Thailand Elite Visa and immigration

Until now, the cost of the elite visa seemed a bit too much for what you got.  Now that TI seems to be putting up more hoops to jump through, I'm thinking again.  With the 5-year Easy Access elite visa, would the elite visa folks really do all the TM30 stuff if you traveled a lot?

• Like 2

As far as I know, Elite visa holders have to do the TM30 just like anyone else, no VIP treatment there, and they don’t receive any assistance from the Elite visa team in completing the TM30. According to their website, they will do a 90 day report for you if you live in Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Phuket, but not the TM30.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

35 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

As far as I know, Elite visa holders have to do the TM30 just like anyone else, no VIP treatment there, and they don’t receive any assistance from the Elite visa team in completing the TM30. According to their website, they will do a 90 day report for you if you live in Pattaya, Bangkok, Chiang Mai or Phuket, but not the TM30.

As it is essentially an unlimted entry visa, surely they would not require you to report you address on each arrival?

If it was in the rules, im sure they would not enforce it.

Imagine the uproar if folks paid that sort of money and immigration wanted to fine them 800 for not reporting.

lol

• Like 1

I’m certainly not the expert here, but as far as TM30 goes, I don’t think it’s different from any other kind of visa, the fact that it’s unlimited entries isn’t relevant. As with other visas, at least at the present time, you’re unlikely to experience any problems from not doing a TM30 as long as you don’t have any contact with Immigration except for arrival and departure from Thailand, ie stay for less than 90 days at a time. 

An 800 baht fine wouldn’t concern me of course, negligible amount, but I really would like to keep a squeaky clean record with Immigration.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If I’m viewing it from the correct perspective, TM30 is unrelated to the visa you enter Thailand on. As a non Thai (not on PR) you are required to comply with TM30 requirements. 

That said, as things stand, whether or not you have filled out a TM30 is only an issue (currently) if you are handing your ‘immigration status’ at an immigration office, I.e. handing an extensions or renewal. 

For those ‘coming and going’ whether or not you have submitted your TM30 is not monitored. 

Thus: Holding a Visa through Thai Elite makes no difference if you are departing Thailand regularly. However, if you plan on staying all year, then going though the process of a yearly extension at an immigration office its possible you may get tripped up if you haven’t submitted a TM30.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

May I ask you guys? What is the difference really between the 90 day reporting of you living address and this TM28/TM30 reporting?? In my eyes it is seemingly the very same thing but with different wording... Or do I miss something here, more than details that is...???

glegolo

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, glegolo said:

May I ask you guys? What is the difference really between the 90 day reporting of you living address and this TM28/TM30 reporting??

I don't think 9-day report requires lease document or other document that provides proof of your address and who owns it. I have done only one 90-day report in my entire life and don't remember giving them any document except my passport. Of course, my TM30 was in proper order. 

47 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

I don't think 9-day report requires lease document or other document that provides proof of your address and who owns it. I have done only one 90-day report in my entire life and don't remember giving them any document except my passport. Of course, my TM30 was in proper order. 

Maybe both true and false. In my immigration in Chaiyaphum and that goes for Khon Kaen as well 2 years back before we got our own office here, they demanded me to show proof of address. I.e. tabien baan, ID-card, driving-license and that sort... But of course this differs from office to office...

glegolo

4 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

If they take care of the 90 day report, and of course the Elite is a multi-entry, a person on an Elita has no need to attend immigration, and be quizzed wrt a TM30. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, pookondee said:

Imagine the uproar if folks paid that sort of money and immigration wanted to fine them 800 for not reporting.

