Single father travel out of Thailand with daughter on foreign passport

Hi!

I am planning a trip to Norway with my daughter for to week holiday. Problem is she don`t have a Thai passport.

I dawned on me that it would be a problem to leave Thailand on a foreign passport, with no arrival stamp.

So, can I bring her with the mothers consent, Norwegian passport, Thai birth certificate, her own Thai ID, and return tickets?

Will they also require a Thai passport?

I know she will have to apply for a student visa when we come back, but that is not a big problem. She is taking her higher education in Norway anyway. It`s free.

If shes in Thailand, what 'visa' is she on? Sounds like she's teenage or older. Or is she a newborn without a Thai passport yet?

This is a very confusing post.

Normally, when I take my daughters out I take them out on their Thai passports and we enter Europe on their UK passports. Depending on her age you may need a letter from the mother, or better still an official form from your local government office.

11 minutes ago, 2long said:

If shes in Thailand, what 'visa' is she on? Sounds like she's teenage or older. Or is she a newborn without a Thai passport yet?

This is a very confusing post.

Normally, when I take my daughters out I take them out on their Thai passports and we enter Europe on their UK passports. Depending on her age you may need a letter from the mother, or better still an official form from your local government office.

Yep, but does not the airline providing the service to get your daughters from A to B, in this case Thailand to UK, require that the passenger have valid visa (or passport) to enter the UK? Oh wait, no doubt you presented the airline rep with the UK passports... and Thai Immigration Official with the Thai passports.

The author of the OP could do the same as you, except from what it appears, his daughter does not have a Thai passport.

She is born in Thailand, her mother is Thai, and she is 8 years old.

No, in this case Norway, and she has a Norwegian passport. 

And if I was sure, I would have bought the tickets already.

And you know as well as I do, whom ever you ask, you will get a different answer. That`s is why I want to know if anybody else have experienced a similar situation.

If I had the time, (and money) and if I had not messed up my knee, (no, not motorcycle accident) I certainly would have got her a Thai passport.

3 hours ago, 7by7 said:

Why not get her a Thai passport; takes about a week.

yes agree. that's what I did. needed both parents to get it and yes took less than a week with EMS. leave Thailand with Thai passport, enter Norway on Norwegian passport. easy, but mother has to be ok with getting a thai passport...…… 

I really don't think you're going to be able to get her through immigration on just her Norwegian passport (considering she never entered Thailand on it). The fact that the mum isn't going either will just raise lots of alarm bells, such as them suspecting you're taking her away from her mother without permission.

The passport offices can turn a passport around in 24 hours in some places. 1,000B, nice and easy. But BOTH parents need to be there (with ID, so your passport) when applying for the Thai passport but not for collecting it.

With consent from her mother she can leave Thailand on her Norwegian passport, provided she entered Thailand on That passport or if she has never kleft Thailand before. For that you show the Thai birtcertificate together with her passport and that makes clear that she never entered Thailand on the Norwegian passport.

But you will find that on return she will be stamped in as a Norwegian, must have a visa and extension etc. Not a big deal for a child with Thai nationality, but given the paperwork etc involved the best option is to get a Thai passport. Only takes about 3 or 4 days. That will be less running around than when she enters on heR norwegian passport on return.

Can't the mother not get her Thai passport with your consent?

Even if you got out of Thailand, you would struggle to get her boarded on the return flight, with no Visa and no return flight back out of Thailand.

Suggest you carry a copy of her birth certificate, and a note of permission from her mum at all times. A chap the other day said that they were looking for the permission note to be witnessed at the local gov office as well ( but I never had that issue when travelling back in March).

Thai Passport was easy to make/renew, couple of Days delivered to the house ( though our office is quite close by I have to admit).

23 hours ago, Beowolf said:

So, can I bring her with the mothers consent, Norwegian passport, Thai birth certificate, her own Thai ID, and return tickets?

Will they also require a Thai passport?

I would not count on that without problems in Immigration.

You can have a Thai passport made same day for a V.I.P. fee – I think it's 1,000 baht, so compared to Norwegian money, a small fee – and you might also need a permission from the local amphor to bring a minor out of Thailand; i.e. it's the mother giving you official permission, a self-made letter might not work.

You didn't state the age of your daughter, but seems like she might be teen, or thereabout. If she has same family name as you, things might gbe easier in Immigration, and you might not be asked for the mother's permission to bring a minor out of Thailand.

The correct way to travel is using the Norwegian passport upon airline check-in (showing no need for a Visa into Schengen area), using Thai passport only when leaving Thailand through immigration, and having the approval letter ready or folded inside the passport, using Norwegian passport only when entering the Schengen zone. Returning you shall use the Norwegian passport upon check-in and immigration, and Thai passport only when entering Thailand.

Avoiding a Thai passport you might – in worst case – not be allowed to bring your daughter out of Thailand, and loose your flight.

Do it the correct way, it's not that much of trouble to get a Thai passport – however, both Thai mother and a father need to be present when applying for a Thai passport for a minor – and to get the approval letter from an amphor office. The letter looks like this:

734155474_Amphor-travel-letter-2018copy.jpg.de37444218a413b16c99068dfd421653.jpg

I've been taking my own daughter alone out of Thailand a couple of times when aged 11 and 13, using Thai passport only when leaving – and having the letter with permission – and her Danish passport when check-in and entering the foreign country; she has same family name as I. We were never asked any questions in Immigration, nor asked for letter with permission.

????

Edit: The amphor letter is made immediately, if you have documentation like photocopies of House Books and ID cards ready, it might take less than an hour. Let the Thai mother ask the local amphor in advance about exactly what documentation they need, and how the photocopies shall be laid out; if not right, they might reject the copies, and you need to provide new copies.

On 7/24/2019 at 8:01 PM, Beowolf said:

She is born in Thailand, her mother is Thai, and she is 8 years old.

No, in this case Norway, and she has a Norwegian passport. 

And if I was sure, I would have bought the tickets already.

And you know as well as I do, whom ever you ask, you will get a different answer. That`s is why I want to know if anybody else have experienced a similar situation.

If I had the time, (and money) and if I had not messed up my knee, (no, not motorcycle accident) I certainly would have got her a Thai passport.

You may also need a letter from her present school.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 2:01 PM, Beowolf said:

If you can't afford a Thai passport for her, how can you afford to take her to Norway?

If you can't take her to the passport office, how can you take her to Norway?

Archived