined criteria, right? Last I checked "didn't fill up TM6 correctly" was not one of those criteria.

Stop being apologists for Thai immigration - the way they have been treating foreigners, and long-term stayers in particular, is abysmal. Many have already left Thailand because of it, many stopped coming, and many will leave in the future if immigration doesn't stop this nonsense. And then they'll cry when the economy goes to shit, which is already starting to happen.

Sorry, but you are quite wrong. As quoted in post #31 above, the IO at point of entry has wide discretionary powers. This is not exclusive to Thailand either; almost all countries operate a similar system giving the decision whether to admit or refuse an alien to the IO. By all means research the matter to see if I am correct or not.

5 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

orry, but you are quite wrong. As quoted in post #31 above, the IO at point of entry has wide discretionary powers. This is not exclusive to Thailand either; almost all countries operate a similar system giving the decision whether to admit or refuse an alien to the IO. By all means research the matter to see if I am correct or not.

There is no excuse for rudeness or forcing a person  to the end of a queque because they did not know where to place a re-entry permit number.   This type of behavior is arrogant and over the top.  For a country that depends on foreigners for a significant part of their GDP- an IO that treats people like this should at the least be counselled by a supeior and admonished for bad behavior.

An individuakl who has met the requirements of a one year extension which has already been approved should never be denied admission unless there is some serious offense that was just committed in front of the IO or they all of a sudden showed up on a an Interpol Alert

These IOs better wake up- when the numbers of tourists drop significnatly- they won't be needed at the airports- they can be sent to staff the remote Camboian entry points 

13 minutes ago, PerkinsCuthbert said:

the IO at point of entry has wide discretionary powers.

Not true. Read the law. In Thailand they specifically do NOT have discretionary powers unless the foreigner meets one of the specified criteria. That some of them seem to think they do is unfortunate, but not actually legal.

Archived