Eight provinces on brink of water crisis, as there is still no sign of rain

webfact

30 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

I asked elsewhere already but maybe somebody could shed some light on the per hectare usage of water around the year of weed fields compared to rice. As in total water consumption per year per hectare. I'm having my doubts it's the silver bullet, as much as I'd like to have fields of weed.

Burning season should be fun too.

According to info in the link provided 3-6 mL of irrigation water per hectare.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/232823/industrial-hemp-a-new-crop-for-nsw.pdf.pdf

Not sure about rice and it's varieties.

9 minutes ago, FarFlungFalang said:

According to info in the link provided 3-6 mL of irrigation water per hectare.

https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0020/232823/industrial-hemp-a-new-crop-for-nsw.pdf.pdf

Not sure about rice and it's varieties.

Thanks, just before that info there's also:

Until germination has occurred (usually 3–5 days after sowing), irrigation is recommended to keep the surface soil moist. Industrial hemp is sensitive to drought conditions and needs an adequate supply of water

So no silver bullet, not drought resistant. Still no idea if it's better than rice when taking into account how many crops per year etc. Really would like to know. My MIL has a rice farm and decided not to do anything this year because of the lack of water. I can see in my daydreams a field of weed ????‍????

23 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Thanks, just before that info there's also:

So no silver bullet, not drought resistant. Still no idea if it's better than rice when taking into account how many crops per year etc. Really would like to know. My MIL has a rice farm and decided not to do anything this year because of the lack of water. I can see in my daydreams a field of weed ????‍????

"I have a dream" now where have I heard that before?????????I also have a plan! I would set up a drip irrigation system which could be hooked up to a water cart (copy water cart.God I would love a dollar for every time I heard that over the radio in my Pilbara days also copy survey,that's me!)or a cheap second hand smallish tank to pull around with the tractor,at least to provide moisture to get them big enough so the root system is mature enough to fend for themselves.Adding liquid fertiliser into the tank as they like lots of nitrogen(urine and chook shit and fresh cows shit mixed into water works great then dilute it into the irrigation system for delivery) then sit back mull up and punch a few cones and watch it grow as it is the fastest growing plant on the planet,I've seen it grow six inches in a day!

Understand the need to be in reactive mode right now.  When will the government undertake to put in place a comprehensive water management plan?  There are so many issues that if they don’t focus on a few and dedicate themselves to seeing them done, nothing will get better.  The government just lurches from issue to issue making proclamations and doing nothing.  If they put as much effort into planning and implementing a water management plan as the do leaning on immigration they would be further ahead than they are now.

Dont only blame the Chinese. They build their dams which only influence 11% of the rivers run off. Lets look closer at Laos and the dams being build there to generate electricity for Thailand. Then lets look at who use the electricity in Thailand, Siam Paragon mall use more electricity than Mae Hongson province with 250 k inhabitants.

Well we all know who to thank for this one, and unfortunately the Chinese will not care one little bit.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I said in another thread that it always rains after I wash my car. 

The day after I posted that I washed my car ( yesterday )

Today I went out in the car. When I was at my furthest point from home it started to rain and continued until I got home in a half dirty again car.

Be advised, if experiencing a water shortage I am taking bookings.

2 hours ago, connda said:

They better start thinking how to move away from water intensive rice crops until the drought is over, otherwise what may be coming down the road is a real disaster when average citizen in drought stricken areas literally have no water flowing out of their taps at home

Btw. If the government really wanted to help farmers earn a living, they'd fast-track marijuana cultivation.  You don't need to flood fields to raise hemp and medical grade cannabis and the revenue will put village farmers into a solid middle class existence.  But that's thinking outside the box - Apologies, so sorry!  :wai:

They don't want the plebs and peasants to become wealthy! Just imagine the ramifications of that. 

They want them to be useful idiots

Proactive approach and maintenance can't be found in any Thai dictionary I assume.

"Drought in the province of Phichit has become severe, especially in areas upstream of the Yom River, because the Sam Ngam rubber weir was damaged five years ago, reducing its ability to store enough water."

"However, Prasert Lumpakorn, chief of the engineering team in Wangbua water-management project, said it will take seven to 10 days to deliver water to farmers because a local canal is still being constructed and pumps need to be installed"

12 hours ago, webfact said:

was damaged five years ago, reducing its ability to store enough water.

... and nobody thought it'd be a good idea to repair it? Just in case like... 

2 minutes ago, fullcave said:

It's pissing down in Hua Hin. Stated to flood the main road after only about 5 minutes. How the high speed train coming along. I hope it's elevated! 

If it's not, they could kill two birds with one stone: high speed submarines.

Reading all this makes me happy that my belongings are small / flexible and I live in the center. I never had electricity or water issues in CM centre, only once in a while a power cut for max. 2 hours.

Once I thought the air to breathe would be better (not talking about smoky season) in the outskirts, but there the neighbors are burning more trash, so here I have the black smoke red truck pollution, no difference.

As much as I prefer living outside the center, it just seems to come with many infrastructure problems in a developing country.

Honestly why all this fuss, you guys are expats, if there is really no water one day, just leave for some time and sit it out. Plenty of travel choices everywhere.

No matter how much air pollution we had this year, no matter if there is water or not, Thai Baht will be the strongest currency of the world. Makes sense...
Most important for the ruling elite therefore priority #1

On 7/24/2019 at 6:48 PM, SteveK said:

It's been raining for almost 2 days straight out here in Isaan.

WE had 3 days. BUT it was just drizzle. Today when i drove past the rice paddies most have no standing water. They will be dry again in a few days. 

Archived