BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

webfact

Tourism in northern Thailand decimated: Worst in ten years say hoteliers

I've lived in Bangkok for more than 10 years.  If things are that bad in Chiang Mai and they start having cheap offers I might consider going to see the place, although I've never really understood the appeal from what I've heard about it.  Sounds a bit too quiet for my tastes. 

14 hours ago, Mikisteel said:

Vietnam for the family holiday this year. Suggestions welcome. Family friendly.

Absolutely...CU there for sure....

13 hours ago, darksidedog said:

With 9 rooms at 900 each making 8,100, the person who thought 8,888 was a good promotion is as bad at maths as TAT.

Which brings us to an interesting point. TAT are saying tourism is either slightly up, or only fractionally down, while hotels and other tourism businesses are saying 30-40% down across the country. I know who I believe.

As 8 is a lucky number in China you understand the logic.  

Don't worry, I'll soon will do my 4 months worth of bookings.

Pity that I'll cancel again once I got the visa 😎

Exparts should be rejoicing over a drop in tourism. Supply and demand is starting to work in our favor and as well, being more handsome. 

19 hours ago, webfact said:

they have come up with a "Green Card"

Next  month will  be  the "blue  card"  then  the  "yellow" then "green  with  pink spots  super bonus friend of  Thailand  good  guy spend and get  out  card"

Wow tourism down! Wouldn't have anything to do with an overly strong baht, insane immigration rules, ridiculous immigration queues with half the kiosks closed at peak times, or catering to primarily Indian and Chinese clientele that don't spend any money would it? Bravo TAT!

20 hours ago, ThreeEyedRaven said:

I have friends who normally come to Thailand once or twice a year, quite a few of whom are not coming this year. The strength of the baht is the number one reason, while comments about the Chinese in their hotels, and especially about the way they behave where there is a buffet breakfast also ranks up there. Thailand put its eggs in the Chinese basket, despite as was proved in Sihanoukville, that when the Chinese arrive in numbers, everyone else leaves and don't come back. There is no easy solution to getting tourists back, and I suspect things are going to get a whole lot worse, before they (if ever), start to improve.

Those who rely on the tourism market for their livelihoods, must also take a big chunk of the blame, for very poor behaviour across the board.

Been to Bali and the Chinese go there as well and are booked into the smaller hotels en mass. Loud and raucous is an apt description. Also been to China and at the breakfast buffet they steal loads of cooked sweet potatoes and hard boiled eggs. It's a sight to see.

9 hours ago, Phuketlover said:

It is over for Thailand. I will go to Cambodia , Laos , Birma and Vietnam!

Enjoy your trip. See you when you get back.

13 hours ago, Mansell said:

Decimated actually means one tenth......according to these figures it is more like 20 to 40 percent.

Good man, Nigel! A man after my own heart.

When you're using words, try and use the right ones.

12 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Who would you suggest fix it?  

Call me an old traditionalist, but the ones who get paid to enforce the law are the usual ones.

They scam too much for a discount card to be effective. This is what they get, karma. 

The green card could give special discounts for Feb till May. Then those farangs here who constantly tell me "i do not feel anything" pollution-wise can get great deals.

For the tourism, if it drops, no worries, they will just further rise prices. Less demand, higher prices.