Pollution Mitigation Measures

toybits

Saw the mayor of Chiang Rai at the unfinished clock tower. They had this fire truck equipped with an extendable cage to hold firemen. They were hosing down the clocktower of Atchan Chalermchai. At times, I thought they were going to break up the Thai gothic decorations that adorn the new clock tower. Atchan Chalermchai would probably go balistic had he seen them do it.

Anyway, that was supposed to be part of the city government's effort to reduce air pollution in the city and to increase relative humidity. I't sounds technically feasible but if they (city government folks) want to have rain clouds develop from a few firetruck-loads of water, they must be dreaming.

So you and I are being invited to waste a few more cubic meters of water to increase the relative humidity in Chiang Rai.

I recommend that we start celebrating Songkran early this year-and allow casual clothes or even shortpants to work. Spaghetti strap for young girls must be decreed.

Saw the mayor of Chiang Rai at the unfinished clock tower. They had this fire truck equipped with an extendable cage to hold firemen. They were hosing down the clocktower of Atchan Chalermchai. At times, I thought they were going to break up the Thai gothic decorations that adorn the new clock tower. Atchan Chalermchai would probably go balistic had he seen them do it.

Anyway, that was supposed to be part of the city government's effort to reduce air pollution in the city and to increase relative humidity. I't sounds technically feasible but if they (city government folks) want to have rain clouds develop from a few firetruck-loads of water, they must be dreaming.

So you and I are being invited to waste a few more cubic meters of water to increase the relative humidity in Chiang Rai.

I recommend that we start celebrating Songkran early this year-and allow casual clothes or even shortpants to work. Spaghetti strap for young girls must be decreed.

spagetti straps im getting the raincoat out of moth balls then :o

From CM forum: Why don't we just cancel the holiday this year because of the lack of,da,water :o

Item from Yahoo News

Thai city may celebrate water festival early to reduce haze

Thu Mar 15, 3:38 PM ET

BANGKOK (AFP) - The mayor of Chiang Mai in northern Thailand on Thursday proposed bringing the city's water festival celebrations forward to help reduce the choking haze from forest fires that has enveloped the north of the country.

Thais celebrate Buddhist New Year by throwing water at each other from April 13 to 15, but Mayor Boonlert Buranupakorn said that he would like Chiang Mai to start the Songkran festivities on April 1.

"My idea is that we can have the water festival at the beginning of April, so that when people throw water it creates moisture and absorbs the haze," Boonlert told AFP.

"If my proposal is positively received by Chiang Mai residents, then we will go ahead," he added.

The haze blanketing many parts Thailand's usually scenic north eased Thursday, pollution officials said, but remained above levels considered safe to human health.

"The haze improved in Chiang Mai this morning due to the reduction in high pressure from China, which allowed hot air to dissipate," said Duangjai Duangthip from the northern pollution office.

She said strict controls on the burning of forest and farm materials also helped reduce the haze, but warned that there were still 834 fires burning across the northern region.

Paiboon Wattanasiritham, minister for social development, said that there had been a 20 percent increase in patients with respiratory problems at hospitals since the haze hit.

"Although the situation is better, we cannot be complacent and we will monitor the situation on a daily basis," he said.

Air quality is measured in micrograms of particles of matter per cubic metre, with 120 considered unhealthy, and 300 considered dangerous.

Chiang Mai province, one of Thailand's most popular tourist destinations, reported levels of 382.7 Wednesday, but these had dropped to between 260.5 and 229.5 by Thursday, a pollution control office report said.

The Chiang Mai weather bureau said visibility had improved to 1,800 metres (just over one mile) from 800 metres on Wednesday.

In Lamphun province, which borders Chiang Mai, the air quality reading dropped from 218.7 on Wednesday to 152.6 on Thursday.

There were no comparable readings for the two other worst-hit provinces of Chiang Rai, which has declared a province-wide disaster zone, and Mae Hong Son.

A total of eight northern provinces -- encompassing about five million people -- have been hit by the haze caused by forest fires and agricultural burning in northern Thailand and neighbouring Myanmar and Laos.

The haze was exacerbated by northeasterly winds and high pressure from China.

Prime Minister Surayud Chulanont is expected to tour the region later Thursday