Mueller says Trump was not exonerated but Trump declares victory

webfact

I guess nobody cares that Mueller walked this back at the end of the testimony and said they did not make any determination of guilt, directly referencing Lieu, and making this whole argument pointless. 

Yes, that part was conveniently left out of any “mainstream” reporting.

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You know that's not right :

"He clarified that his office had not made a determination as to when Trump had committed a crime, because of internal Department of Justice guidance that states a sitting president couldn't be indicted."

He clarified his mistake in the afternoon session - you have either not seen that or are deliberately ignoring it by quoting the EARLIER mistake. 

Where would he see it?

8 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

If it happened pre election, then it definitely happened under Obama's watch.  

What a wonderful piece of logic. Similarly, if president Trump obstructed justice, we can safely assume it was post-election.

8 minutes ago, candide said:

Mueller was forbidden by the DOJ to go beyond what is already written in his report. That's why it was boring as he was not allowed to provide any answer that was not already in the report to questions by Dem or GOP reps alike.

“Any testimony must remain within the boundaries of your public report because matters within the scope of your investigation were covered by executive privilege, including information protected by law enforcement, deliberative process, attorney work product, and presidential communications privileges,” Associate Deputy Attorney General Bradley Weinsheimer wrote in a letter to Mueller that was obtained by The Hill.

https://thehill.com/policy/national-security/454233-doj-tells-mueller-to-limit-testimony-to-his-public-report

How convenient that you left this out.

It was former Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team who asked the Justice Department to send Mueller a letter telling him to keep his upcoming testimony to House lawmakers "within the boundaries" of the public version of his Russia probe report.

7 minutes ago, candide said:

Mueller was forbidden by the DOJ to go beyond what is already written in his report. That's why it was boring as he was not allowed to provide any answer that was not already in the report to questions by Dem or GOP reps alike.

Another lie and more misinformation. 

Barr says Mueller asked DOJ to send letter limiting testimony to ‘boundaries' of report

Attorney General Bill Barr told Fox News on Tuesday that it was former Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team who asked the Justice Department to send Mueller a letter telling him to keep his upcoming testimony to House lawmakers "within the boundaries" of the public version of his Russia probe report.

“At his press conference, Bob had said that he intended to stick with the public report and not go beyond that,” Barr said in an interview. “And in conversations with the department, his staff was reiterating that that was their position and they asked us for guidance in writing to explain or to tell them [what] our position was. So we responded in writing. The department sent the guidance that they requested."

Asked directly if it was Mueller who asked for the letter, Barr replied, “Yes.”

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/barr-mueller-asked-doj-to-send-him-letter-saying-testimony-must-remain-within-boundaries-of-report

35 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Do you live in the same world as others, or have difficulty with comprehension........

"The reason, again, that you did not indict Donald Trump is because of the OLC opinion stating that you cannot indict a sitting president, correct?" Lieu asked, referring to the Justice Department's Office of Legal Counsel.

"That is correct," Mueller said.

Not sure what world you inhabit but surely you slept through Mueller's complete rebuttal in a written statement he read after lunch, while you dozed....

2 hours ago, rabas said:

I want to add one correction to my testimony this morning," Mueller said. "I want to go back to one thing that was said this morning by Mr. Lieu, who said and I quote, ‘You didn’t charge the President because of the OLC opinion. That is not the correct way to say it. As we say in the report and as I said at the opening, we did not reach a determination as to whether the President committed a crime.”

It seems someone talked to him during the lunch break, would love to know who.

11 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

"I can't speak to that," "I'm not going to get into that," and "It is beyond my purview."

Nothing new to see here...if you are in the impeachment camp, you have no new maLast I knew, there were still 19 terial...there was no evidence of "Trump" collusion with Russia...and not enough evidence to indict on obstruction.

This should be the final Democratic theatrical fiasco concerning the Trump campaign and Russia...and actually start to bring about much needed legislation to move the country forward.

Those involved in using false information in an attempt to overthrow an elected President should be very afraid...it will soon be your turn to be arrested!   ????

Last I knew, there were 29 ongoing Trump related investigations ~I think one has been dismissed. 

