Eight provinces on brink of water crisis, as there is still no sign of rain

webfact

Eight provinces on brink of water crisis, as there is still no sign of rain

By The Nation

800_4101bc12aec10e1.jpeg?v=1563890513

The lack of rain has brought eight provinces to the brink of a water crisis

Five districts in Nakhon Ratchasima – namely Phimai, Chum Phuang, Non Daeng, Non Sung and Prathai – have been suffering drought for nearly three months now, with up to 20,000 rai (3,200 hectares) of paddy fields left parched for water. The locals are also struggling to find water to survive as their taps have dried up.

All reservoirs in the province are almost empty, especially Phimai dam, and if there isn’t any rain in the next week, all crops will die. This is believed to be the worst drought in 50 years.

Khon Kaen province, meanwhile, is urgently pumping water into 1,000 rai of drought-hit fields.

Khon Kaen governor Somsak Chungtragoon said he is working with related agencies to follow up on the installation of pumps to push water from a local water basin to monkey cheeks nearby, so water can be pumped to irrigate crops in neighbouring areas.

Local villager Chantima Pamai said initially she thought her crops would wither away, but hopes for saving them has been renewed now that the governor is trying to provide irrigation.

Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha, meanwhile, has allocated Bt1 billion to finance the expansion of local water bodies in drought-hit provinces.

Separately, farmers from Phichit are calling on the Kamphaeng Phet irrigation office to pump water from Ping River to 30,000 rai of their paddy fields which are slowly dying because the local rubber weir has been damaged and cannot store enough water.

Drought in the province of Phichit has become severe, especially in areas upstream of the Yom River, because the Sam Ngam rubber weir was damaged five years ago, reducing its ability to store enough water.

Village headman Chatchai Sukked, who represents 200 farmers from three districts of Phichit, visited the Kamphaeng Phet irrigation office asking for floodgates to be opened so water can flow into their dry paddy fields.

However, Prasert Lumpakorn, chief of the engineering team in Wangbua water-management project, said it will take seven to 10 days to deliver water to farmers because a local canal is still being constructed and pumps need to be installed.

Meanwhile, irrigation authorities in Chiang Mai province said 3.9 million cubic metres of water will be reserved to ensure taps do not dry up.

The lack of rain has left as many as 17 major dams in the country almost empty.

S__217456642.jpg

In Lop Buri, the Pa Sak Jolasid Dam reservoir has dropped dangerously low, to only 4 per cent of capacity – even lower than it was four years ago when the central province withered in the grip of severe drought.

In Nan in the North, millions of worms have infested 47,000 acres of cornfields spanning all 15 districts, more than half the province’s land devoted to corn.

In Nong Khai in the Northeast, the Mekong River is running too low to catch any fish. The level is more than 10 metres below the top of the bank on the Thai side.

Residents are instead earning a living in construction or small business.

The news was only good in Ubon Ratchathani, also in the Northeast, where a significant amount of rain fell on Tuesday, credited to cloud-seeding operations.

A Muang Ubon farmer said his rice had narrowly escaped devastation in what he called the most severe drought he’d ever seen.

The Kwang Noi Dam in Phitsanulok currently holds 134 million millimetres of water – 14 per cent of its capacity. One of four major dams designated for dispensing water for public consumption, it is able to release just 10 per cent of what it normally shares.

Warawut Niumnoi, director of water distribution and maintenance at the dam, said only 91 million millimetres of water was available to distribute.

There is currently no inflow at all, he said, and what is being released into the Chao Phraya plain can only be let go at 25 cubic metres per second.

Phitsanulok Governor Piphat Eakphapun has directed agencies to closely monitor the drought situation, prepare remedial plans for farmers, especially those growing rice and corn, determine the need for artificial rainmaking, and coordinate with the Department of Groundwater Resources on further plans.

The Army has established a centre to monitor the situation in real-time so that water can be provided to the drought victims efficiently.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373506

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-24

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The Kwang Noi Dam in Phitsanulok currently holds 134 million millimetres of water – 14 per cent of its capacity.

The Kwang Noi Dam is only a few miles upstream from our house. The sky has been cloudy for the last week or so with only the occasional drip from the sky. We heard a bunch of airplanes the other day, so maybe it came from their attempts to bring rain. Or it could have been a big bird. Regardless, our swimming hole is quickly disappearing. At least it gives me a chance to clear out the trash left behind from years ago.

tire swings.JPG

29 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

We had another bucket load and heaps of wind no power for 12 hours which a bit long even for us.

