Nigerian suspect nabbed as police unravel Phuket ‘romance scam’

snoop1130

Nigerian suspect nabbed as police unravel Phuket ‘romance scam’

By Kornkamon Aksorndech
The Nation

800_8b9e562d81f4400.jpg

A 38-year-old Nigerian man has been arrested in Bangkok for allegedly operating bank accounts and arranging money transactions as part of a so-called “romance scam”.

The suspect is being returned to Phuket, where the arrest warrant was issued on July 9 on a charge of conspiracy to commit fraud. 

Immigration Police Bureau chief Pol Lt-General Sompong Chingdoung told a press conference on Thursday that police made the arrest on July 19 at a condominium in Bang Na district. During the raid they also seized 14 items of evidence, including several bankbooks, ATM cards and money transaction slips, as well as the suspect's cellphone.

The romance scam was perpetrated by a gang claiming to be white businessman, who feigned romantic intentions towards their victims via social media. After gaining their trust and affection, the gang coaxed the duped women into transferring money to bank accounts they controlled.

One victim in Phuket allegedly lost Bt897,400 to the scam. Police are now hunting for the accomplices of the 38-year-old suspect.

Sompong said that investigators found that the suspect was using bank accounts that had been opened by Thai nationals in exchange for payment. The gang had opened a front company to transfer the ill-gotten money to accomplices overseas.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30373659

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-25

29 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

A 38-year-old Nigerian man 

29 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The romance scam was perpetrated by a gang claiming to be white businessman

Blimey .. I'll take it there was no Skype'ing then ...

1 minute ago, Justgrazing said:
32 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

A 38-year-old Nigerian man 

32 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The romance scam was perpetrated by a gang claiming to be white businessman

Blimey .. I'll take it there was no Skype'ing then ...

Could have used makeup. Remember the Black & White Minstrel Show - but in reverse?

The voice could have been a weak point though - just as long as no one said Bwana by mistake.

According to lots of articles this is not a romance scam. This is a greedy women want rich guy scam.

They wouldn't lose any money if they would exchange romantic words.

They lose money because they want more money. That's greed and not romance.

And in a way it's funny that black African guys, who are normally not exactly preferred by women,  pretend to be white guys with money. And women send money to those "white guys". 555

6 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

According to lots of articles this is not a romance scam. This is a greedy women want rich guy scam.

They wouldn't lose any money if they would exchange romantic words.

They lose money because they want more money. That's greed and not romance.

And in a way it's funny that black African guys, who are normally not exactly preferred by women,  pretend to be white guys with money. And women send money to those "white guys". 555

No wonder this thing appears so frequent, plenty of greedy ladies out here.....supply and demand....

16 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

One victim in Phuket allegedly lost Bt897,400 to the scam. Police are now hunting for the accomplices of the 38-year-old suspect.

Must have been the big carrot that they dangled ?

Richardcoleman,  I am not Nigerian, but I am black American, and I stand up.  I know how most Thai people think about dark skin, even their is at a disadvantage.  I was married to Thai lady from a prominent family for 34 years.  Sad my wife died of breast cancer 18 years ago.  She was more concerned bout the heart. What most Thai ladies don't know about is the skin maybe white but their heart is bad for many. Wish so many you you on this  site would stop putting yourselves above others.  Yes, you like the Thai ladies for something to brag about to your friends here and back in your country.  There you can not fell that you above others.  You come to thailand and think you are king and expect to be treated like one.  I know that does not applies to all whites, but it does to many of you on this site.  May God bless you and give you a good heart and mind.

17 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

what does that "Romance Scam" font remind you of?

The so called "Romance scam" of Thai women is there with little or no publicity.....How many foreign men have lost everything after meeting a Thai woman.

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

Would the only honest Nigerian in Thailand please stand up ? 

I'm scrolling down before asking the same , you beat me to it.   Why oh why don't those at Imm. ask every Nig/Nigerian that turns up at Imm. What is your reason for being here ? English teacher hmm , or is that only for Cameroonians. I am not a racist but you show me 1 Nigerian cheropodist and I will admit de feet.

Thais are the only people I know that get scammed due to their own uncontrollable greed and manage to try and turn it into themselves being the victims.

They actually believe they deserve sympathy. I class it as they are getting a taste of their own medicine from ' Hansum man '

Any other people in the world, largely, would be too embarrassed to admit they had been taken in by it, let alone report it so they can be laughed at by all and sundry.

In recent months, a friend of my other half, came to the house. She had befriended somebody online and he had fallen in love with her and wanted to send her Gucci bags, 20 baht worth of Gold, perfumes, and a host of luxuries etc. She was so excited and is married to a mid level policeman. This woman is not a silly teenager, she is mid 40s, with her own business.

The only thing she had to do was send the money, 20,000 baht, to get it released from customs.

This brought up two flashing warning lights.

1. She was trying to rope me in as to how she should go about getting all this new found wealth.

2. She didn't want her husband to know.

She did not believe me that it was a SCAM.

Thai people are involved in this somewhere along the line, I read a while ago they normally have a poo ying pretending to be from customs calling the victim of the scam saying something like the goods have arrived but you need to pay the duty as of yet I dont see any Thai's getting arrested, maybe later

Archived