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/05/13/us/politics/trump-investigations.html

10 hours ago, Thainesss said:

The would have had more support BEFORE this testimony rather than after that train wreck. 

What an embarrassing mis-calculation by Nadler, but Thanks Dems. I seriously doubt we will be hearing anything serious about Impeachment unless its from "The Squad". 

So, you think only 4 people are for impeachment~who told you that Trump?

2 minutes ago, PhonThong said:

How convenient that you left this out.

It was former Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s team who asked the Justice Department to send Mueller a letter telling him to keep his upcoming testimony to House lawmakers "within the boundaries" of the public version of his Russia probe report.

I guess he did not want to be caught between a rock and a hard place. Anyway, whoever asked for this letter, it became the DOJ official position He was not allowed to go beyond what was written in the report.

2 minutes ago, candide said:

I guess he did not want to be caught between a rock and a hard place. Anyway, whoever asked for this letter, it became the DOJ official position He was not allowed to go beyond what was written in the report.

At his own request for crying out loud. 

4 minutes ago, Redline said:

So, you think only 4 people are for impeachment~who told you that Trump?

I imagine theres 50 or 60 politicians and a minority of voters that would like him impeached. "The Squad" being the most vocal, and the most unliked, and the best for Republicans to put on blast. 

Outside of the extremist left echo chamber, most people are happy enough with Trump to not support impeachment - to the point that Pelosi keeps blocking any effort to try it. 

11 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

I watched the whole thing too and Mueller seemed old and out of it and confused.  He should have been reading from a prompter.  I still don't know what the Russians did that actually interfered with the election.  Facebook stuff is not interfering - everyone knows that is not a reliable source and if you don't you shouldn't vote.  The Russians got charged with conspiracy to commit computer crimes - not committing crimes but conspiracy to commit.  That means they thought about doing something but didn't.  Big deal ho hum.  

Get someone to read the report to you

13 minutes ago, rabas said:

Not sure what world you inhabit but surely you slept through Mueller's complete rebuttal in a written statement he read after lunch, while you dozed....

It seems someone talked to him during the lunch break, would love to know who.

The fact remains that Trump was NOT exonerated, despite him shouting to anyone who would listen, that he was........

ex·on·er·ate

(especially of an official body) absolve (someone) from blame for a fault or wrongdoing, especially after due consideration of the case.

So according to Mueller, Trump was not absolved from blame or wrongdoing.

Furthermore I found it interesting that Mueller stated that he could not answer certain questions because they were the subject of ongoing investigations, or words to that effect..........donald's dirty dealings still in the spotlight??

10 hours ago, Thainesss said:

And id just like to point out that 2 YEARS of Trump Russia Narrative was a complete hoax, fabricated and planted by god-knows-who, and how the left is NOW rallying around "Obstruction of Justice" - a complete 180 from the investigations original objective and none of the never-trumpers even batted an eye at how absolutely ridiculous that is, nor how ridiculous it makes them look. 

This sham has all along been a partisan manipulation and partisan attack from the left. 

Id also like to point out that apparently there is also an investigation going on by Barr to find out how this all happened. 

And how about that moon landing?  I'm still trying to get to the bottom of that!

11 minutes ago, xylophone said:

The fact remains that Trump was NOT exonerated, despite him shouting to anyone who would listen, that he was........

ex·on·er·ate

(especially of an official body) absolve (someone) from blame for a fault or wrongdoing, especially after due consideration of the case.

So according to Mueller, Trump was not absolved from blame or wrongdoing.

No not at all...

3 hours ago, rabas said:

Muller also admitted (in the morning) there has never been a case where the DoJ determined that an investigated person "was not exonerated", except Mr. Trump's case. Worse, exonerated (legally) requires a conviction be overturned, thus of course Muller cannot exonerate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exoneration

Like I said, it is all word salad for political consumption. There is no meaning to it. On the bright side, at least you won't gain weight.

9 minutes ago, chokrai said:

What a pile of crap. Just more of the same Democrat witch hunt.

I broke down and read the report (yes, VERY dry, it took some effort), and am SHOCKED at the level of criminal activity the Trump campaign was involved in. The same as I couldn't believe Hillary got away with HER criminal acts, I can't see how Trump remains a free man. This shit has got to STOP - too many politicians are emboldened every time they see no legal action brought against these evil people. It's becoming a horrific norm. Sure, politicians have always been dodgy, but Trump has taken it to an unforgivable level and needs to be stopped.

