Bangkok Bank online purchase problem

I can't so far see anything regarding this, so I'll start a topic here.

I have a Bangkok Bank debit card/ATM card which I've used to make purchases online for a few years now.

A couple of weeks ago a payment was declined. Tried the next day, then when it failed again I phoned the call centre.

They went through the standard questioning and when they could 'see' no problem, gave me a reference number saying someone technical would call me back within 'five working days'. Sigh - so much for efficient service.

Just now I received the much awaited call - nine days later thanks to weekends and national holidays.

The girl told me straight away that I couldn't use my card for online purchases right now as they were 'improving the system'. That caused me to laugh quite a lot, much to the girl's embarrassment. She told me that all BKK Bank customers were in the same position.

I asked how could this be construed as an 'improvement' if it meant I couldn't use my card?

I also asked how long before the system would be running again? She had no answer to that question either. She said so many customers were angry about this, which to which I said it wasn't surprising as it could hardly be considered 'professional'.

I told her I would use my SCB debit card instead for now, as they hadn't 'improved' their system and it still worked.

She told me they would email when the issue was resolved.

Anyone else been having the same problem, as the call centre claims it is affecting all customers?

Most of us with current Bangkok Bank cards can not even pay in person as very few places accept UnionPay (which was there only offering for an extended period and still what you normally get).  Do you perhaps have an old Visa card?

4 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Most of us with current Bangkok Bank cards can not even pay in person as very few places accept UnionPay (which was there only offering for an extended period and still what you normally get).  Do you perhaps have an old Visa card?

I do have an old Visa card. Despite the fact the card expires in seven years time, I'm aware that having a card with a four digit PIN will expire at the end of this calendar year.

I've spoken to the call centre about this already in the past, I told them there was no way I wanted a 'Useless Pay' card as I referred to it, and was told I can now opt for a Mastercard when I swap my old Visa card for a new card - free of charge.

This is specifically regarding making an online purchase through a website, not making a purchase at a shop, hence the title of the topic.

My VISA card expires at end of the year,won't be accepting

one of those Chinese cards, Which bank still issues VISA cards,

tried CIMB and Siam Commercial,just Mastercard .

regards worgeordie

Hmm, so far no one has said when making an online purchase - using the internet - that they have had any problems over the past week.

Or does it just mean no one (so far) has tried that transaction?

When the call centre staff said as it was 'especially' when buying via Facebook, Paypal, and a third company (I can't remember right now), although it affected all 'online purchases'.

That's not exactly consist information, but then again I often don't expect anything else.

On 7/24/2019 at 5:17 PM, bluesofa said:

Hmm, so far no one has said when making an online purchase - using the internet - that they have had any problems over the past week.

Or does it just mean no one (so far) has tried that transaction?

When the call centre staff said as it was 'especially' when buying via Facebook, Paypal, and a third company (I can't remember right now), although it affected all 'online purchases'.

That's not exactly consist information, but then again I often don't expect anything else.

Yup cannot use with paypal  "cannot validate" is error message

After a painful 10 minutes on the phone They (Bangkok bank )are phoning me back! 

Edited by poohy

44 minutes ago, poohy said:

Yup cannot use with paypal  "cannot validate" is error message

After a painful 10 minutes on the phone They (Bangkok bank )are phoning me back! 

I'm sorry you're having the same hassle as me. Being selfish, I know now I'm not alone!

A couple of hours ago BKK bank called me again, to tell me exactly the same thing they told me two days earlier!

The only new thing the girl said was, that their technical department are working on an 'upgrade' right now and are testing it.

Apparently they say it will be sorted out "by next 'month", but no idea of when next month. She did say they will email everyone when the issue is resolved.

If you have another bank debit/credit card, then I'd suggest using that for now, as I was lucky enough being able to do.

Edited by bluesofa
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just an update on this. Back in July:

On 7/24/2019 at 4:04 PM, bluesofa said:

I also asked how long before the system would be running again? She had no answer to that question either. She said so many customers were angry about this, which to which I said it wasn't surprising as it could hardly be considered 'professional'.

I told her I would use my SCB debit card instead for now, as they hadn't 'improved' their system and it still worked.

She told me they would email when the issue was resolved.

I haven't received any email from Bangkok Bank to tell me the issue has been resolved.

Yesterday I called them again, to find out if it had been resolved.

After going around the houses for a while, they admitted it hadn't. When I got angry, the girl I spoke to shouted at told me she would get someone to call me tomorrow to talk about it.

Can you believe this?

Just now, I received a call from the bank. The new girl wanted to know about my experience talking to them and how I felt about their customer service!!!!!

I told her if they had staff to resolve my two-month-old problem instead if wasting my time asking how I felt about it, it would be a much better idea, and put the phone down.

What a load of tossers.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 4:40 PM, worgeordie said:

My VISA card expires at end of the year,won't be accepting

one of those Chinese cards, Which bank still issues VISA cards,

tried CIMB and Siam Commercial,just Mastercard .

regards worgeordie

My KBank debit card says "Visa". And for online purchases, they provide me with a "virtual card" that is Visa. The virtual card is working perfectly across every online purchase, including monthly subscriptions in the US, Europe, and Singapore. I have never had a problem with the physical card in any shop or ATM, and I have yet to have my virtual card declined anywhere. Another advantage being that if an ATM skims my physical card, it is useless to them for online purchases.

