Immigration checking bank accounts? Officers undergo training in "money laundering"

webfact

5 hours ago, mstevens said:

It's easy to be blasé about this and suggest Immigration doesn't know what they're doing or there is nothing to worry about, but given rather a lot of foreigners have performed work without a work permit in Thailand and monies have been deposited in to their account for that work, I would not want to be asked to show a bank book when extending a visa which would show a history of transactions that might not be easy to explain.

Open a 2nd bank account then and transfer the 'retirement' money in there. Just the once and job done.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why?  I get notified of every transaction immediately on my phone.  Why would I worry about an account I've had here with no problems for 20 years?  I worried more about my money in the states when they were turning off my credit cards because I came to Thailand or the hassle of getting a new card by mail here from there.   

The problem is not theft from the account but rather a crooked io that pass the information on to a crook which targets people with money, either by a scam or kidnapping. If they want my banking info due to suspected money laundering get a court order. 

15 hours ago, Parker2100 said:

At what point does Immigration decide that doing everything that it wants to do is just becoming petty?

At what point do they decide that the benefit does not outweigh the undue burden of an overly complex system?

Said another way, when are they going to decide this is just an expensive excerise in Wack-o-Mole?

When you target the law-abiding citizens, it's easy: the numbers are simple, people are eager to comply, they want to stay within the law. From immigration's point of view, they're being seen to be doing something, it's measurable, they can easily get results, and it's the path of least resistance. Not so when you go after the real criminals.

On 7/24/2019 at 1:48 PM, simon43 said:

For those of you who are making jokes about this news report, I would politely suggest that no-one would hold a training program such as this unless they proposed to use that training for a purpose.  Holding seminars etc costs time and money.

I expect they will.  They will put all expats playing by all the rules under a microscope and start questioning and being suspicious about completely valid transactions and demanding additional documentation and banking records simply to make the entire process more of a horror-show then it already is - for those completely and honestly playing by the rules!

However, what they will not do is to start using those same skill sets to look into the banking records of their own Immigration Officers as well as pairing Immigration employees assets with the amount of money that actually make.  Why should they?  Because agents are not counterfeiting valid Thai Visa Extension Stamps.  These Official, Valid Immigration Extension stamps that agents are obtaining for their foreign expat clients can only come from one place -- within Immigration itself.  Talk about an organization that desperately needs an independent Internal Affairs department staffed by officers who make enough money as not to be corrupted themselves.  
But it's easier to pretend like all of we foreign expats who are playing by the rules are actually devious criminals gaming they system, and then put the thumbscrews to us all to show the world "they mean business" - as they conveniently ignore the agents and the bent IOs supply the agents with ill-gained and highly illegal visa extension documents and stamps.  The documents and stamps don't suddenly appear out of thin air, now do they.  There is a source - and that source is being ignored. 

Bottom Line:  The system is broken beyond repair and will only get worse.

On 7/24/2019 at 4:46 AM, webfact said:

The "ongoing training" would help immigration with more modern methods in detecting crime both today and into the future. 

Wouldn't it be nice if that 'ongoing training' included group readings of the Immigration rules for all offices?

It would be interesting to know if the banks can give away information to the police without asking the account holder. If I ever find out my bank Kasikorn are not to be trusted anymore I am out of here. 

Just now, balo said:

It would be interesting to know if the banks can give away information to the police without asking the account holder. If I ever find out my bank Kasikorn are not to be trusted anymore I am out of here. 

Ha ha, you must obviously come from a civilised country!

9 minutes ago, balo said:

Nah

They would never give it away.

More like sell it to them.

TIT

2 hours ago, intherealworld said:

Very true.

But for all the people that do leave, there will be many Thai families that will lose an income, kids will be removed from schools, or have to finish university and get a job, if they can. any promises of sending money from his home country will soon dry up over a short period of time.

and relationships will end.

This witch hunt, is very bad for some Thai citizens.

All one big own goal Thailand. you have become a bottomless pit of stupidness on many different levels at present.

Right - the people being forced out have income (which they'll presently depend on to set up a new life elsewhere). The people left behind typically don't have much in the way of income or opportunities and will bear the brunt of this stupidity. At some point it'll certainly backfire on the nationalists in charge, if they haven't popped their clogs first. 

On 7/24/2019 at 11:08 AM, nev said:

Excellent news they can come and check mine, If they find any money in there we can go Half's on it.

That's what my old dad used to say to me when i was a kid "son,if a robber comes in the house and finds any money,ask him for half"

On 7/24/2019 at 12:05 PM, tomazbodner said:

I did money laundry a few times back in the young days. Forgot banknotes in pants' pockets and load them in washing machine. Money came out sparkling clean after drying. Good it's made of cotton, not paper...

Well you can launder Ozy dollars,over and over its plastic. 

On 7/24/2019 at 11:27 PM, elliss said:

Bring back big joke , he is handsome more .. 

Big wit ,  my  darling not like him , me too..

Trying to stop I O / agents from "earning" money is why Big Joke got the boot this guy will go the same way

On 7/24/2019 at 10:46 AM, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that this comes at a time when immigration has been trying to root out agents who arrange long stay visas for foreigners with money in bogus bank accounts.

So this is different than real bank accounts?

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/24/2019 at 11:00 AM, NCC1701A said:

its getting so you can't even launder money anymore. i mean why even come here?

protected employment, only available for Thai citizens, it will be in the list …...

On 7/26/2019 at 7:11 PM, brianthainess said:

Well you can launder Ozy dollars,over and over its plastic. 

did you know that the biggest killer of Aussie bank notes before plastic was dragging them across and placing them on wet bars in the pubs.

On 7/26/2019 at 6:42 AM, lamyai3 said:

Right - the people being forced out have income (which they'll presently depend on to set up a new life elsewhere). The people left behind typically don't have much in the way of income or opportunities and will bear the brunt of this stupidity. At some point it'll certainly backfire on the nationalists in charge, if they haven't popped their clogs first. 

you know what, due to the complete lack of intelligence -- they don't care. 

On 7/25/2019 at 7:54 AM, SOUTHERNSTAR said:

The problem is not theft from the account but rather a crooked io that pass the information on to a crook which targets people with money, either by a scam or kidnapping. If they want my banking info due to suspected money laundering get a court order. 

will that be on your way to the airport as you stay has been terminated - which can be done at anytime to suit their agenda.

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

did you know that the biggest killer of Aussie bank notes before plastic was dragging them across and placing them on wet bars in the pubs.

Did you know that a high percentage of UK notes have trace amounts of cocaine. ????

Up to 80% of them has been quoted.

57 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Did you know that a high percentage of UK notes have trace amounts of cocaine. ????

Up to 80% of them has been quoted.

No I didn't but couldn't believe 80%. I

Archived