BANGKOK
farang1979

Passport damaged

Just found a bulk in my shorts which when I reached into my pocket I found to be a soggy British passport.

The passport itself is okay, as are the biometric details, however the real issue is the stamps. My extension of stay is blurred however I can just make out the date.

It’s been about 5 years since I had a lost passport replaced (another story) so I’m a little rusty on the process. I know a replacement passport is a given, however what about transferring stamps and what do I need from embassy etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for this Roy. But the guy in this document is talking about replacing a passport and transferring stamps where the passport isn’t damaged. Any ideas?

That makes it more like a lost than a damaged passport. You still need to go to the UK Embassy and the Thai police. Read through this thread. 

Particularly comments like this: 

These threads talk about lost passports. I still have my passport. It isn’t lost so I wouldn’t need to report it to the police?

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Apply for your replacement passport and request a letter from the passport office that asks Immigration to transfer the stamps and take them to Immigration.   The letter is usually issued automatically, though.

• Like 1

Apply for your replacement passport and request a letter from the passport office that asks Immigration to transfer the stamps and take them to Immigration.   The letter is usually issued automatically, though.

Apply for passport first. Wait for new passport to arrive? Then go to British Embassy with new passport and damaged one asking for letter confirming new pp. Then go to immigration with new stamps. Right?

This fits under "destroyed".  You should still keep it in case you are required to surrender it.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, farang1979 said:

Apply for passport first. Wait for new passport to arrive? Then go to British Embassy with new passport and damaged one asking for letter confirming new pp. Then go to immigration with new stamps. Right?

The Embassy is not involved in this.  Apply for the new passport at The Trendy, Soi 13; the passport office in Trendy provides the letter with the new passport.    Take them and the old passport to Immigration for the stamps transfer.

Edited by Just Weird
  • Like 1

Thanks. Will check at CW if a new passport is needed first. Does anyone know if there is a form or anything for reissuing the stamps ON MY EXISTING PASSPORT in this case? Or is it literally turn up at CW and ask if it can be done?

That’s good Trendy now issue a letter for the stamps now anyway.

Thanks. Will check at CW if a new passport is needed first. Does anyone know if there is a form or anything for reissuing the stamps ON MY EXISTING PASSPORT in this case? Or is it literally turn up at CW and ask if it can be done?

That’s good Trendy now issue a letter for the stamps now anyway.

If you can still barely read the dates, I’d just go when it’s due.

It once happened to me and my tourist visa stamp obtained from London was seriously smudged in the wash, which caused me some worry in the week before my due departure.

I was taken aside and the official was genial (and smiling.) He asked me if I had got the original receipt that came back with my passport.

By some fluke I had. He settled for that.

From now on I studiously keep all such receipts.

50 minutes ago, Beechboy said:

It once happened to me and my tourist visa stamp obtained from London was seriously smudged in the wash, which caused me some worry in the week before my due departure.

I was taken aside and the official was genial (and smiling.) He asked me if I had got the original receipt that came back with my passport.

By some fluke I had. He settled for that.

From now on I studiously keep all such receipts.

Years ago, I went into Canada from the US for business.  At the time, a driver's license was good enough.  At airport immigration, I pulled out my old paper driver's license, which promptly fell apart in small pieces.  Into the back room ...  the fellow there examined the pieces, shook his head as if to say "You dumb <deleted>".  He let me in.  It was in Alberta.