• Thanks 1

On 7/24/2019 at 5:17 PM, bluesofa said:

Used my BKB VISA debit card to buy return AirAsia tickets (Skyscanner/Trip.com) to Vietnam last week.

Went straight through, bank statement says payment via EDC.

Booked a room via Booking.com using the same card, also went straight through.

Edited by BritManToo

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Used my BKB VISA card to buy return AirAsia tickets (Skyscanner/Trip.com) to Vietnam last week.

Went straight through, bank statement says payment via EDC.

Booked a room via Booking.com using the same card, also went straight through.

Well at least it's working for you. This is what they said back in July, so some merchants do seem to be able to accept it:

"the call centre staff said as it was 'especially' when buying via Facebook, Paypal, and a third company (I can't remember right now), although it affected all 'online purchases'. "

21 minutes ago, steven100 said:
38 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

When I got angry, the girl I spoke to shouted at

There's your problem …..    it's not the west …   but it can be annoying all the same !

Quite right. If it was the west, how many customers would they have lost by now due to their useless attitude.

In the meantime, I just use my SCB debit card instead, that works fine.

Edited by bluesofa
misprit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Quite right. If it was the west, how many customers would they have lost by now due to their useless attitude.

In the meantime, I just use my SCB debit card instead, that works fine.

yes ….  they just don't seem to grasp the idea of solving issue's quickly, it's just the ' mai pen rai ' attitude.

And just to add …. I have a BBL Visa debit card, and for the life of me I think I have only had success paying a bill online once ….  if memory serves me correctly, I always get an issue when the verify-by-visa page appears and then they want some stupid 8 digit reference number to get a OTP.  I gave up trying … lol

2 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes ….  they just don't seem to grasp the idea of solving issue's quickly, it's just the ' mai pen rai ' attitude.

And just to add …. I have a BBL Visa debit card, and for the life of me I think I have only had success paying a bill online once ….  if memory serves me correctly, I always get an issue when the verify-by-visa page appears and then they want some stupid 8 digit reference number to get a OTP.  I gave up trying … lol

To be fair I've had that a few times, using a laptop.

Did you realise you need to click the box that says something like "Generate OTP", which instantly sends the OTP code to your mobile, then you just type the number on your mobile into the next box on the screen?

1 minute ago, bluesofa said:

To be fair I've had that a few times, using a laptop.

Did you realise you need to click the box that says something like "Generate OTP", which instantly sends the OTP code to your mobile, then you just type the number on your mobile into the next box on the screen?

yes ….  but up further on the Verify by visa page they required an 8 digit reference number before generating the OTP ….  I called the bank, went into the bank ...etc ….  anyway as usual, no pwoblem … it wokink ..bla bla.

I haven't tried it for 5 months or so …. not game to ..lol cheers.

6 minutes ago, steven100 said:

yes ….  but up further on the Verify by visa page they required an 8 digit reference number before generating the OTP ….  I called the bank, went into the bank ...etc ….  anyway as usual, no pwoblem … it wokink ..bla bla.

I haven't tried it for 5 months or so …. not game to ..lol cheers.

Ah, OK. Perhaps that's the one you need to initialise your card to use for internet purchases, as a one off thing?

I had to do that and it was rather convoluted, but the call centre staff talked me through the procedure.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 9/10/2019 at 1:59 PM, bluesofa said:

Just an update on this. Back in July:

I haven't received any email from Bangkok Bank to tell me the issue has been resolved.

Yesterday I called them again, to find out if it had been resolved.

After going around the houses for a while, they admitted it hadn't. When I got angry, the girl I spoke to shouted at told me she would get someone to call me tomorrow to talk about it.

Can you believe this?

Just now, I received a call from the bank. The new girl wanted to know about my experience talking to them and how I felt about their customer service!!!!!

I told her if they had staff to resolve my two-month-old problem instead if wasting my time asking how I felt about it, it would be a much better idea, and put the phone down.

What a load of tossers.

Had a phone call about 2 months ago problem be sorted soon they said

Sunday tried to use again with Amazon no chance

Krungthai card payment sailed through

About Time to change BKK bank or at least run it down and transfer balance to Krunthai (i only keep BKK bank as i like their internet banking layout)

• 3 months later...

I have the same problems online or in person , the other day i wanted to extend my stay in phuket using agoda and the card was declined, but part it i made booking through agoda before my trip with the same card and was working

another Bad incident with BBL Prepaid Mastercard, i was entertaining my business partner who happens to come to Bangkok, i took him to MK Restaurant we ate and enjoy our meal when it time to pay i gave the server the same card, mins later they came back saying my card was declined , i was so embarrassed in front of my business partner, i paid cash 

immidietly i went to BBL branch in the mall after 30 mins of checking they said my account is fine and no problem ,.. i explained to them what happened but they have no clue

Edited by Davai

• 5 months later...

I've got same problem yesterday. Suddenly debit visa card stop working for online payments, got payment rejected in my grab, true money and other apps I'm using on daily basis. 

Went to bank office, they said everything is ok there and I should try again. After I tried again and got same issue, I made a call to CS and after all validations they also confirmed everything is working OK. 

But it's not OK. Another funny thing I've noticed was that when I tried to add the card to another application, it return incorrect CVV error .. so I assume new 'update' was installed ... 

Will wait and see move out to another bank if things are not gonna improve ..