Easiest border crossing for long term tourist?

Hi there,

I been in Thailand for a year as a tourist.

It happened that I met my Thai gf 2 weeks after arriving and ended up staying... however, I do travel often to outside of Thailand.

We discussed about getting married, but I would rather not rush things for the sake of a Thai visa, at least for another couple of years.

I also need to go out and back every couple of months at least, visiting family in Japan, so the tourist visa is great for me.

However, last time I flew back to DMK I was pulled aside for questioning and almost refused entry... but managed to come in "one last time" after producing an outward ticket.

I spent 305 days in Thailand out of the last 365 days and before that, I never came to Thailand.

I have 3 SETV used (home country in EU, KL, HMC) and 5 Visa Exemptions.

2 of the SETV have extensions, 2 of the Visa Exemptions have extensions as well.

My passport expires next year, so I am going to renew it in Jakarta next month on my home country embassy.

My hope was to keep doing this for another year before getting married, but from what I see it's getting difficult and they will probably cross check passports due to finger printing.

I dress smart and I am European white.

Always fly in to DMK, BKK or CNX.

I stay in Bangkok.

Does anyone think I can get a SETV in LAOS and come back through the land border with my current passport?

Or are the land borders also becoming more strict like bangkok airports?

And will Vientiane even issue me a SETV considering I have 3 used from other embassies, but stayed in Thailand for a year?

And would KL issue me a second SETV or better go somewhere else like Laos?

Any tips would be appreciated, thanks.

Hard to impossible to say. Seems like they are clamping down on some persons, but let others applications approved. The best options so far for years has been Savannkhet or Vientiane, but even from there comes different views now.

• Like 1

You should be able to get a tourist visa in Vientiane but be prepared to show financial proof if they ask for it. Be aware you must make an appointment to do the application ( https://thaivisavientiane.com/# )

No problem to enter at the bridge there.

Also Savannakhet is a good option but they will want to see at least the equivalent of 20k baht in a bank account when you apply. No appointment needed. 

Same for entering at the bridge there.

as I am in the same situation, you should look for an ED Visa. Seems you are way under 50 like me and not working. So your plan sounds good getting a SETV and then I would look for an ED Visa. The school will arrange everything and in the end it`s always good to speak the language. I can communicate in thai, but it`s just basic. So the ED Visa and visiting the language school 2 days/week is the smoothest option. Until you get the ED visa, use land borders of course.

So you got 1 yr time to sort out the marriage issue. Wish they had a solution for guys under 50 (who can prove enough money and for example passive income by renting properties in their home countries), except the EV in such situations. 

And yeah they cross-check passports at the airports???? An empty, new passport won`t help at all. Experienced it myself, so be cautious.

Edited by SpanishExpat

36 minutes ago, time2093 said:

Sorry, But sounds like your just like many others who are living in Thailand on a tourist visa as no legitimate tourist stays 305 out of 365 days a year in a foreign country and calls himself a tourist. Don't be surprised and ask why I'm being denied entry into Thailand as its just a matter of time.

Legitimate tourist is relative. I can live off some savings and also have some passive income on my home country.

I wouldn't stay in Thailand at all... if I didn't met my gf and if she didn't have a good career and unwilling to live abroad.

So while I understand that some people may be working here and are not genuine tourists, I cannot classify myself as anything else other than a tourist.

I'm not surprised if they stop me and neither will I complain, but of course it's better if I can stretch this situation before deciding that I want to get married. I am divorced and at 38, I have learned to give enough time to relationships before rushing.

I would happily apply for some sort of temporary residency but there is nothing here for me, other than the Elite Visa (which is a rip off that I decided not to take).

So the ED Visa and visiting the language school 2 days/week is the smoothest option. Until you get the ED visa, use land borders of course.

@SpanishExpat All the schools I saw, were basically offering 4 to 5 days a week, 3 to 4 hours a day. Also I am not really interested in learning Thai for now. But PM me if you know of any school that is 2 days a week and I'll check it out.

@ubonjoe thanks for the tips.

Do I need to show them 20k "in cash" at the land border from Laos, with the SETV?

Edited by peixotorms

3 hours ago, time2093 said:

Sorry, But sounds like your just like many others who are living in Thailand on a tourist visa as no legitimate tourist stays 305 out of 365 days a year in a foreign country and calls himself a tourist.

Nothing wrong with that at all, as long as you don't do anything that a tourist cannot legally do. If you have the time and the money, you can be a tourist for a lot longer than one year (I'll hit 13 years in September).

• Like 2

19 hours ago, peixotorms said:

Legitimate tourist is relative.

Einstein made a whole theory for relativity.

But in your case, you are NOT a tourist, period. Many here will give you advice on how to push the limits of the system, but be aware that sooner or later an officer will decide that enough is enough. If you are serious, better make your situation here clear: marry her, or buy an Elite visa. Surely a great love deserves 100,000 Baht per year over 5 years, especially if your gf who has a good career is willing to contribute.

ps: when you have time, sit down at some bar and listen to stories of guys who met their love here after 2 weeks. Could be educational.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

But in your case, you are NOT a tourist, period. Many here will give you advice on how to push the limits of the system, but be aware that sooner or later an officer will decide that enough is enough. If you are serious, better make your situation here clear: marry her, or buy an Elite visa. Surely a great love deserves 100,000 Baht per year over 5 years, especially if your gf who has a good career is willing to contribute.

ps: when you have time, sit down at some bar and listen to stories of guys who met their love here after 2 weeks. Could be educational.

