Moving Company to USA

Manassas

I've decided to get that second house, but after lots of searching have decided to do it back in USA.

There are lots of shipping/moving companies advertised. But anybody with experience have recommendations on moving companies to ship household items to USA?

Thanks

We used Asian Tigers couple of years ago, and I was pretty impressed.

Our Thailand house is in Khon Kaen, which we keep so we weren't shipping everything, so it was mainly clothes, electronics, various household stuff and a small amount of furniture.

They came up to our house from BKK, and I have to say the packers were extremely good, then crated it up in our driving.

At the end of the day everything arrived, roughly 6 weeks later, intact.

By your name I'm assuming you are moving back to somewhere in Virginia, if so that may play to your favor.

What they all tend to do when they hand off to the agent in the US, is use the steamship line to do a bonded shipment from the arrival port to the nearest Port of Entry where it clears customs and is handed over to the trucking company That greatly reduces the cost of using a domestic moving company to truck it from the port to directly to your home. 

So 'if' you are in VA, find one that will ship directly to Port of Virginia, that should save a buck or two.

By contrast ours was sent from Long Beach to Minneapolis, where it cleared customs, then trucked to South Dakota by the final delivery carrier

This is the first sales contact I had there, then we were later handed over to the logistics guys.

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 2.55.28 PM.png

Thanks GinBoy. I'll give them a call. Sounds like we are doing the same thing. Keeping the TH house but sending a good portion of household items back to states. Not to mention the winter clothes we've kept.

Both the US and TH are changing - and not for the better. I like the idea of having 2 homes set up so I can move when I want.

PS I gave up on Virginia, but have a nice spot on the gulf coast.

On 7/25/2019 at 6:58 PM, Manassas said:

Thanks GinBoy. I'll give them a call. Sounds like we are doing the same thing. Keeping the TH house but sending a good portion of household items back to states. Not to mention the winter clothes we've kept.

Both the US and TH are changing - and not for the better. I like the idea of having 2 homes set up so I can move when I want.

PS I gave up on Virginia, but have a nice spot on the gulf coast.

Yeah we're keeping both, but as soon as my Thai son, who is also a US citizen told Mom he wasn't coming back to Thailand after graduating college in Chicago, the game was up!

Now Thailand is a snowbird vacation spot for a few months a year, the US is home

7 hours ago, GinBoy2 said:

Yeah we're keeping both, but as soon as my Thai son, who is also a US citizen told Mom he wasn't coming back to Thailand after graduating college in Chicago, the game was up!

Now Thailand is a snowbird vacation spot for a few months a year, the US is home

By coincidence, wife wants to give adopted daughter a shot at grad school in US. I think she would stay. A lot of young Thai, especially women are appreciating the personal freedom of the west and away from the village.

One of the clinchers for me, is I can get a house near the beach in the US that is better built, cheaper and with better legal protections than I can in Thailand. Thailand's not the cheap retiree dream it used to be.  

On 7/26/2019 at 3:56 AM, GinBoy2 said:

Our Thailand house is in Khon Kaen, which we keep so we weren't shipping everything, so it was mainly clothes, electronics, various household stuff and a small amount of furniture.

How much did that cost and what size of a crate or container? 

If you dont mind me asking. Im gearing up for the same move but debating on what to take. 

2 hours ago, Thainesss said:

How much did that cost and what size of a crate or container? 

If you dont mind me asking. Im gearing up for the same move but debating on what to take. 

Door to door, including packing for ~4.5 cubic meters, gross 1000 lbs it was ฿130K. Thats about half a container and trust me they can get a lot in there, and I could have taken more in there if I wanted.

• 2 months later...

I know A1 Auto Transport ships to the US, both cars and furniture. I have used them myself but it's been a couple years. It looks like they're still doing a lot of business internationally so they might be a good place to start if you have any questions. I know it can be somewhat tricky when moving countries spend some time determining if a company you're considering is experienced with shipping in both places. Ideally, they have offices in both, but that might be tough. 

Archived