Any buses running beween Mukdahan, Song Khon and Khong Chiam

Alex Alan

Hi,

After travelling Mukdahan, I will head south to Song Khon, Khong Chiam and Ubon Ratchathani.

The ideal route is: Mukdahan - Song Khon - Khong Chiam - Ubon Ratchathani.

Are there any buses running from Mukdahan to Song Khon? And Song Khon to Khong Chiam?

Best regards

Alex

Not sure about any direct buses to Song Khon from Mukdahan. You will probably have to go to Khemmarat first and then get a bus or van to Song Khon.

Then from Song Khon to Khong Chiam should not be a problem since they are both on 2112 that runs parallel to the Mekong.

Alex - I don't think the buses from Khemmarat to Mukdahan on the #2034 are going to be deluxe or tourist type buses only vans and you may need an interpreter if you can't speak Thai Lao?  Highway #212 is the major road and has better service, to be honest the #2034 Road doesn't offer great views of the Mekong River. I travel it a few times each year but am independent and on my motor bike.

I can't speak Thai. It seems that this route has a lot of unknown and uncertainty, I am thinking to change.

Actually the only reason I stay in Khemmarat or Song Khon is that it is very close to Hat Chom Dao and Sam Phan Bok which is much cheaper to hire a songthaew or taxi to visit these two places.

I am considering to hire a taxi to visit Hat Chom Dao and Sam Phan Bok from Khong Chiam. Any idea how much will that be?

Thanks and best regards

Alex

Ubon Ratchathani is a large Isaan city and has a great fleet of taxi's, are reasonably priced and you don't have to ask them to turn on the meter. (my experience)

There is a resort at Sam Pan Bok (3000 holes) and they had longtail boats and would probably assist in transportation.  I took family there once but can't remember the name of the resort but there are probably more as it is popular with the Thai people, some hotels don't advertise online in English and it makes things difficult for farangs without Thai companions?  You must have a real interest in rock formations! 

It may worth your while if you fly into Ubon Rat. and bus (or mini van) to Khemmarat going thru Amnat Charoen.  Most farang visitors in these slightly off the track destinations use tours or have family members drive them around.   Good luck Alex.

Hi Gerry,

Thanks again for your information. Yes, there is a resort at Sam Pan Bok. The name is Plaifah Resort Ubon ปลายฟ้ารีสอร์ท สามพันโบก. That's the reason why I go to Song Khon for my original plan. However the unknown and uncertain public transport make me change my mind.

According to the map, Khong Chiam is closer to Sam Pan Bok than Ubon Ratchathani. That's why I consider to charter a taxi from Khong Chiam.

Archived