BANGKOK
SailingHome

Latest Word on No Embassy Income Letters Allowed Now

1 minute ago, geoffbezoz said:

What a great pity and a disservice to it's nationals that the UK Bangkok embassy would not do that.

And the USA. What? The official letter annually of benefits amount coming and the end of year summary are FAKE? Come on.

7 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

And the USA. What? The official letter annually of benefits amount coming and the end of year summary are FAKE? Come on.

When I first arrived here I got an income affidavit from the US Consulate in Bangkok. You filled in a form stating your yearly income. (Pick a number . . . any number). The notary would notarize it. They never looked at a bank state, pension letter, . . . nothing. I don’t know what other countries do but the US Consulate did not check that the income you claimed was true. They obviously didn’t want to implement a procedure so they stopped issuing the affidavits.

56 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

Tried that. Wasted days and money getting it deposited here (stuck in bed.) Wells Fargo will transfer in 24 hours. So much better.

So... 3 mo of deposits to here and 6 mo of transfers to here from USA. 9mo. I am hectically wrapped about incline please, yes?

I was a Wells Fargo customer for 35 years. I loved banking with them in California. Be careful with them in Thailand though. They have great fraud detection. When I tried to make my first wire transfer to Thailand they froze all my accounts. That would normally be OK. The problem was that they wouldn’t unfreeze them unless I returned to the USA and showed then two forms of ID. While in Thailand I gave them my verbal password which they acknowledged was correct but they still wouldn’t release my accounts. I flew back to California to fix this. Later I got them to reimburse me for the expenses. At least two years ago they didn’t have a way to validate my identity remotely from overseas. I switched to Bank of America.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

You need to either deposit funds in a Thai bank or show proof of the monthly foreign transfers, as others here have advised.

Your and anyone else's Social Security statements pretty much will mean nothing as far as satisfying Thai Immigration as primary documentation of income.

And for whatever method you use for monthly foreign transfers into a Thai bank account, make sure the receiving Thai bank is recognizing and coding them as FOREIGN transfers... Otherwise, it's going to cause you problems. Generally speaking, traditional international (SWIFT) wire transfers coming into Thailand should not have any problem about that.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

Did the Danish go back to issuing them?

No, Danish embassy dont issue them any more.

But if you on a social pension from Denmark, Then the social pension office send a document to the Danish Embassy Bangkok. (secure E-Mail.)
That the Danish embassy stamp and write "Document confirmed genuine" on.

I use it this month at Si Racha Immigration for my Rietenment Extension.

Have talk to few other Danish people around Thailand that have use it is well.

Kindly.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

What a great pity and a disservice to it's nationals that the UK Bangkok embassy would not do that.

And up the State Pension to be £1700 a month!.

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

Coool. So I just give up being a USA citizen and benefits and become a Dane? That is actually tempting

Why would they take you? 

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Martyp said:

When I first arrived here I got an income affidavit from the US Consulate in Bangkok. You filled in a form stating your yearly income. (Pick a number . . . any number). The notary would notarize it. They never looked at a bank state, pension letter, . . . nothing. I don’t know what other countries do but the US Consulate did not check that the income you claimed was true. They obviously didn’t want to implement a procedure so they stopped issuing the affidavits.

US consulates never checked any documents. They only issued a sworn statements under penalty of perjury. That document is meaningless even in he US because First Amendment already protects lying and a prosecutor has to prove that by lying it has harmed the plaintiff in someway. Most US prosecutors will not touch such a case unless it involves other criminal activities subsequent to obtaining your the sworn statement. If you can get a sworn statement  saying that you're a time travelling werewolf, nobody can prosecute you.

Edited by onera1961
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Martyp said:

I don’t know what other countries do but the US Consulate did not check that the income you claimed was true

All they certified was that you had made a statement saying that it was true

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, SailingHome said:

Don't you understand that it's possible to download the letter from MySSA and using very simple tools change the amount to be whatever you want it to be. Similarly you can edit a digital copy of any document and make it say something else

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BoBoTheClown said:

I hate it when people mention 12 months of transfers. The Police Order isn't 12 months old yet.

So sorry for you that you hate what some people write. The IO officer I spoke with at my office told me 12 mths. No leniency. Just trying to warn the OP. It would be a shame for him to wait until December only get denied. The order I believe went into effect last December. Enjoy...

Posted (edited)

any news regarding the combination method (income + bank deposit) for retirement extensions? the old rules have not been affected by the recent changes as someone indicated earlier on another thread (does not apply to extensions based on marriage)...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

18 hours ago, ThaiBunny said:

The Danes presumably have some way of independently verifying that the pension statements being presented are not forgeries

Your pension company or the government have to send the pension statements directly to the Danish Embassy in Bangkok and the statements shall be in the English language. They charge thb 1.000 pr statement or 5.000 if the statement is in danish.

21 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

If you can get proof of income from your embassy it will be accepted.

If not you have to show the 40k baht or 65 baht needed for your extension going into a Thai bank from abroad every month.

Discussing the situation, with both Thai Immigration officers, and US Embassy staff, according to both, Immigration wants documented evidence of income, whether from Thai Bank, or from from the embassies. The US embassy will not notarise such documentation.

I would like to here from someone who has succeeded with the extension, or application, with a simple letter stating that the income is there.