Expats worries: What's next?

swissie

18 hours ago, ivor bigun said:

Nothing to do with not being able to afford it,its MY money why should i tie it up permanantly,its mine if i want to spend it ,up to me.

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Nobody is suggesting that it's not your money. Of course it's your money to do with as you wish.

But it so happens that the Thai authorities have decided that one of their rules states that foreigners must have 800K held in the bank.

It's quite clear. you either agree to do just that, or you don't. At the end of the day, the choice is yours.

It's your money. Decide what you want or have to do. We all know it's your money.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/24/2019 at 2:02 AM, NCC1701A said:

if they want us out, us meaning all non Thais from all over the world, why don't they just cancel the retirement one year extension of stay?

I guess he meant by “us” all expats who have no 800,000/65000 and using agents.

Well, good luck to them, because no one is welcome to Thailand without least financial requirements. 

Next:  Raise ALL visa requirement deposits, tax Pensions, increase reporting to every 30 - 60 days, increase required paper work, make sure ALL immigration office personal function independent of laws and continue to interpret them independently, etc....

It is pretty simple really, Yes they do not want you here but they want your money. Many people here will continue to put up with more and more just to live here, Therefore the thai authorities KNOW they can just charge more, require more and more foreign money in the banks and yeah some will leave but the majority will just suck it up. Therefore they can continue to milk those that stay for more and more while only losing a few making more and more money each time ????

This equates to more money and less foreigners WIN WIN for thai's lol!!

22 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I kept the 800,000 permanently in the bank. Wishing to live permanently in LOS it seemed the logical thing to do.

If not able to afford that, can one actually able to afford to live in LOS? Some spend more than that on booze a year.

I can live quite comfortably on 15,000 a month, including running a pickup, feeding a wife and five dogs, having aircon, internet and worldwide tv, and going out for dinner once a week. Obviously there are some one-off extra expenses, such as car insurance and the cost of an annual visa.

I think it is ridiculous, although the easy way for the authorities, to just conjure up a figure of 400,000 or 800,000 in the bank, or 40,000 or 65,000 a month income. One size does NOT fit all. And I'm sure many Thais cannot match the figures, so why must foreigners?

On 7/24/2019 at 1:43 AM, RichardColeman said:

Personally I think the next step will be that there be a requirement for you to live in a property you own atleast 6 months a year, or it is confiscated by the state.

You must be suggesting all expats would live in condos or  it's be a catch 22 kind of thing.

Since expats cannot "own property" by definition they'd  not be able to  to stay here.

To the op..

if you didn’t read about all the scare mongering stories every day that frankly won’t affect anyone who has the correct legal papers then would you feel better?

As long as your papers and finances are in order then unplug for a while. Don’t read news and take a holiday to the beech.

see how you feel about the purge after a week or two 

to be fair there have been a lot of crooks hiding out here it’s just a matter of ensuring you are legal and sitting tight until the storm blows over..

The next move, which has already started, is not issuing multi-entry 'O' marriage visas which is happening even at main embassies like London and Paris, as well as most embassies and consulates in the region, as they further roll out applying on-line. My understanding is that there is no provision then to apply for multi-entry.

This will lead to many having to leave the country and getting a new visa every 90 days, and that will be the time for me to leave. I am tired of being treated like a criminal on probation, after living here for 25+ years and being married to a Thai for nearly 30.

Immigration, like everyone in Thailand, are brainwashed from birth to believe that Thailand is the best place on Earth so of course everyone wants to live here, no matter what. They have the same attitude about tourists - why wouldn't everyone want to come to Thailand. I'm sure they are totally baffled by the falling numbers.

35 minutes ago, Bundooman said:

Nobody is suggesting that it's not your money. Of course it's your money to do with as you wish.

But it so happens that the Thai authorities have decided that one of their rules states that foreigners must have 800K held in the bank.

It's quite clear. you either agree to do just that, or you don't. At the end of the day, the choice is yours.

It's your money. Decide what you want or have to do. We all know it's your money.

Or use an agent and immigration will graciously overlook those requirements.

11 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I can live quite comfortably on 15,000 a month, including running a pickup, feeding a wife and five dogs, having aircon, internet and worldwide tv, and going out for dinner once a week. Obviously there are some one-off extra expenses, such as car insurance and the cost of an annual visa.

