Question for those who use an agent for 12 month extension.

On 7/24/2019 at 1:12 PM, giddyup said:

All he had to do was look at my bankbook and see 800K hasn't moved in 9 years, but apparently that's not good enough. I guess you are saying if you use an agent the 90 day report showing funds is waived.

just because it has been there for 9 years does not mean that it will be there in 3 months as required... I am not sure why you think that would be proof of the future? 

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 5:05 PM, xylophone said:

I guess that answers the question and others re the 800k method and subsequent follow up of same, but it also means that once you opt to go down that route you are tied to that agent (or other agents) for good.......then they can start to ramp up the cost of doing this year after year.

The old saying. "they've got you by the short and curlies" springs to mind.

There is no doubt this method is illegal, so does one want to live with that hanging over one's head??

Summed up exactly how I would have put it.

It also highlights to me, that there are a hell of a lot of Xpats out there who just don't have that small amount of money in savings, i.e. 800,000 baht that they can just leave in the bank.

The above said, what the hell did all these Xpats do with their savings over the years worked, dare I ask, I mean how sad is it that they have to rely on corrupt agent/immigration officers to keep them in the country for another year, for a price ranging from 15,000-25,000 baht.

It's also sad to see that these Xpats give up there power to these money hungry agents/immigration officers which fuels their greed and if you ask me, I agree, tomorrows increase is your own making and if the 90 day reporting becomes a convenient issue because they have become hungrier, that could be another 5,000 baht every 90 days for example, what then.

Foruntately for those of us who have managed to work, think, save, and know when to say no to corrupted agents/immigration officers, can honestly say with pride that they have nothing over us and never will, excluding the chicken feed of 100 to 500 baht I have donated to cops/immigration officers over time, but 15,000-25,000 all I can say is Som Nam Na ????

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

An internal matter, not related to the grant of the extension.

The tax department in your country or Thailand's version?

What do you know about what a tax payer declares or not?

Don't talk wet, without the monetary payment the extension would not be granted. 

3 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

Summed up exactly how I would have put it.

It also highlights to me, that there are a hell of a lot of Xpats out there who just don't have that small amount of money in savings, i.e. 800,000 baht that they can just leave in the bank.

The above said, what the hell did all these Xpats do with their savings over the years worked, dare I ask, I mean how sad is it that they have to rely on corrupt agent/immigration officers to keep them in the country for another year, for a price ranging from 15,000-25,000 baht.

It's also sad to see that these Xpats give up there power to these money hungry agents/immigration officers which fuels their greed and if you ask me, I agree, tomorrows increase is your own making and if the 90 day reporting becomes a convenient issue because they have become hungrier, that could be another 5,000 baht every 90 days for example, what then.

Foruntately for those of us who have managed to work, think, save, and know when to say no to corrupted agents/immigration officers, can honestly say with pride that they have nothing over us and never will, excluding the chicken feed of 100 to 500 baht I have donated to cops/immigration officers over time, but 15,000-25,000 all I can say is Som Nam Na ????

Generally agree.  I would never go the agent route myself. 

• Like 2

On 7/24/2019 at 1:20 PM, giddyup said:

Doesn't answer my question as to how an agent overcomes the 90 day updated bank book, and of course the 800K is supposed to be in the bank 3 months prior to the extension, how do they show that?

Maybe immigration receives an "incentive" to look the other way when an agent they have recommended is involved?

• Like 1

21 hours ago, The Cobra said:

You may well be right, it stops short term loans or a group passing the same 800k around between them etc, BUT it then funnels more down the agent route and increases the envelope flow. Again, no it isnt right, but its issued by an officer with the authority to do so. Therefore NOT illegal.

Should he be doing it ? is he being paid ? (speculation) who knows, that's an internal immigration matter and as long as things are shared around, Its clear it wont be stopped anytime soon.

i thought prostitution was illegal?

Edited by malibukid

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Don't talk wet, without the monetary payment the extension would not be granted. 

I'll try to explain it a different way so you can understand. 

I'm discussing legislation and legalities, you're talking morality and indignation.

(interesting saying, haven't heard it before.)

21 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Why.....waste time n money on an agent.

Lived here 14 yrs always did it myself.

Now they are so efficient, its crazy to use an agent.