Dont you love it some rain and the power goes off. We had rain in CNX at 1700 by 1900 dry again then at 2000 no power for 90 minutes. As usual Thai partner has to phone PEA to fix, they had no idea the village had no power.

Going back a few years a week in Singas; it rains basically every day there; sometimes minor flooding but the power never fails.

30 minutes ago, time2093 said:

I'm sure there will be pleenty of water available for next years Songkron festivities, but not to live

A bit early for this refrain isn't it? Traditionally we start to complain about people using water at Songkran in early to mid march. It's a bit like the letters in The Times commenting on the first choice cuckoo's of spring ...

43 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

We had another bucket load and heaps of wind no power for 12 hours which a bit long even for us.

I know - being an economically minded chap at the moment bI used my motorcycle to go to school yesterday (23 km away). That was a mistake!

30% ?, "in crisis"?.  The onset of the next monsoon season is nigh - a bit late this year - But it will happen!

Dams are built for 2 reasons:  To catch and store water for use in dry seasons and to mitigate flooding in wet seasons to reduce damage.

This morning's news:  They have increased outflow to "save" the rice crop on the Central Plains.  Should've started weeks ago and that "30%" should be sitting at 10% by now.

Wait for next months news about the widespread flooding - just like last year - and the year before - - - -

18 minutes ago, JAG said:

A bit early for this refrain isn't it? Traditionally we start to complain about people using water at Songkran in early to mid march. It's a bit like the letters in The Times commenting on the first choice cuckoo's of spring ...

In reality hardly any water used at all. Just that it is visible.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

In Nong Khai in the Northeast, the Mekong River is running too low to catch any fish. The level is more than 10 metres below the top of the bank on the Thai side.

Well we all know who to thank for this one, and unfortunately the Chinese will not care one little bit.

I really like how the Philippines is getting ready for this.  an El Nino in the near term.  not just a story I read a few months ago about the Japanese donating thousands of solar powered water pumps to Filipino farmers for a possible El Nino in 2020.  because when this "drought" is combined with higher ambient temps, that might mean grid problems too? when combined with heat of an El Nino and 2019 is not an El Nino.  and not "just" in backward places like.... the West Side of New York City last week???????  but in other places too?  just maybe.

"MVP" as he is known, Manuel V. Pangilinan, confirms today that Meralco, which is not a state enterprise but a regulated private electric power provider, is going to expand their successful "microgrid" system that they already did and worked out great on some island called "Cagbalete".  reminds me of Japan where they have to be resilient, not just talk about it and next thing we knew, in the USA many decades ago, "they" (the Japanese) were way ahead of us in small, economical and long lasting automobiles.  microgrids.  I like that.  right there, in the heart of the AEC (also called "ASEAN").

37 minutes ago, SmartyMarty said:

anything that gets Thai farmers out of growing rice and into more profitable crops that takes more people out of poverty can only be a good thing.

And which more profitable crops do you recommend?

It is also necessary that the arable land be compatible with these other more profitable crops.
Here in  Sakon Nakhon Province the soil is mostly sand mixed with some clay.

What profitable crops can grow in sand?

1 hour ago, SmartyMarty said:

anything that gets Thai farmers out of growing rice and into more profitable crops that takes more people out of poverty can only be a good thing.

It's a hard road that one...  I've tried on a number of occasions. The answer I get is..  'Thai people not do'.

I've tried to get them to compost...  lol. They've been brainwashed by the fert company reps.

Then someone decides to grow coffee, only problem is they were sold Arabica which won't do bugger all in Isaan. They should have bought Robusta..   but you can't tell them.

1 hour ago, drgoon said:

It's a hard road that one...  I've tried on a number of occasions. The answer I get is..  'Thai people not do'.

I've tried to get them to compost...  lol. They've been brainwashed by the fert company reps.

Then someone decides to grow coffee, only problem is they were sold Arabica which won't do bugger all in Isaan. They should have bought Robusta..   but you can't tell them.

