Chiang Mai airport uses CCTV clip to demonstrate danger of battery packs

snoop1130

Chiang Mai airport uses CCTV clip to demonstrate danger of battery packs

By The Nation

800_b207d51e6c58d3c.jpg

Captured from Facebook.com/chiangmaiairport/

Chiang Mai International Airport used an incident captured on CCTV of a tourist’s power bank catching fire as an example as to why such devices cannot be included in checked-in luggage.

The incident, which took place on July 21, did not cause any injuries as the tourist threw down her smoking handbag in time, and airport officials quickly extinguished the fire. Inspection showed that the power bank had exploded inside the handbag. 

Chiang Mai airport authorities said this incident proved that power banks can be dangerous, which is why officials have to be strict about them to ensure travellers’ safety. They also affirmed that power banks allowed to be carried onboard must adhere to the International Air Transport Association’s safety standards, namely batteries or power banks with a capacity of more than 32,000 milliamp-hours (mAh) will be prohibited, while no more than two packs of batteries with capacities of 20,000 to 32,000mAh can be take aboard. There are no limits to 20,000mAh capacity power banks.

Watch full clip at Facebook.com/chiangmaiairport/ :

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-25

1 hour ago, snoop1130 said:

no more than two packs of batteries with capacities of 20,000 to 32,000mAh can be take aboard. There are no limits to 20,000mAh capacity power banks

I see these 'powerbanks' - aka spare batteries, are being sold using big numbers to talk about their capacity. I'm guessing big numbers sell better, the gullible thinking they're getting  something powerful - hence 'powerbank'.

Normal speak instead of '20,000 to 32,000mAh', is 2 to 3.2Ah. It's not as impressive though, is it?

7 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Chiang Mai International Airport used an incident captured on CCTV of a tourist’s power bank catching fire

Made in China no doubt

This is what happens when you have no standards - money number one selling cheap substandard products into the market and that includes automotive products for buses etc ……………………...oh my brakes failed, is it any wonder since you bought them at the flea market

That's very scary.  I wouldn't want to be in a cabin where that happened in an overhead bin let alone if one slipped through in checked luggage.  It's available from a number of sellers on Amazon and I forwarded the video link to a couple of them.  Let's hope they are sensible enough to stop shipping them at least until the actual cause is determined.

vlcsnap-00013.jpg

I inverted the screen shot to make it easier to see the name on the case.

16 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I see these 'powerbanks' - aka spare batteries, are being sold using big numbers to talk about their capacity. I'm guessing big numbers sell better, the gullible thinking they're getting  something powerful - hence 'powerbank'.

Normal speak instead of '20,000 to 32,000mAh', is 2 to 3.2Ah. It's not as impressive though, is it?

It's 20 to 32 Ah.

2 minutes ago, Chris Renaix said:
16 hours ago, bluesofa said:

It's 20 to 32 Ah. 

You're absolutely right.

However, is one of those powerbanks rated that highly?

I didn't check my calculation, 'assuming'(incorrectly) 2 - 3Ah was what it would be, without thinking.

Do they really store 20 - 30Ah now? What sort of size are they?

I'm just looking at one I have right now from a year back - 5600mAh, so 5.6Ah It's 9cm x 2cm x 4cm.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

You're absolutely right.

However, is one of those powerbanks rated that highly?

I didn't check my calculation, 'assuming'(incorrectly) 2 - 3Ah was what it would be, without thinking.

Do they really store 20 - 30Ah now? What sort of size are they?

I'm just looking at one I have right now from a year back - 5600mAh, so 5.6Ah It's 9cm x 2cm x 4cm.

15cm x 8cm x 1cm can give you... 300Ah...  at least that's what is advertised.  I do not really believe in these "wonderbanks".  I guess 5 - 12 Ah are the ones most currently used.

It appears to be this one which claims 6700mAh to 10050mAh depending on the varient.  I think all this talk of "Chinese rubbish" and the like are a side issue - the reality is that almost all of these devices are made there and even if the product is well made in some other country, the batteries are probably sourced from a third party.  The difficulties Samsung and Apple have experienced show you can't judge a book by its cover (battery by its case?).

NWuin0vBRUGf._UX220_TTW__.jpg

Given that you can't take a medium size tube of toothpaste or shaving gel on a flight these days, these devices should be looked at much more critically and probably banned altogether.  I don't recall ever seeing anyone having a power bank examined at airport security even though CNX say they have regulations governing capacity.  They're probably not even eligible for Next Day Air delivery but OK in your backpack?

21 hours ago, bluesofa said:

20 to 32A/h

• 3 weeks later...

here is my advertised   25,000 mah storage battery  made in BKK sold in CM 

i bought 3 of them  two didn't work wouldn't charge 

i am happy with these now ... 

when i flew into usa stopover in Taiwan they were very insistent on my two batteries ..  and in usa (lower case till trump leaves) they were looking 

IMG_20190813_071528.jpg

On 7/26/2019 at 4:28 PM, Greenside said:

I don't recall ever seeing anyone having a power bank examined at airport security even though CNX say they have regulations governing capacity.

I've had my powerbank looked at several time at CM airport, but they've given up lately.

They also no longer bother about toothpaste unless you're really obvious about it.

Other Asian countries don't seem to care about the rules at all (Vietnam and Cambodia).

Archived