BANGKOK
webfact

Immigration checking bank accounts? Officers undergo training in "money laundering"

I wonder when it will become compulsory to give them the PIN to your ATM card? They've already got your passport and fingerprints, after all, it's not money-laundering we should be concerned about.

Posted (edited)

''An Immigration seminar in Pattaya was training officers in how to spot money laundering and how they could apply the law. 

Thaivisa notes that this comes at a time when immigration has been trying to root out agents who arrange long stay visas for foreigners with money in bogus bank accounts''

Foreigners with money in bogus bank accounts??

Edited by userabcd

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

its getting so you can't even launder money anymore. i mean why even come here?

Don't feel disappointed. You are laundering money whether you know it or not. For example, everytime you go to Soi 6 you give your money to the "hostess' who in turn gives all or part of it to the boss who then hands a percentage over to the police who in turn passes it up the food chain to find it's way to politicians and then to offshore bank accounts. It eventually comes back to Thailand squeaky clean. 

Feel better now?

• Haha 1

I can imagine that this will end up in a situation where you are asked to prove where your 400k/800k has come from, with them asking for documentation, letters, payslips, solicitor's letters etc, which will be near enough impossible to provide for most people. What paperwork can you come up with the prove that your life savings from working are legit? It's going to be another reason for immigration to reject you and more headaches.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

immigration has been trying to root out agents who arrange long stay visas for foreigners

I need not comment, I have already soiled myself. 

• Haha 1

I can self confirm my £ account has been well and truly laundered rinsed and hung out to dry and will be further confirmed when the guy who hasn't got time to take his jacket off makes his house calls🤔

• Like 1

3 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

its getting so you can't even launder money anymore. i mean why even come here?

It's not that difficult.

My wife does it regularly, judging by the number of twenty Baht notes that appear in the bottom of the washing machine.

• Haha 1

Off topic post removed

Aww... you just scuppered Jho Low's plans. Poor fatty has nowhere to go with his BILLIONS now.

Why train people who are already experts?

29 minutes ago, khunpa said:

Why train people who are already experts?

Because no TV expert here has  notice that this seminar is held in Pattaya and not in Nan, Uttaradit or Nakhon Sri Thammarat. :cheesy:

• Haha 1

Why hold a course, just ask the big boss and deputy how to do it. They are experts.

• Haha 1