All around me are mountains of coconut husks and shells, hundreds and hundreds of tonnes. in big piles.  I look at then, frustrated and think of the composting and soil enrichment value, particularly after being shredded and combined into the soil.  I often discuss this with my Thai wife who grew up on a farm but she simply cannot see the benefit in this.  Same as gutters on roofs and tanks to store rainwater

Hopeless - - - -

2 hours ago, Assurancetourix said:

And which more profitable crops do you recommend?

It is also necessary that the arable land be compatible with these other more profitable crops.
Here in  Sakon Nakhon Province the soil is mostly sand mixed with some clay.

What profitable crops can grow in sand?

You might be surprised.  In the middle East - mostly barren sandy desert, many beautiful and useful things grow with that magic ingredient - water.  Thailand is in a tropical monsoonal belt and gets plenty of water.  They just need to know how to manage that.

If only Thais stopped thinking that the Thai way is the only way and look to others to see how things could be done better - - - -

They better start thinking how to move away from water intensive rice crops until the drought is over, otherwise what may be coming down the road is a real disaster when average citizen in drought stricken areas literally have no water flowing out of their taps at home

Btw. If the government really wanted to help farmers earn a living, they'd fast-track marijuana cultivation.  You don't need to flood fields to raise hemp and medical grade cannabis and the revenue will put village farmers into a solid middle class existence.  But that's thinking outside the box - Apologies, so sorry!  :wai:

27 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

Thailand is in a tropical monsoonal belt and gets plenty of water.  They just need to know how to manage that.

Years and years and years of feast or famine; floods or dry reservoirs.  Planning and forward thinking are definitely not traits of the "live for today" Thai culture.  They really need outside expertise to design and construct water management solutions - but they never will.  Thai good, Thai smart; foreigner bad, foreigner stupid.  No problem.  Maybe after a real disaster they may be softened up enough to consider accepting assistance from Dutch water management firms.

4 hours ago, legend49 said:

As usual Thai partner has to phone PEA to fix, they had no idea the village had no power.

We have to do the same. It seems they have no system showing where power is out. Usually it's caused by trees falling and bringing the wires down. Once we've told them there is no electricity they do stir themselves quite well and the problem is usually fixed quite quickly. Even, once, at 3 in the morning. That was impressive.

3 minutes ago, connda said:

Maybe after a real disaster they may be softened up enough to consider accepting assistance from Dutch water management firms.

I remember they brought some Dutch experts in a decade or more ago. The Dutch gave their report and suggestions, which were completely ignored as it wasn't the Thai way. Waste of time. It's their country, let them suffer. You can't fix ignorance.

5 hours ago, Eligius said:

'Still no sign of rain'. This must be fake news - as we were told yesterday that the Royal Thai Airforce was handling the matter, using Thailand's world-famous, unequalled cloud-seeding methodology.

So don't worry, boys: rain will fall in abundance any minute now!

Just checked the radar and you could be right as it looks like there's more moving this way,thanks for the heads up I'll go shut the windows.

4 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Hemp?

Why not ?

But it will happen what has happened with sugar cane, hevea and many other crops.
When it works and it pays big for a few hundred producers, ten thousand others want to do the same thing and of course prices collapse.

When I was a teenager, more than fifty years ago , I went more than once to harvest potatoes on Jersey Island;
sometimes we did not go to the fields because the price of the potato was too low; the owner was waiting for this course to go up before sending us there again.

33 minutes ago, connda said:

They better start thinking how to move away from water intensive rice crops until the drought is over, otherwise what may be coming down the road is a real disaster when average citizen in drought stricken areas literally have no water flowing out of their taps at home

Btw. If the government really wanted to help farmers earn a living, they'd fast-track marijuana cultivation.  You don't need to flood fields to raise hemp and medical grade cannabis and the revenue will put village farmers into a solid middle class existence.  But that's thinking outside the box - Apologies, so sorry!  :wai:

The trouble with hemp is - everybody immediately thinks "dope".  Hemp fibre is one of the best natural fibres in the world!.  There are plenty of strains that have no THC in the plant and, as a drier-season alternative it is very profitable. Trouble is - it's all too hard for the gummint here.

34 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

Hemp?

I asked elsewhere already but maybe somebody could shed some light on the per hectare usage of water around the year of weed fields compared to rice. As in total water consumption per year per hectare. I'm having my doubts it's the silver bullet, as much as I'd like to have fields of weed.

Burning season should be fun too.

Archived