I think it is ridiculous, although the easy way for the authorities, to just conjure up a figure of 400,000 or 800,000 in the bank, or 40,000 or 65,000 a month income. One size does NOT fit all. And I'm sure many Thais cannot match the figures, so why must foreigners?

"so why must foreigners?"

Because it's not the foreigners' country. It belongs to the Thai people.

We're only welcome for short periods of time if we're spending money. Wars have been fought because of hatred for foreigners and their unwanted presence.

Next will probably be a clampdown on farangs owning land via Thai companies with nominee shareholders. Goodbye dream house and garden, hello concrete box 30 floors up in the air.

Yep, “Owning” anything via Nominees is ILLEGAL already.

allready now thai law says that a tax resident in thailand MUST DECLARE AND PAY tax

on all his income worldwide.

a tax resident in thailand is considered anyone who stay in thailand more than 6 months a year,

on whatever visa/ visa exempt.

but there are tax treaties between countries, and if your home country / the country where

you earned your income, has a treaty with thailand, than you will not be charged twice,

so as pensions allready come from taxed income, Thai tax authorities cant tax them again.

if they want us out, us meaning all non Thais from all over the world, why don't they just cancel the retirement one year extension of stay?

or the Elite Visa? and why give tourists up to six months to stay now?  

why do ED visas?

I know this is a incredibly unpopular thing to hear on this forum, but if I didn't check for any changes in retirement extension of stay requirements, I would have no indication that anything has changed at all. I just did my retirement renewal. Nothing has changed. Same extremely short list of docs. 

Nothing has changed in almost 6 years for me.

I guess I am lucky. I feel sorry for everyone who is having so much trouble. I hope you all can work in out.

I agree entirely, but am checking out the TM 30 requirements, which in fact if I or my Wife has to do, is not that onerours.  However, I would disagree with the OP that most do not pay tax in their own Country.  All my pensions are either Military, Civil Service (2) and Government and are taxed at source, so as far as I am aware are untouchable by the Thai Authorities.  Most Countries agree that it is very unfair to pay taxes in two Countries for the same source of income.

6 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

"so why must foreigners?"

Because it's not the foreigners' country. It belongs to the Thai people.

We're only welcome for short periods of time if we're spending money. Wars have been fought because of hatred for foreigners and their unwanted presence.

why must foreigners? from the same reason that your rich country

does not allow thai citizen to enter without visa - because each country has

it's economic considerations and interests to keep.

Yes i decided,i will go the marriage route,now i can spend my own money if i wish

Sent from my SM-A720F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/24/2019 at 12:10 AM, swissie said:

wondering "what's next"?

All members and therefore their comments on this forum must be registered with your passport number so the Thai government knows who you are.      

10 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

why must foreigners? from the same reason that your rich country

does not allow thai citizen to enter without visa - because each country has

it's economic considerations and interests to keep.

That's because the UK like other Western democracies has a welfare system that is easy to take advantage of. Thailand has no such welfare system. 

However many of us used to think that the Thais were unfairly discriminated against. However a Thai woman I know recently dumped her English husband with whom she'd had two daughters and has been given government accommodation along with all the associated benefits. At the tax payers' expense.

When a system is open to abuse people no matter where they come from will abuse it.

But when it comes to immigration Thailand has got it right. We've got it wrong and the situation in the UK is now a complete shambles. That's the main reason why our £ is now a pathetic 38 baht.

56 minutes ago, theonetrueaussie said:

It is pretty simple really, Yes they do not want you here but they want your money. Many people here will continue to put up with more and more just to live here, Therefore the thai authorities KNOW they can just charge more, require more and more foreign money in the banks and yeah some will leave but the majority will just suck it up. Therefore they can continue to milk those that stay for more and more while only losing a few making more and more money each time ????

This equates to more money and less foreigners WIN WIN for thai's lol!!

Hmm, how us having more money in bank equates of spending more? I could have 5mil in the banks but spend only 15k per month. They may require bigger deposits and pensions, but so far they can't control how much money is spent by farangs, unless they start to restrict outflows as well, so you are left with little choice except spending. I wonder if the Vietnam proponents actually know that you can't wire foreign money out of Vietnam...last time I tried it there I went to at least 4-5 different banks, all refused to transfer out $100 USD to a different country. Western Union is there only for receiving, not sending..