At many immigration offices, I doubt they will accept the 90-day reports if the TM30 has not been done. The fine may well be up to 2,000 baht, dependant on the office. I would not expect an uproar just over the fine, only if it becomes nearly impossible to satisfy the TM30 requirement (such as if immigration demands the presence of a landlord who is abroad).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

I have the Elite visa and could use the 90 days reporting site last time, so that's not too much of a hassle. Of course you'd also still need to report once a year at immigration if you don't leave the country at least once in a 1-year period. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, glegolo said:

May I ask you guys? What is the difference really between the 90 day reporting of you living address and this TM28/TM30 reporting?? In my eyes it is seemingly the very same thing but with different wording... Or do I miss something here, more than details that is...???

glegolo

I believe if you don't move between places and leave the country, you do the TM30 report only once. So if you stay with your Thai wife in a home in Chon Buri, never go to some hotel, etc… you only do the TM30 report once.

I guess the 90-day reporting could help Thai officials determine if someone is still living in Thailand, not somehow disappeared (killed or otherwise) in a 3 month period.

I am a 5 year Thailand Elite member, oil and gas worker who exits and re-enters every 4 weeks - my Thai Landlord asked me to let them know each time and they do the TM30 as they are supposed to. They said it was the law to report my arrival within 24 hours, so I just snap a photo of my entry stamp, passport page, TE Visa, and TM6 and send to them each time. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, pookondee said:

As it is essentially an unlimted entry visa, surely they would not require you to report you address on each arrival?

lol

Thats me ???? . Fined on my first 90 day report with that visa half year ago. Since then I always do it online if stay 90 days here. 

Edited by Drax
  • Thanks 1

TM30 is useful in case you need to do any documents at the immigration or if your condo gets raided by the immigration. I have the elite visa and I couldn't do the TM30 yet, I have not received my password on the online portal. As long as I don't need anything from the immigration and as long as I get lucky regarding raids I'm fine.

For the 90 days report I'm unsure if I will be able to do it or not without the TM30, we will see in due time.

And by the way, the elite visa is elite just by name. You are just a normal dude with no privileges at all. Actually you even get less than non O holders, the driving license issued is just for 2 years for example. It's more difficult to open bank accounts but you still can if you visit many different branches one will open you an account. You are legally a tourist, so even after 20 years you won't be able to apply for citizenship with the elite visa. With this visa you are not able to work neither. The visa has to be cancelled to get a work permit.

Elite visa is good for digital nomads and full time tourists only, you can come and go as much as you want, no questions asked. But it's not a visa to live in Thailand full time, even if you could, it's not the primary purpose.

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

That I can believe, terrible deal.

13 hours ago, pookondee said:

lol

Nothing will surprise you in Thailand.

lol 

2 hours ago, cocopops said:

I have an Elite visa and immigration have fined me 1600THB twice for TM30 in the last few years.

no need to imagine.

3 hours ago, wolf81 said:

I have the Elite visa and could use the 90 days reporting site last time, so that's not too much of a hassle. Of course you'd also still need to report once a year at immigration if you don't leave the country at least once in a 1-year period. 

With the retirement visa having to have 800,000 baht effectively tied up in a thai bank, earning no interest, most of the year, an elite visa seems quite attractive, 500,000 baht payment, but no money needing to sit in a thai bank all year, and a 5 year multiple entry visa.

Edited by Lucky100

lol

You’re only being granted the right to stay for 5 years. All other check ins and reporting still applies. If you’re in Bangkok they will check in for you every 90 days.

Calling it the “Elite” is a poor choice. It’s hardly elite at all. It’s just an expensive 5, 10, or 20 year visa.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, simon43 said:

I have an Elite visa.  My new landlord refused to provide the necessary documents (ID, tabian bahn etc) to my local IO.  They wanted to fine me 800 baht for this indiscretion.  I refused to pay.  They dropped their demand.....

Recently, I've been travelling to/from Laos every weekend, because I'm moving to live there.  I should report to my IO each Monday on my return.  I refuse to do it.

This is one person who refuses to dance to their stupid tune.  I'm taking my money (small that it is!) to another country, which doesn't impose such ridiculous rules on foreigners.

Yes, quite a few farang in our neck of the woods refused to pay the TM30 fine when the local IO raised the issue 6 months or so back. The IO dropped the 'requirement' and haven't raised it since.