Some even met their first, second and third wife on the first day at the first bar. 

Be very careful with 30 day visitor visa on entry anywhere as there is a purge on right now. Especially bad if you have multiple entries and some 30 day extensions. I got stopped coming into Phuket along with 2 other guys one of which had a 3 month visa bank statement and return flight along with paid accommodation. Other guy had been teaching for a year left for a month after school finished then came back to get his belongings gongs before going traveling. The three of us spent a night under lock and key st Phuket airport then sent back to our origin. All of us had money etc but they were not interested. So beware of the “purge”

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

You know the Elite visa is much cheaper than a divorce. About $15K for 5 years. You might be able to sell it if you leave. If she seems really good why not. Also save on travel expenses.

I am not saying the Thailand Elite program is a bad option. However, any Thailand Elite membership you buy now is non transferable. Only the original lifetime memberships were transferable. Many who had them have accepted an option to transfer into one of the limited time, non transferable memberships. There are not many transferable memberships still extant.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:10 PM, peixotorms said:

All the schools I saw, were basically offering 4 to 5 days a week, 3 to 4 hours a day. Also I am not really interested in learning Thai for now. But PM me if you know of any school that is 2 days a week and I'll check it out.

There are schools, where you can choose the days you want to attend. For example Language Express at Ploenchit. They have schedules for different lessons. and therefore you can choose which days you want attend.

So far I know I think you need 8 hours per week for the ED.. so you can go 2 days for 4 hours.. or 4 days for 2 hours.. of course you also can do more hours if you want.. but I don't think that is what you want at the moment ????

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/25/2019 at 1:13 PM, arithai12 said:

Like I said, it's relative to each person.

I may not be going around everyday visiting places as a tourist, but I do not work, or study or are retired... so none other than tourist. Just a long term at it, as long as I can afford it.

I don't go to bars so I cannot relate, but I heard the stories as well.

Yes, a great love deserves 100k and even more, but precisely because of those stories, things need time.

Asking her to contribute however, is a good tip... thanks.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:17 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Please let us know when you're in detention and make some good photos what will happen to people who believe that tourists can live in Thailand. 

Will do, thanks! I've been eager to visit that place as a tourist as well.

On 7/25/2019 at 1:31 PM, Uroller said:

Be very careful with 30 day visitor visa on entry anywhere as there is a purge on right now. Especially bad if you have multiple entries and some 30 day extensions. I got stopped coming into Phuket along with 2 other guys one of which had a 3 month visa bank statement and return flight along with paid accommodation. Other guy had been teaching for a year left for a month after school finished then came back to get his belongings gongs before going traveling. The three of us spent a night under lock and key st Phuket airport then sent back to our origin. All of us had money etc but they were not interested. So beware of the “purge”

Yes, I heard that thing as well, hence I asked.

I heard the recent purge is because there was some prophecy in the old days, stating that someday some farang will rule Thailand (government or whatever). Thai people are very superstitious... so if the right people believe this, it makes sense to start the purge now.

On 7/25/2019 at 6:55 PM, HampiK said:

There are schools, where you can choose the days you want to attend. For example Language Express at Ploenchit. They have schedules for different lessons. and therefore you can choose which days you want attend.

So far I know I think you need 8 hours per week for the ED.. so you can go 2 days for 4 hours.. or 4 days for 2 hours.. of course you also can do more hours if you want.. but I don't think that is what you want at the moment ????

I was under the impression that in order to be ED Visa eligible, we have to attend 15 hours a week.

Am I wrong, or what?

On 7/26/2019 at 1:13 AM, UKJASE said:

our school in hua hin is only 2 x 2 hrs a week too. 

people at my school been on ed visa a few years now, and all seems well

Same as above. Isn't it 15 hours week minimum for ED Visa?

On 7/26/2019 at 7:15 AM, FredGallaher said:

Thanks. I knew they were transferable before and assumed they stile were. If an  ED visa is considered I'd look at the cost. The real cost of an Elite visa would be : EV cost - Ed visa costs (visa + tuition + etc). The EV might be a better deal. Continued boarder runs are non-starters and eventually you'll be denied.

Yes, I understand all that. Just wanted to stretch my situation a bit further to have enough time to make a better decision. Thanks

In my opinion you won't make it again via any airport. Get ready to be denied and sent back where you flew from. Make sure you have a visa if they don't allow visa on arrival (Vietnam) or they might deny you as well and send you back to your country. If you use land border except Poipet you should be safe with a tourist visa and worst case you will walk back where you came from without being detained. Changing passport won't help especially if they already took your biometrics. 

A bit strange to not want to marry the gf and try to stick it out on tourist visas here for a couple of years.

Better long-term planning on your part is warranted. I would either marry the gf and go down the marriage visa route (or multi non-O, which keeps you in the country long-term) or find another country to live in.

Eventually you'll no longer be allowed back into the country. It doesn't matter that you've only ever spent most of the past year in Thailand and not previously. To an I/O it looks like you've decided to move here, but on the wrong visa type. If you tried this in America, Australia or even Singapore, you would have been refused entry on your first re-entry. Thailand is increasingly going that way too.

However, if you need just a little more time, get another tourist visa, enter via a land border (a quieter one such as Nakorn Phanom might help), extend it one time but in the meantime spend those 3 months seriously figuring out a long-term plan.