Passport damaged

farang1979

Just found a bulk in my shorts which when I reached into my pocket I found to be a soggy British passport.

The passport itself is okay, as are the biometric details, however the real issue is the stamps. My extension of stay is blurred however I can just make out the date.

It’s been about 5 years since I had a lost passport replaced (another story) so I’m a little rusty on the process. I know a replacement passport is a given, however what about transferring stamps and what do I need from embassy etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Thanks for this Roy. But the guy in this document is talking about replacing a passport and transferring stamps where the passport isn’t damaged. Any ideas?

Apply for your replacement passport and request a letter from the passport office that asks Immigration to transfer the stamps and take them to Immigration.   The letter is usually issued automatically, though.

Apply for passport first. Wait for new passport to arrive? Then go to British Embassy with new passport and damaged one asking for letter confirming new pp. Then go to immigration with new stamps. Right?

12 hours ago, farang1979 said:

Apply for passport first. Wait for new passport to arrive? Then go to British Embassy with new passport and damaged one asking for letter confirming new pp. Then go to immigration with new stamps. Right?

The Embassy is not involved in this.  Apply for the new passport at The Trendy, Soi 13; the passport office in Trendy provides the letter with the new passport.    Take them and the old passport to Immigration for the stamps transfer.

Thanks. Will check at CW if a new passport is needed first. Does anyone know if there is a form or anything for reissuing the stamps ON MY EXISTING PASSPORT in this case? Or is it literally turn up at CW and ask if it can be done?

That’s good Trendy now issue a letter for the stamps now anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Thanks. Will check at CW if a new passport is needed first. Does anyone know if there is a form or anything for reissuing the stamps ON MY EXISTING PASSPORT in this case? Or is it literally turn up at CW and ask if it can be done?

That’s good Trendy now issue a letter for the stamps now anyway.

If you can still barely read the dates, I’d just go when it’s due.

It once happened to me and my tourist visa stamp obtained from London was seriously smudged in the wash, which caused me some worry in the week before my due departure.

I was taken aside and the official was genial (and smiling.) He asked me if I had got the original receipt that came back with my passport.

By some fluke I had. He settled for that.

From now on I studiously keep all such receipts.

50 minutes ago, Beechboy said:

It once happened to me and my tourist visa stamp obtained from London was seriously smudged in the wash, which caused me some worry in the week before my due departure.

I was taken aside and the official was genial (and smiling.) He asked me if I had got the original receipt that came back with my passport.

By some fluke I had. He settled for that.

From now on I studiously keep all such receipts.

Years ago, I went into Canada from the US for business.  At the time, a driver's license was good enough.  At airport immigration, I pulled out my old paper driver's license, which promptly fell apart in small pieces.  Into the back room ...  the fellow there examined the pieces, shook his head as if to say "You dumb <deleted>".  He let me in.  It was in Alberta.

Don’t know about UK but US looks at mutilated passports with suspicion. When you exchange it will be confiscated, analyzed, and not returned. (Passport washing it’s called, they want to know if you have been to any dodgy regions).

Any missing pages you may not be issued a new one. As it is better to have all old passports for records it may be better to report it lost.

Know because about 20 years ago I visited my late Granny, she kindly threw my jeans in the wash, passport with. Major stink-eye from the usually kind folks at the Los Angeles passport office.

Don’t know about UK but US looks at mutilated passports with suspicion. When you exchange it will be confiscated, analyzed, and not returned. (Passport washing it’s called, they want to know if you have been to any dodgy regions).

Any missing pages you may not be issued a new one. As it is better to have all old passports for records it may be better to report it lost.

Know because about 20 years ago I visited my late Granny, she kindly threw my jeans in the wash, passport with. Major stink-eye from the usually kind folks at the Los Angeles passport office.

We’re less suspicious in the UK but not by much.

• 2 months later...

For anyone that needs it, email Trendy Building for an appointment. They will email back with a time and date from your three alternatives. Trendy is located on Sukhumvit Soi 13 and the nearest BTS is Nana.

Checklist for new passport:
1. Completed form
2 Passport photos
3. Credit card payment form
4. Proof of address (in English)
5. Appointment letter
6. If not lost/stolen your original passport which will be returned to you.
7. Again if not lost/stolen a COLOUR copy of EVERY page of your passport (blank or not) and with no receipts on the copy.

For anyone that needs it, email Trendy Building for an appointment. They will email back with a time and date from your three alternatives. Trendy is located on Sukhumvit Soi 13 and the nearest BTS is Nana.

Checklist for new passport:
1. Completed form
2 Passport photos
3. Credit card payment form
4. Proof of address (in English)
5. Appointment letter
6. If not lost/stolen your original passport which will be returned to you.
7. Again if not lost/stolen a COLOUR copy of EVERY page of your passport (blank or not) and with no receipts on the copy.

A color copy of every page?

A color copy of every page?

Yes, blank or not. Just don’t have your 90-day receipts or TM6 card or whatever on the copy. Unstaple them first and then copy. Copy places will usually think to only copy stamp pages. You need a colour copy of every page. Some pages are connected so that would count as 1 copy. This saves money on copies.

Archived