First off, a prosecutor whether it is Robert Mueller or any other prosecutor, their role is to determine if their is sufficient evidence to warrant prosecuting.  MUELLER COULD NOT FIND HIMSELF EXONERATED.  Prosecutors do not have the power to exonerate.  That is up to a judge and a jury.  What Mueller did conclude was that there was no evidence of Trump colluding with Russia but he overstepped his bounds by even mentioning that he could not conclude if Trump was guilty of obstruction.  First off, how can a person "obstruct justice" for an offense even the prosecutor states there was no evidence of.   Second, a prosecutor is only suppose to either recommend or not recommend prosecution.  His statement that he could not state if Trump was guilty of obstruction is akin to him saying, well I can conclusively say Trump did  not commit any crimes but I can not say that Trump did not obstruct me in coming to the conclusion that he was not guilty.  DUH. 

2 minutes ago, quandow said:

I broke down and read the report (yes, VERY dry, it took some effort), and am SHOCKED at the level of criminal activity the Trump campaign was involved in. The same as I couldn't believe Hillary got away with HER criminal acts, I can't see how Trump remains a free man. This shit has got to STOP - too many politicians are emboldened every time they see no legal action brought against these evil people. It's becoming a horrific norm. Sure, politicians have always been dodgy, but Trump has taken it to an unforgivable level and needs to be stopped.

So much criminal activity, in fact, that the only half-assed charge they could possibly muster is Obstruction ????

3 minutes ago, quandow said:

I am shocked at the level of corruption and criminal activity by Mueller and the rest of the lowlifes in the DOJ

14 minutes ago, chokrai said:

I am shocked at the level of corruption and criminal activity by Mueller and the rest of the lowlifes in the DOJ

Prove it. You take cheap shots at a decorated war hero with an unblemished career. Prove it.

23 minutes ago, Thomas J said:

First off, a prosecutor whether it is Robert Mueller or any other prosecutor, their role is to determine if their is sufficient evidence to warrant prosecuting.  MUELLER COULD NOT FIND HIMSELF EXONERATED.  Prosecutors do not have the power to exonerate.  That is up to a judge and a jury.  What Mueller did conclude was that there was no evidence of Trump colluding with Russia but he overstepped his bounds by even mentioning that he could not conclude if Trump was guilty of obstruction.  First off, how can a person "obstruct justice" for an offense even the prosecutor states there was no evidence of.   Second, a prosecutor is only suppose to either recommend or not recommend prosecution.  His statement that he could not state if Trump was guilty of obstruction is akin to him saying, well I can conclusively say Trump did  not commit any crimes but I can not say that Trump did not obstruct me in coming to the conclusion that he was not guilty.  DUH. 

Mueller very clearly laid out in the report why he did what he did and did not do. Read the report and see the details of the obstruction.

3 minutes ago, quandow said:

To date, Trump has been blocked from ever running a charity ever again. He was sued for running a fake, illegal university. He has ripped off thousands of people in business. He has lied under oath. He committed ten acts that would get ANY other president kicked out of office and put in jail, and is actively, openly doing everything be can to stop any investigation into his actions. What this whole thing has really exposed is the ugly underbelly that has been simmering in America for decades. When you have an arena full of white people chanting "send her back" about an elected official who is a woman of color and an American Citizen - that's not just racism. That's White Nationalism and that should scare the HELL out of you. That anyone can defend this man is frightening.

Weird, if you're so sure hes done all these things then it should be no problem getting his impeachment and prosecution thereafter. 

And yet, hes STILL you're president, most of the US public DOES NOT support impeachment, hes garnered more re-election money than almost all the Dem candidates combined, and Ill wager that his approval numbers go up and Independent voters move even farther away from impeachment after this sham Mueller testimony.

4 minutes ago, quandow said:

Mueller very clearly laid out in the report why he did what he did and did not do. Read the report and see the details of the obstruction.

Or you could provide quotes to actually rebut peoples posts instead of trying to stop discussion by shouting everyone down to read the report. 

Archived