Try doing it yourself when you don't have 800k.  

Many people waste time and money on an agent because they don't have 800k, or don't want to tie up 800k.  Crazy. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

I wonder what the ratio of those with funds using agents for convenience versus those with no funds using the agents as a necessity?

It would have to be 1:10 or somewhere around there is my guess.

you are guessing very wildly...

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

The requirement is not having 800k in the bank for the last 9 years, but 2 months prior and 3 months after the extension.

Depends what you require of the agent....immigration may not ask to see the money post application when obtained using an agent. You appear not to have used an agent so why do you care?

I care because for the first time they have introduced reporting back after 90 days with an updated bankbook, another hoop for those complying to jump through. Whereas those who are doing it illegally are not asked to verify money in the bank, or asked to report back after 90 days with an updated bank book. Do you see the disparity and unfairness in this?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

Maybe immigration receives an "incentive" to look the other way when an agent they have recommended is involved?

Oh really? Who would have thought?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

I'll try to explain it a different way so you can understand. 

I'm discussing legislation and legalities, you're talking morality and indignation.

(interesting saying, haven't heard it before.)

Unless we had privy to what "discretion" the immigration officer can use, we'll never know if it's legal or not, but the process agents are using to cover the 800K in the bank is fraud plain and simple.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I suspect taking monetary payment above the 1900 baht to do so, and not declaring it for tax purposes is illegal.

I would also imagine that the agents are committing some kind of fraud as well. Otherwise how would you show that the 800K Has been in the account for 3 months before and after the extension.

4 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I would also imagine that the agents are committing some kind of fraud as well. Otherwise how would you show that the 800K Has been in the account for 3 months before and after the extension.

We all know they are not required to. The money is only in there long enough to generate the bank letter. 

On 7/24/2019 at 1:17 PM, ThaiBunny said:

All he had to do was look at my bankbook and see 800K hasn't moved in 9 years

Does it show from a source outside Thailand.... I think that was one of the requirements..

44 minutes ago, malibukid said:

i thought prostitution was illegal?

Still they open up brothels after brothels fronting ad bars, pimp girls as bar managers and many expats participate in that trade but I don't see any body talking about this illegal activity. 

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

We all know they are not required to. The money is only in there long enough to generate the bank letter. 

Then the compliance with immigration rules has not been met.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, onera1961 said:

Still they open up brothels after brothels fronting ad bars, pimp girls as bar managers and many expats participate in that trade but I don't see any body talking about this illegal activity. 

Two wrongs don't make a right. Illegally obtaining an extension without having to funds in the bank to do so is STILL just as wrong.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DJ54 said:

Does it show from a source outside Thailand.... I think that was one of the requirements..

It was transferred from Australia 9 years ago, that's not an issue.

1 minute ago, giddyup said:

Then the compliance with immigration rules has not been met.

Oh I agree. But  some say there is the underlying authority to sign off the non-compliance... I say it is a bribe myself.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, giddyup said:

I care because for the first time they have introduced reporting back after 90 days with an updated bankbook, another hoop for those complying to jump through. Whereas those who are doing it illegally are not asked to verify money in the bank, or asked to report back after 90 days with an updated bank book. Do you see the disparity and unfairness in this?

Feel fortunate that you have the funds and don’t mind it sitting in a bank. Best just to clear your mind of it and do something enjoyable...  You’ve got all your ducks in a row.

Don’t let the thought of what others do ruin your day. Whatever people are using Don’t worry about it.....

if there is a problem its their problem....

Some use agents for convenience..... Some use them because they’ve not got the funds.....and

yes it would be illegal if the hammer ever came 

down.

i used an agent (company) when I needed to renew China Visa for convenience. Everything 

above board as far as I know. They do the leg work 

going to consulate etc. 

From thier website .... is a professional passport and visa service company

authorized by the U.S. Department of State and Chinese Consulate.

Never the less let it be the other guys worry... 

Edited by DJ54
Add
  • Like 2

On 7/24/2019 at 1:29 PM, joealx said:

The agent will take care of the 800000 and the 90 day reporting.  You won't have to go to immigration to prove anything. You may have to go there for a photo, but that will be ordered by the agent.

So does the agent leave the money in the bank each year fir everyone.if not treading a fine line .is this not illegal if u don.t have the money