Nong Khai to Pattaya Easiest Way

Ling Kae

Did this trip a long time ago, once by 3rd class train (free seating too BKK) and it was an overcrowded nightmare.  

So this time some 20 years later could somebody recommend an easy option to get to Pattaya.  I can use buses or train but I need allocated seating unlike the old train trip years ago.

Looking for an afternoon, evening, night trip. Do I need to book in advance?

Just the simplest easiest way to Pattaya would be great, it's been a while and I know things have changed so any help would be great. Thanks. 

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

They have new trains on that service now. Much improved. Best option is an overnight sleeper.

That may be OK to Bangkok but the leg to Pattaya wont have improved much, I think. And Pattaya station is still located in the back of beyond with no regular public transport.

I would take the bus all the way, or take the train to Bangkok and then take the bus for the last leg.

3 hours ago, NokNokJoke said:

I think there are a few direct flights a day from udon to utapao

As far as I know there is only one flight per day to U-Tapao, AirAsia at 14:00h.

Convenient.

Five flights daily to Suvarnabhumi and bus/taxi from there would be the another option.

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

That may be OK to Bangkok but the leg to Pattaya wont have improved much, I think. And Pattaya station is still located in the back of beyond with no regular public transport.

I would take the bus all the way, or take the train to Bangkok and then take the bus for the last leg.

terrible advice...never ever get a night bus unless you sit behind the driver poking him with a sharp stick every 5 minutes

5 minutes ago, 1Gringo said:

Star Trek transporter

I have a lady friend in nong kai , in the trade in patty . 

She returns to visit mama and papa every mounth.

I sometimes cadge a lift off her, in her new motor , and bus it back to nongkers...

14 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Daily train from bkk to patty , last time i used it dept bkk 7am , milktrain..

• 4 weeks later...

Update:

I did a visa run to Vientiane and I ended up using bus 407 VIP back to Pattaya from Nong Khai. 

The Air Asia flight from Udon Thani to UTP was not an option as it departs 1400 hrs. Passport pick up was 1330 and by the time cleared immigration and got to the bus station it was 1545 hrs.

The trip took 13 hours, dropped me off at Sukhumvit and Pattaya Klang. It was safe and not having to change buses was a blessing.  Well worth the cost of only 754 baht.

Left Monday morning at 5 am and returned Thursday morning  at 5 am with the new tourist visa. So 3 days total if you time everything correctly. 

Archived