Expats worries: What's next?

swissie

15 minutes ago, berrec said:

Obvious error in graph, 75,001 - 350,000 should be 175,001 - 350,000

When I retired here a few years ago my UK accountant informed I should be paying tax in Thailand so I believe the legislation is already in place. If there is an anti foreigner drive its not coming from the street but from highest echelons of Thai authorities.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/25/2019 at 6:58 PM, Ron jeremy said:

Unfortunately, Thailand attracts the lowlifes of the world. Take a walk around pattaya, what a shithole, not only the city , but the people living there. But better off in Thailand then living beside me at home. Much rather have them pissing themselves on a barstool in pattaya.

Surely I can u derstand why the Thais have enforced these rules. 

Get rid of the lowlifes! 

A non factual generalization about lowlifes. Simply not true. Just a jaundiced view that belies the reality of the heterogeneous  nature of visitors to Thailand. As with Ibiza or the Costa del Sol a minority of louts and headlines to match do not mirror reality.  Nor do people's comments about Pattaya or lowlifes reflect the true situation. 

On 7/25/2019 at 1:16 PM, simon43 said:

Realistically, nothing will be 'eased' as regards the visa financial requirements.  In fact, the required amounts might increase in the future. That's not being a doomsayer - it's being realistic.

No amount of complaints or pleading by those affected by these rules will make the slightest bit of difference to those who decide the rules or implement them.

Therefore, one needs to 'man up' and find a solution to the problem, if indeed there is a problem for you, such as not having the required funds.

You can go down the agent route of course.  It seems to work right now, but nothing is ever unchanging.  At some point in the future, that option will be removed.

Other options:

1) Top yourself.

2) Return to your home country

3) Move to another country where the visa rules are within your means.

In my case, I do not have sufficient funds for a retirement visa.  I do earn a healthy online income, but that income cannot be 'proven' or documented, because it comes from teaching online for various Chinese companies.

So .... Considering my own options:

1) No thanks.

2) No thanks - I left the UK 18 years ago and currently have no desire to return.

3) Yes, that'll do me ==> relocate to a country where I can fulfill the visa requirements.  So that's what I'm doing right now.

OK, it's easier for me because I'm now single with a very 'portable' job.  If you're married to a Thai or have a family here, then some hard decisions will need to be made.  But sticking your head in the sand or moaning/complaining about how unfair life is not going to result in a solution to this problem.

As Churchill said, the pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Perhaps you have failed to seize the opportunity to save enough funds for a retirement visa from your "healthy online income".

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 8:50 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

It's almost funny when some people here complain that they don't feel welcome in Thailand (anymore) and at the same time some (many) of the same people complain about foreigners in their home country.

I think it's easy to understand that every country, and citizens of that country, like some foreigners and others not so much.

If foreigners (here or i.e. in the UK) work officially and pay taxes few citizens don't like them. But if foreigners work illegally many don't like it. And if foreigners break the rules they also don't like it.

Personally I have no problem in Thailand. I work with work permit, renew my business visa once a year, and my company takes care of the 90 days registration. No problems at all!

It seems foreigners who have no money and no or little income have problems in Thailand. Should we blame Thailand that they are not interested in people who have no money to spend and are maybe a burden to the local hospitals, etc.?

My business pays me, I file taxes, renew extension, report every 90 days, eat cheaply and just enjoy life. I don't understand the problem some moan about. Being able to care for one's self has always been a requirement here. And yes the requirement for Health insurance is coming, but hell it's a 1/3 of the rates I paid in the States. Everyone bitches and moans about costs going up well surprise surprise that's life.

On ‎7‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 5:36 PM, giddyup said:

Where do you live? I was always under the impression that you lived in LOS.

In happier days I did. Everything ends, and the better it is the sooner it ends ( for me- perhaps I'm cursed ) Now I endure in God's waiting room.

Not a day goes by I don't regret that I'm no longer in the happy country.

25 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

In happier days I did. Everything ends, and the better it is the sooner it ends ( for me- perhaps I'm cursed ) Now I endure in God's waiting room.

Not a day goes by I don't regret that I'm no longer in the happy country.

I thought that at least 90% of the posters on TV actually lived in Thailand. Seems I was mistaken.

Wonder what percentage of posters actually do. I'm going to guess maybe only 50% do. The other 50% used to.

Must admit, I also thought you lived here.

PS. I'm approaching the door of God's Waiting Room, but I reckon the Thai room is so much more user friendly.

Perhaps you have failed to seize the opportunity to save enough funds for a retirement visa from your "healthy online income".

Saving funds for a Thai retirement visa was not top of my priority list, because there are alternative countries to live where the visa financial requirements are not as stringent.

Top of my priority list is having enough funds to pay for top-notch private medical insurance.

After that, having funds to legally live in whatever country I reside in.

Since posting previously, I have completed my move to Luang Prabang, Laos (where I previously lived).  My one year business visa and work permit cost me about 15,000 baht each year, no 90 day reporting, no TM30 etc etc.  Life is good ????

As to the OP's original post 'expat worries, what next?', I would suggest compulsory medical insurance for all 'retirement' visas and increase in financial requirements from 800,000 baht to 1 million baht.  Both are coming, mark my words!

Archived