1 hour ago, Isaanbiker said:

Alot of small men with very little talent or knowledge. 

Very little, or absolutely no knowledge? 

Well, certainly not enough knowledge to run a nation. Unless you call running a country into the ground, running a nation. The Thai army is as hapless as they come. They are a scourge on the land. 

If anyone really thinks being an immigrant in Thailand is difficult they should try the same in Britain where the Home Office (Interior Ministry) will lose your papers, put you in prison and on the first flight out - and you can only appeal the decision from outside the country. And this is not mentioning the multiple other hurdles faced by immigrants.

2 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

If anyone really thinks being an immigrant in Thailand is difficult

Oddly enough you're NOT an immigrant. Didn't you realise the name of your visa is "Non-Immigrant O" etc. I know most people here cite it as "Non-O", maybe that's where the confusion arises?

On 7/24/2019 at 12:01 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

I kept the 800,000 permanently in the bank. Wishing to live permanently in LOS it seemed the logical thing to do.

If not able to afford that, can one actually able to afford to live in LOS? Some spend more than that on booze a year.

And some don't have any vices and live happily and modestly on a fraction of that. So what? What's your point?

5 minutes ago, George Aylesham said:

If anyone really thinks being an immigrant in Thailand is difficult they should try the same in Britain where the Home Office (Interior Ministry) will lose your papers, put you in prison and on the first flight out - and you can only appeal the decision from outside the country. And this is not mentioning the multiple other hurdles faced by immigrants.

But we know before we enter the LOS that it rarely if ever accepts immigrants.

We are no more than paying guests who know full well that when we can't pay our way or don't abide by their regulations we're out the door.

It`s so simple If you don`t feel welcome anymore, OR if you don`t follow the requirements to stay in Thailand go somewhere else to life the freedom you have here.

Thailand is not a prison and you have all-day the possibility to leave.

The money in the bank,the TM30, Visa rules etc. are requirements to stay here follow this.

Be Happy or go.  

22008251_1632835383428172_4619254076917217177_n.jpg

or the Elite Visa? and why give tourists up to six months to stay now?  

why do ED visas?

I know this is a incredibly unpopular thing to hear on this forum, but if I didn't check for any changes in retirement extension of stay requirements, I would have no indication that anything has changed at all. I just did my retirement renewal. Nothing has changed. Same extremely short list of docs. 

Nothing has changed in almost 6 years for me.

I guess I am lucky. I feel sorry for everyone who is having so much trouble. I hope you all can work in out.

Exactly !! This year, this month and all the weeks that have gone before are just like today except for the exchange rate.

There is plenty of time to get bent out of shape when or if the Axe is starting to fall... Otherwise just another day in the land of smiles and big feet..

1 hour ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Your 15,000 a month puts paid to the myth of every expat bringing millions into Thailand.

.What people forget, or conveniently overlook,  with the financial changes for extension of stay is that only one demographic is being targeted, that being retirees. Married people have seen no changes.

Retirees are overwhelmingly single males. Even the most naïve person would have trouble accepting that they are here for the temples and street food only.

Does anyone really think it is good public policy to attract single, ageing retired males to their country?

Lets face it 90% are here for the sex they could not get back home. A whole sex industry relies on them (and others of course....including me from time to time).

Perhaps the Government has decided to slowly reverse this poorly thought out policy.

I know I will get shot down for my comments but why is it so hard to see, and talk about, the elephant in the room for some people?

I would expect other SEA countries to follow suit over time.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

All members and therefore their comments on this forum must be registered with your passport number so the Thai government knows who you are.      

LoL, do you remember years ago when you had to enter your passport or ID card number in order to use an internet cafe?

On 7/24/2019 at 3:45 AM, Mikisteel said:

Developing the TM30 so every bar wishing to serve aliens must have a scanner to scan the passport and report the customer prior to serving alcohol. 

Call it a TM-aria

Not a problem for me, I only go to Viet and Khmer bars these days, beer at 50c a glass or I don't want it.

Archived