6 year driving licence

Delight

A friend of mine mentioned ,a few days before the 8 th June this year, that he has to renew his driving licence.

His birthday is 8th June

He also mentioned that he expected to get 6 years

I was sceptical.

Today he showed me his new licence -expiry date  June 2025. 6 years as predicted

The start year on the licence is 2007.

He says he always gets 6 years.

He suspects that it must be something to do with his birth date.

Can anybody explain this ?

16 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Afaik the 5 year license is valid 5 years + the time until the next birthday.

So if you apply for it the day after your birthday you effectively get 5 years + 364 days to your next birthday

Correct - I deliberately waited until the day after my birthday before renewing.  

Three hours and a video later = one 6-year license.  ????

4 hours ago, transam said:

If you renew AFTER your birthday you get 5 years plus the time between your next birthday and the date you renew..

Yes. Just got it today too. Renew within one year after expiry (which is normally one's birthday). I did mine today. It had been expired a day, so got 6 years, less one day.

6 hours ago, jackdd said:

So if you apply for it the day after your birthday you effectively get 5 years + 364 days to your next birthday

Ok, as 5 year licenses expire on one's birthday, what if I renewed one day early, as I didn't want to drive on an expired license? Would I then get 5 years and one day until next expiration? What if I renewed on birthday/expiration date?

37 minutes ago, JimGant said:

Ok, as 5 year licenses expire on one's birthday, what if I renewed one day early, as I didn't want to drive on an expired license? Would I then get 5 years and one day until next expiration? What if I renewed on birthday/expiration date? 

One day before most likely 5 years + 1 day.

On your birthday i can only guess, but probably exactly 5 years.

If you once started the "apply for the driving license one day after birthday" process, the next year you would only be not insured by any voluntary insurance for the trip to the DLT on the day after your birthday. So if you want to stay 100% correct ask your wife / GF / friend to drive you there on this day.

Only if this happens to fall on a weekend or holiday (and you don't want to risk driving without valid license) you will be limited in your mobility for another day or two.

Also applies for a 2 year license to a 5 year license, you will get 5 years then up to your birthday ( I got 5 1/2 years ).

But if you renew from a 2 year license to another 2 year license ( I.e. tourist visa ) then you will get exactly 2 years .

8 hours ago, jackdd said:

Afaik the 5 year license is valid 5 years + the time until the next birthday.

Perhaps even 365 days..........

11 hours ago, wgdanson said:

Yes, you get 5 years FROM YOUR NEXT BIRTHDAY.

Thanks for your reply

However ,as I understand it, this added time is only a one off event.

In my friend's case that occurred in 2007.

After that it should be a renewed on a 5 year frequency.

His prior licence expired 8th June 2019. To my mind his new licence should have expired 8th June 2024. He got an extra year i.e to  8th June 2025

My licence expired 14th Feb 2019 and my current licence expires 2024.

However -it is not really important.

Thanks to all who replied

40+ years ago, I got a motorcycle license for about 100 Baht that is valid for my lifetime.  Little did they know that my lifetime would far exceed that of a typical Thai motorcycle rider.  The trick was moving to the USA 39 years ago.  Win!

8 hours ago, Delight said:

Thanks for your reply

His prior licence expired 8th June 2019. To my mind his new licence should have expired 8th June 2024. He got an extra year i.e to  8th June 2025

Please read post #3"

"So if you apply for it the day after your birthday you effectively get 5 years + 364 days to your next birthday"

It's not a one off event. 

9 hours ago, Delight said:

Thanks for your reply

Every renewal goes to your next birthday...Always been the same...

2 hours ago, macahoom said:

Please read post #3"

"So if you apply for it the day after your birthday you effectively get 5 years + 364 days to your next birthday"

It's not a one off event. 

My friend applied for his 1st licence before his birthday in 2006. Expired one year later.

Then  he applied for his 5 year licence.

The expiry date  of this new licence was advanced to his birthday 2013. He got 6 years plus.

After that  the expiry date of his next licence  became his birthday 2019. I witnessed this. Again 6 years

The expiry date of his current licence  is his birthday 2025. I have witnessed this.

There is only one 'advancement to birthday ' in this sequence i.e a   single one off event.

The 6 year frequency remains a mystery-even to my friend

3 minutes ago, Delight said:

My friend applied for his 1st licence before his birthday in 2006. Expired one year later.

Then  he applied for his 5 year licence.

The expiry date  of this new licence was advanced to his birthday 2013. He got 6 years plus.

After that  the expiry date of his next licence  became his birthday 2019. I witnessed this. Again 6 years

The expiry date of his current licence  is his birthday 2025. I have witnessed this.

There is only one 'advancement' in this sequence i.e a   single one off event.

The 6 year frequency remains a mystery-even to my friend

I'm sorry, but I think the only people who find it mysterious are you and your friend.

Anybody know what happens if your Birthday falls on a Leap Year, 29th February and you have 3 years before your next Birthday?  As I don't think that the Thai calendar has Leap Years,  it may be an odd issue. Just curious. 

1 hour ago, macahoom said:

I'm sorry, but I think the only people who find it mysterious are you and your friend.

Your comment needs some explanation.

My licence expired Feb 2019. The expiry date of my new licence  is Feb 2024 i.e 5 years-Standard

My friend 's licence expired June 2019 . The expiry date  of this new  licence is June 2025. i.e 6 years -not standard

Please explain  this to remove the mystery.- bearing in mind that his  first licence was granted in 2006 so the extra months were added years back.

6 minutes ago, Delight said:

My licence expired Feb 2019. The expiry date of my new licence  is Feb 2024 i.e 5 years-Standard

My friend 's licence expired June 2019 . The expiry date  of this new  licence is June 2025. i.e 6 years -not standard

Please explain  this to remove the mystery.- bearing in mind that his  first licence was granted in 2006 so the extra months were added years back.

Renew on or before expiry = 5  years.

Renew after expiry = 6 years.

1 hour ago, Don Mega said:

Renew on or before expiry = 5  years.

Renew after expiry = 6 years.

This is useful information

Message -always renew just after expiry date.

Everybody should do this! Everybody will get 6 years.

The only nagging thought is my friend got the 6 years and for certain he renewed just prior to his expiry date.

1 minute ago, Delight said:

The only nagging thought is my friend got the 6 years and for certain he renewed just prior to his expiry date.

Lucky him.

2 hours ago, Delight said:

If I were him I would check all the license details..

3 hours ago, Delight said:

It's Thailand, no further explanation necessary, or possible. 

Archived